PDA

View Full Version : OZ

Joe (SoCal)
11-24-2002, 09:16 PM
OOHHWWWEEE Got all ya Aussie's didn't I :D

This post is about the Wizzard of Oz we just finished watching it with our 4 3/4 year old.

Her comment
Why would you wanna go back home when Oz is so colorful ? Out of the mouth of babe's smile.gif
She wasn't scared of anything, me on the other hand those dam flying monkeys open all sorts of subconscious paranoia & fear :(

Meerkat
11-24-2002, 10:34 PM
Um, well... Australia is just about the most deadly continent on the planet.

9 kinds of deadly land snakes
sea snakes
red-backed spiders
brown recluse spiders
cone shells
blue ringed octopi
crockadiles
sharks
Steve Irwin ;)

[ 11-24-2002, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Gary Bergman
11-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Kinda makesyou wanna name your next dink 'Ruby Slippers'

ishmael
11-24-2002, 11:12 PM
Them damn flying monkeys indeed! What the hell is that film?

A tap into the well of sweetness and wretch of the American soul. Follow the yellow brick road: a song sung by midgets to a peaches and cream gal wearing slippers of rubies--crumpled off a dead witch's feet? Is it some kinda mirror, or a bad joke no one gets very well?

I had nightmares for months after it first aired on TV, when I was about six. Witches, and not Glinda, most every night it seemed.

What a masterpiece!

Frank Hagan
11-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Yeah, the flying monkeys. Monkeys should NOT fly, and I knew that even at 6!

Later, as an early teen, I saw all sorts of symbolism ... poppies making them sleepy, etc. ... but then that was during the late '60's. We thought Jim Morrison was a poet then too ("There's a killer on the road, his brain is squirming like a toad ...")

So why didn't WoOZ take the Academy Award that year? Best picture went to a film that is rarely shown on TV anymore but still considered a classic. I know no one gives a damn, but do you know what movie was released the same year and took the Best Picture Oscar?

Wild Wassa
11-25-2002, 12:24 AM
Flying monkeys? .... to us they are just drop bears.

Warren.

ps, ask an Aussie.

Wild Dingo
11-25-2002, 12:43 AM
well wes gots humungus hopping meeses falling bears monsterous birds that dont fly big mean suckers known as bungarras or goannas and other critters but flying monkeys?? :rolleyes: must be an Eeastern Staters thing?? :eek: ... mmmm wonder what theyd go down like on the barbie?? :cool:

Take it easy
Shane

Meerkat
11-25-2002, 01:28 AM
"The Wizard of Oz" won 2 oscars in 1939, one for best score and one for the song "Over the Rainbow". Judy Garland won a special Oscar for Outstanding Performance by a Screen Juvenile.

Many great classic films where released in 1939: "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "Dark Victory," "Beau Geste," "Wuthering Heights," "Of Mice and Men," "Stagecoach," "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," "Babes in Arms" (also starring Judy Garland), "Gunga Din," "The Women," "Young Mr. Lincoln," "Love Affair," "Goodbye, Mr. Chips," "The Hound of the Baskervilles" and "Gone with the Wind."

The best picture Oscar of 1939 went to "Gone With The Wind".

[ 11-25-2002, 02:30 AM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Greg H
11-25-2002, 07:46 AM
With the thoughts I'd be thinkin', I could be another Lincoln, if I only had a brain...... :cool: