PDA

View Full Version : Happy Aussie Day cobbers!!

Wild Dingo
01-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Today 26 January is our national day titled strangely enough "Australia Day"

Maybe Sir Mike of the Field would care to aludicate our far flung brethren of its sygnificance?

Cheers! :cool:

Hwyl
01-25-2006, 09:30 PM
Tie your kangaroo down sport.

I didn't knpw the difference between Anzac Day (which I've celebrated) and Australia day so I looked it up.

Paul Pless
01-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Maybe Sir Mike of the Field would care to aludicate our far flung brethren of its sygnificance?
It must be a national day of going to the shopping mall, was it so named by the your national Chamber of Commerce. ;)

[ 01-25-2006, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

Bruce Hooke
01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Happy Australia Day!

huisjen
01-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Aussie Day Cobbler? What flavor?

Dan

Rick Clark
01-25-2006, 11:14 PM
G'DAY MATE happy holiday and all.. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Leon m
01-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Once a jolly swagman sat beside the billabong,
Under the shade of a coolibah tree,
And he sang as he sat and waited by the billabong
You'll come a waltzing matilda with me

Waltzing matilda, waltzing matilda
You'll come a waltzing matilda with me.

Down came a jumbuck to drink beside the billabong
Up jumped the swagman and seized him with glee
And he sang as he tucked jumbuck in his tuckerbag

Down came the stockman, riding on his thoroughbred,
Down came the troopers, one, two, three.
"Where's the jolly jumbuck you've got in your tuckerbag?

Up jumped the swagman and plunged into the billabong,
"You'll never catch me alive," cried he
And his ghost may be heard as you ride beside the billabong,

Authentic Australian Version, credited to A.B. (Banjo) Paterson

Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?"

Down come a jumbuck to drink at the water hole
Up jumped a swagman and grabbed him in glee
And he sang as he stowed him away in his tucker bag
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me'".

Up rode the Squatter a riding his thoroughbred
Up rode the Trooper - one, two, three
"Where's that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag?",
"You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me".

But the swagman he up and jumped in the water hole
Drowning himself by the Coolabah tree,
And his ghost may be heard as it sings in the Billabong,
"Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?"

shamus
01-26-2006, 01:55 AM
'Tis the day when decorations are handed out, mainly to the undeserving cronies of the gov't of the day, and to a few who deserve them. And 'tis the day when the 'opinion leaders' (most of whom ought to be in gaol) once again try to encourage us to flap flags. And it all occurs in the month when (each year)various lovers of other democracies' traditions hit the front pages suggesting that school kids should 'pledge allegiance to the flag' (chunda chunda). But what happens in fact is mostly, we go to the beach, and have a a slack day just as we always have.

shamus
01-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Hey True Blue, don't say you've gone
Say you've knocked off for a smoko
And you'll be back later on
Hey True Blue, Hey True Blue

Give it to me straight
Face to face
Are you really disappearing,
Just another dying race,
Hey True Blue.

Hey True Blue, is it me and you?
Is it Mum and Dad, is it a cockatoo?
Is it standing by your mate
When he's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue, I'm asking you...

Hey True Blue, can you bear the load?
Will you tie it up with wire,
Just to keep the show on the road?
Hey True Blue, Hey True Blue, now be Fair Dinkum

Is your heart still there?
If they sell us out like sponge cake
Do you really care?
Hey True Blue.

When she's in a fight?
Or will she be right?
True Blue, I'm asking you...

When he's in a fight?
Or is it just Vegemite?
True Blue ... True Blue.

PeterSibley
01-26-2006, 03:12 AM
G'day Shane, g'day Shamus....spent the day on a bar and shovel at a mate's place putting down holes for foundation piers smile.gif Good Day, my shoulders ache a bit,nice to know I can still do it ;)

Best way to spend the day
Peter

shamus
01-26-2006, 03:16 AM
Good onya Peter,.. that sounds true blue.. :D

Stiletto
01-26-2006, 03:19 AM
Best wishes Cuzzy. :D

Wild Wassa
01-26-2006, 03:34 AM
... and to you too brothers.

It was a good day, fish and chips and prawns, lots of beers, wind in my hair, a hoot on the water ... and a touch of sunburn. About as Ocker as it gets.

I was Assistant Starter for the Chief Minister's Australia Day Regatta today. The prize money was good for the winners ... as I am an amateur sailor, I chose to be an official and not to race.

The boat I restored for today's race 'Prime Time' won money ... now that was satisfying.

We aren't normally flag wavers in Oz, we are not hands on hearts but today the flag looked good and many wore the Southern Cross and Union Jack ... the tarnish was gone from 'our' flag today.

Today, I did not see our Eureka flag which has been stolen by the Republicans ... it was just as well. As I said, no tarnish on our flag today. Tonight I will go outside and look at the Southern Cross, that will finish the day nicely ... and it is the quarter finals of the Australian Open. What a hoot.

Did you know that a drink made from Bundy, condensed milk and an Emu's egg is a Diamantian cocktail ... now if I can only find my Emu's egg. She has been hiding them lately.

Warren.

[ 01-26-2006, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Tar Devil
01-26-2006, 06:22 AM
G'day, Mates! Aussie day, huh! Sounds like an extra Saturday to me!! http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

Great, as always, to hear from the lot of ya!

