PDA

View Full Version : The rain

ishmael
01-14-2006, 08:27 AM
It's going to get colder here. Fer Christ's sake, it's January!

But we are having these pours, these rain showers, now. I like having a roof where I hear them.

Donn
01-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Thunderstorm and 50F this morning. Strange weather for mid-January.

uncas
01-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Same in MD...great lightening strikes....lots of rain and fog....

bukuboy
01-14-2006, 10:22 AM
As an aside Ishmael, the heretic's guide to the 100 year roof goes something like this: 2 by 12 rafters spaced 16" apart. 3/4" AB ext. plywood screwed and coutersunk to joists with PL premium construction adhesive. 2 layers of 18 weight biaxial cloth with epoxy and a 3rd layer at the plane changes.One and 1/2 inch mild steel epoxy coated angle iron epoxy bonded to the cloth spaced every 3-4' . 3/8" galvanized riblath epoxied bonded between angle iron. One and 1/2 inch of "fat mud"( 1 part portland cement, 1 part autoclaved lime and 3 parts mason's sharp sand) using angle iron as screeds. Let fully dry for 2 weeks and then 2 coats of epoxy over it all and your choice of high UV inhibitor paint. ------Bukuboy

ishmael
01-14-2006, 10:23 AM
The wind from the South brings an inimitable smell of "papermill." You can't describe it, but once you know it, you can't forget it.

International Paper, Bucksport. Joe Dupere and I sailed my boat environ. It belched, more that once, into the mighty Penobscot.

Billy, across the road, is a manager, raising two kids on that paper mill. I ask why, to myself, but then I just shut up.

Bruce Hooke
01-14-2006, 11:38 AM
I've heard tell that folks in papermill towns refer to that as "the smell of money." 'Tis a nasty smell, but for those whose jobs are tied to the mill it means a good living.

Dolly Varden
01-14-2006, 11:42 AM
dioxin and chlorine are great stuff for the kiddies

huisjen
01-14-2006, 02:32 PM
The big question is: What is this relative heat wave going to do to the maple sugar season?

Dan

Bruce Hooke
01-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by huisjen:
The big question is: What is this relative heat wave going to do to the maple sugar season?

DanI'd guess that a key question will be what happens in the coming weeks. If it stays warm the maple sugar season may end up being so early that many people miss it. If it gets cold again maybe things will be OK. It does seem like there is a good chance for a complete mess of a sugaring season, eh?

It should maybe be noted that in the heart of maple sugar territory it has been warmer than usual but it does still seem like it is mostly staying at or below freezing, from what I'm seeing...

ishmael
01-14-2006, 10:01 PM
The weather is odd. As I've said, I don't remember such mildness. I've seen some mild January weather, but this is four days of forties, fifties even, and rain.

How it will affect the maple sugar is a question. Not much impact for me, but those who sugar are probably going to be hit. The trees want hard winter and a spring at the right time.

January is only half done. Time will tell. I keep ducking, expecting a blast. smile.gif

Wild Dingo
01-15-2006, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by ishmael:
The wind from the South brings an inimitable smell of "papermill." You can't describe it, but once you know it, you can't forget it.

International Paper, Bucksport. Joe Dupere and I sailed my boat environ. It belched, more that once, into the mighty Penobscot.

Billy, across the road, is a manager, raising two kids on that paper mill. I ask why, to myself, but then I just shut up.Funny I smell a weird tainting stink every day I turn up for the first job of the day (ala 5am - 5pm then home for an hour and off to the next one for 4 hours :rolleyes: ) But at the first job its the taintin retchin stink of caustic residue from the Alunimina refinery next door to the mine... its also called the "stink of money" to some... ever wonder why the scent of money has an all pervaidin retchin vile stink attached to it?

uncas
01-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Can still remember the smell of the papermill in Old Town when I was at Orono...Will never forget it... :eek:
Came through campus like the fog...it was carried in by...

huisjen
01-15-2006, 08:52 AM
...Three dozen burley men who themselves smelled vaguely of fish and alcohol, dressed in....

Oh wait. This isn't a story thread now, is it?

Dan

botebum
01-15-2006, 08:53 AM
The smell of a papermill always made me think of what burnt Cheerios might smell like. Others have suggested to me that they thought it just smelled like sh!t.

Doug

Mrleft8
01-15-2006, 08:55 AM
January 1971....maybe '72, was even warmer if my memory isn't completely off. I clearly remember working outside clearing brush, and other debris from my parents newly aquired property that had been abandoned (and therefore used as a dump) 20 years earlier, in a tee-shirt, and then bareback it was so warm. I also seem to remenber that that was the year of the great ice storm....