PDA

View Full Version : ¡Albert Pujols es mi héroe!

John of Phoenix
10-18-2005, 12:19 PM
That ball still hasn’t come down!!
Has anyone ever seen a homer in the Astrodome like that one? 43,000 screaming fans INSTANTLY gone mute! The only thing to be heard was the crack of the bat and the dumbfounded losing Astros’ pitcher exclamation, “Oh my God!” as he watched to ball sail into the stratosphere of the Astrodome.

One strike away from their first World Series and – CRACK!

Crushed it.
Crushed the fans.
Crushed the Astros.

¡Vive Pujols!

Bruce Hooke
10-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Yup, I saw that. If ever there was an example of "it ain't over 'till it's over" in baseball, that rally in the 9th was it. We'll see what happens in St. Louis later this week...

Bruce Hooke
10-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I do think that Eckstein deserves a lot of the credit. He was the one who, on a 1-2 count with 2 outs, got in a hit that put him on base and kept the Cards alive.

Jim Hillman
10-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Now John, Lidge should be your hero for giving Pujols something to hit. tongue.gif ;) Bad call by Garner, he should have walked Pujols because Lidge struck out Sanders.

Dave Fleming
10-18-2005, 12:45 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/10/17/sports/baseball/18astros2_583.jpg

Not a baseball fan but, the description by John sounded so dramatic I read the article in the NY Times which included the above photo.

Jim Hillman
10-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Dave, he hit that ball so hard I'd bet that ball is puckered on one side.

BTW, it's too bad we have to go back to St. Loius, I didn't want the birds to lose their last game on Busch Field. tongue.gif ;)

[ 10-18-2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Jim Hillman ]

brad9798
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
That'd be Busch STADIUM, Jim! ;)

The Astros were something like 131-1 over the past two years when leading after eight innings.

DEFINITELY Eckstein is a catalyst.

Then, in all honesty, I can't believe some of those pitches were called 'balls' to Edmonds.

Then, Lidge had a mechanical error and left that slider (?) over the plate ...

So much for the celebrating happening in the Astros dugout with two strikes on Eckstein. tongue.gif

Poetic justice.

And NO WAY was Garner going to walk Pujols and move runners up ... now, if first base was open, he would've gotten a pass to be sure.
-------------------

An average series now has a chance to become a good series ... or even a great one.

Cards in seven!

John of Phoenix
10-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Bruce, you're absolutely right, Eckstein was the MVP of that game in my book. Awesome!

Jim, isn't Lidge T.H.E. closer for the Astros? Got to be a hit to morale to have the Man blown out like that.

Fox headline (FWIW)- "Blown save could be hard to overcome."

Lookin forward to the rest of the season.

Jim Hillman
10-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by brad9798:
That'd be Busch STADIUM, Jim! ;)

DEFINITELY Eckstein is a catalyst.

Then, in all honesty, I can't believe some of those pitches were called 'balls' to Edmonds.

Then, Lidge had a mechanical error and left that slider (?) over the plate ...

So much for the celebrating happening in the Astros dugout with two strikes on Eckstein. tongue.gif

Poetic justice.

And NO WAY was Garner going to walk Pujols and move runners up ... now, if first base was open, he would've gotten a pass to be sure.
-------------------

An average series now has a chance to become a good series ... or even a great one.

Cards in seven!STADIUM, got it. ;)

Eckstein, what is he 12 years old? Future Hall of Famer for sure. We've really been giving him a workout, hitting all those balls right to him. :(

Those calls at the plate usually even out over time but what has killed both teams are the players left stranded on base, the pitching has been great for both teams.

Lidge got rattled by Eckstein's hit but then that has happened over the last 3 games. I think Garner should have let Wheeler pitch to a couple of more batters, he was hot.

The Astros have a long history of failing to close the deal on the league championship, that's why you didn't see Biggio celebrating early.

I say this series ends tomorrow in Busch Stadium.

Jim Hillman
10-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by John Teetsel:
Jim, isn't Lidge T.H.E. closer for the Astros? Got to be a hit to morale to have the Man blown out like that.

Fox headline (FWIW)- "Blown save could be hard to overcome."

Lookin forward to the rest of the season.John, that's part of the problem they've been leaning hard on him. I'd bet he's thrown as many pitches in the last 5 games as any starter on either team. You can only go back to the same well so many times. I'm looking forward to tomorrows game, we swept the birds in Busch Stadium the last time we played them in the regular season. I've got everything crossedand I'm knocking on wood.