Phil

Wild Dingo
01-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Yep aaahh Aussie day... bloody ripper of a day to! Sun finally made an appearance blazin down from the blue bright and hot wonderous!
Me an the young fellas got stuck into gettin the new shed up what a right royal cockup that was! Well it all started when Dan Aaron and I decided it was beer oclock when it was actually only beer oclock somewhere else in the world! :eek: then sorta went downhill from there! :rolleyes:

By the end of our brilliant unsober Aussie day efforts a phone call was made by young Dan to his dad with the usual "Hey dad you doin anythin? No? Welll were workin on Shanes shed an mate we could do with another set of hands" then we had to sit back and terrorise ourselves at our "brilliant" efforts and the forthcomin lamblastin we were bound to recieve from his dad... so we consoled ourselves in true Aussie fashion and opened another beer while young Aaron arced up the barbie and started cookin

That was breakie on the way! :D

As I told Dan before we began "I really should wait till the sheds up before I have a beer mate I dont do "work" when Im drinkin" But bein Aussie day an me bein true blue fair dinkum dinky di Aussie through an through a beer was put in me hand and well... as I knew it would all downhill from there on so it was! tongue.gif

But after several beers Maurice Dans dad finally arrived on the scene... took one look shook his head and started work we started to get up to give him a hand but well he did shake his head and mutter somethin about "no you'll be right your more hinderance than help" and so rather than get him all upset we called out to Aaron to give him a hand and opened a new beer!

Gawd strewth it was hard... I tell yer watchin them two work was hell... I mean we had to move our deck chairs 4 friggin times to keep up with the shade! ;)

But when all was said and done when the dust had settled and finally Maurice waltzed over to the esky and abused us both roundly for drinkin all the coldies before goin over to the fridge an gettin both him an Aaron a nice coldie... the sheds skeleton was standin nice an solid

So the day was done... kids an missus buggared of into Bunbury to watch the fireworks and mingle with the sweaty mob in there... we four sat back an surveyed our handiwork :cool:

"Bloody beeuwdyful mate" says I "Flamin great job says I" says Dan "Too bloody right" says Aaron "SHUT UP" says Maurice... silence... "Aaahh well Ive almost got a shed" says I "yer so yer have dad" says Dan "yer me an Maurice did a bloody good job I reckon" says Aaron "SHUT UP" says Maurice

silence

"Whats with you grumpy" says Dan "yer whats up mate" says I Aaron just shook his head "Whats up?? Yer ask me whats up yer young bloody soak? YER ASK ME??? Righto yer bludger I'll tell yer whats up... there I was all ready to have a grand ol day watchin the cricket and downin a few quiet coldies with me mates and I gets a bloody phone call dont I right when Im about to go in to bat!! A bloody phone call! An whos it from? eh? YOU you young flamin sod but yer me son and well I answered the call you said you needed help so I dropped me game and bolted near on 100 klicks just to help you out and what do you do??? EH??? Sit back an drink!! While I BUILD THE BLOODY SHED!!" and shakin his head he takes another drink

Dan smiled as only a son can smile and lookin up at the now standin skeleton of a shed and over at his dad "yer but lookit that yer grumpy buggar!! We got a shed!!" Maurice shakes his head an opens another beer glarin yet smilin at his son "But yous to got to sit back in the shade an drink beer!!" "yeah??? Wasnt it you that said dont work hard work smart? Welll Who worked hard and who worked smart? I didnt work hard I know that much and Hell Im near phissed Im not sunburt either Im cool and near phissed oooohhh thats it you worked hard!! I worked smart!" Gawd thank god Dans not my son I woulda shot him! But Maurice heard his own words in his son and laughed

Then he got up and arced the barbie up again and we had a few more beers saluted our beloved country and Dan passed out on the ground Aaron wandered off to bed Maurice an I yarned for a couple of hours then he rolled out his swag and is presently snorin under the stars out the back

The missus has just toddled off to bed while the kids are long since asleep

ME??? Im still wired from all that soddin work!! :D

What a bloody great day!! What a fanbloodytastic Country! AUSSIE the great land downunder

Hell thats right! I was gonna say... I had the day off!! WHAHOOOO!! I actually was rostered to work but jacked up an told em "stuff that mates! I will work any bloody day BUT Aussie day! I'll work Chrissy day Choccy Rabbit day New Years day friggin queenies day any day BUT NOT Aussie day!" I didnt mention that wont work Anzac day or Rememberance day either but they didnt need to know that!! Nope this is the one day I refuse to work Australia Day is OUR DAY! and by gar I will celebrate it!!

Mind you when I went off at them I subsequently recieved the news that my rostered day off set for Monday was being moved to Friday so now Ive got 4 days off!! What a bludge!!! Still have to work tomorrow arvo at the other job but by crickey I will be havin 3 1/2 days off to do me shed!!!... ahem well maybe Maurice and Aaron will do me shed?!!! Nah I will finish it over the next two days ;)

[ 01-26-2006, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

skuthorp
01-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Australia Day eh? Down here in victoria it's a heat wave, bushfires, wind storms, hail, downpours, 93% humidity. All in the same day! :eek:

PeterSibley
01-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Move to SA mate ...at least you only get ONE of those a day :D