PDA

View Full Version : Forekeel progress - a question

Rich VanValkenburg
03-24-2002, 01:00 PM
I'm at the point where I'm carving the shape in prep for trying to cut the rabbet in, but I'm nervous as heck. Usually you build a boat around a keel, instead of building the keel to the boat, as I'm doing. I'm pretty nervous about cutting in the rabbet and want to make sure I don't overcut.
Maybe this'll help visualize it.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraida/p6fbbaad4ccfb5e90bfcb431c407b6b16/fdda080c.jpg
Help me out, please. What I'm thinking I should do is clamp in the new forekeel, attach the old floors to make sure I have the shape of the hull, and run a straight-edge down the frames to establish the bearding line. Then use a gauge that represents plank thickness to mark the rabbet line. Sound reasonable?
What has me spooked is that the rabbet is concave where the garboard is fastened and I'm having a hard time seeing it in my head. RGM, this might be fun for you, but I'm getting spooked.

Rich

[ 03-24-2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Rich VanValkenburg ]

Ed Harrow
03-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Oh please lead him well, I'm watching... smile.gif

Lulworth
03-25-2002, 11:22 AM
Ummm... I'm sure that I don't know the answer but then again I don't get the question (or the picture) either! As I recall, you mentioned previously that the rabbet for the planking on either side of the forekeel was taken off the old piece. When you carve the profile shape/rabbet wouldn't you do the same everywhere else? I'll bet my inexperience (I have a bent plank-like keel) is showing here!

David

Rich VanValkenburg
03-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Lulworth:
As I recall, you mentioned previously that the rabbet for the planking on either side of the forekeel was taken off the old piece.

DavidI haven't cut the rabbet in the new piece yet. I'm too.....SCARED. The old adage 'I cut it twice and it's still too short' running through my head.
Even this pic is hard to see, but the confusion is in how I should go about marking bearding line and rabbet line. Heck, I might just take the old planking and lay it up there and slowly whittle away the rabbet until it fits.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/pd03f1d48a5946901a0a2ccc15f55abf4/fe09b904.jpg

Lulworth
03-25-2002, 03:12 PM
Right, I see the problem. I know that I am stating the obvious here and that it's a rolling bevel so its hard to shape but wouldn't you start by measuring the position of the bearding line (say distance off the inside surface) from the old piece at regular intervals (at each floor), then use your planking and bevel gauge on the boat (and maybe the old piece) and have at it? Say rough it out off the boat then make it perfect (sure!) after its bolted into position?

Good luck I hope to see some more insightful answers to this since I am facing a similar problem down the road.

David