John of Phoenix
10-18-2005, 03:08 PM
I say this series ends tomorrow in Busch Stadium. :D :D Wanna bet? :D :D

brad9798
10-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Yea, but Jim ... a two-game series isn't really a sweep.

;)

It'll got to seven games ... then either way, I hope the NL team beats the ChiSox!!!

:cool:

Jim Hillman
10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by John Teetsel:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> I say this series ends tomorrow in Busch Stadium. :D :D Wanna bet? :D :D </font>[/QUOTE]I've been an Astros fan too long, :D :D NO :D :D .

[ 10-18-2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Jim Hillman ]

John of Phoenix
10-18-2005, 03:35 PM
LOL. (Really!)

Good one. :D

Jim Hillman
10-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by brad9798:
Yea, but Jim ... a two-game series isn't really a sweep.

;)

It'll got to seven games ... then either way, I hope the NL team beats the ChiSox!!!

:cool: We take what we can get. :D ;)

If it goes to game 7 then at least we will have seen a real battle, whoever wins.

Donn
10-18-2005, 04:09 PM
I went to bed in the 8th. Good timing. Saw the replays, though, and it was a right smart smack! It's gonna be unusual with no baseball on tonight.

brad9798
10-18-2005, 07:26 PM
YEA!

I miss baseball tonight! :(

Actually, it might be nice to have my friend, Joe Buck (fellow boater) call the local game Wednesday!

Call me Joe!!!!!

Dave Fleming
10-18-2005, 07:54 PM
It's gonna be unusual with no baseball on tonight. O&O East, ya do have the SOS Coast Guard program on Discovery Channel tonight. ;)

The Gentleman Sawyer
10-18-2005, 08:30 PM
John, the Astros don't play in the Astrodome anymore.
The Gentleman Sawyer

John of Phoenix
10-18-2005, 09:17 PM
The first game I ever saw in person was that record setting 24 inning monster between the Astros and the Mets in 1968 in the Astrodome. 1-0 Astros in over six hours defines boring baseball. I'll always think of it as the Astrodome, but you're right, Minute Maid Park it is.

The Astrodome, Candlestick, Riverfront, all the rest; sold to the highest bidder. Several times over in some cases.

Ha! It all started with Wrigley didn't it?

Paul Scheuer
10-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Brad9798 wrote
I hope the NL team beats the ChiSox!!!
First mention of the 2005 American League Champions. Seems to an unwritten rule of silence here.

What will really be interesting is If the Cards happen to squeeze out the NL Pennant, the cross-town arch-rival Cubs fans will have to decide who they hate most.

The Gentleman Sawyer
10-19-2005, 04:24 AM
John, I saw the other day where Busch Stadium is history after the season ends. Sorta sad.
The Gentleman Sawyer

brad9798
10-19-2005, 07:53 AM
VERY SAD! :( Gent. Sawyer!

But the new 'old-school' one is really, really cool!!!!

Time marches on!!

Busch is one of the last mixed use giant circle stadium ...
---------------
I think Chicago fans will unite against the Astros or Cards, Nick.

smile.gif

Jim Hillman
10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Paul Scheuer:
First mention of the 2005 American League Champions. Seems to an unwritten rule of silence here.I think that the Sox made a mistake by letting their starters pitch complete games. One, it's not likely that they will be able to do it in the World Series (what the stats on that I wonder?) and two, how long has it been since their relievers & closers have worked? If they have to go to the bullpen will they have a meltdown?

Jim Hillman
10-19-2005, 11:20 PM
Brad, it was a good series and the Cardinals are a heck of a great team, the Cards fans are great too. On to Chicago!

brad9798
10-20-2005, 09:53 AM
CONGRATS TO THE ASTROS!!!!!!

It would be nice for Bagwell and Biggio to get rings!!!!

Man, Oswalt is a freaking MACHINE!! Talk about digging deep and finding that extra umph!

Hats off to Phil Garner's team!!!
-------------

Heck, I thought I had the score backwards ... well, with all the cheering after the game.

You're right, Jim- you wouldn't see that type of thing in many other towns!!
-------------

Again, congrats to Astros!!!

smile.gif :cool:

John of Phoenix
10-20-2005, 09:57 AM
No kidding - what pitching! Cards never had a chance.

Well done.