PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy Joes

Tar Devil
04-09-2003, 04:15 PM
I'm looking for some children-friendly recipe variations. Got recipes from my Mom and my mother-in-law, but my kids won't eat either (they like the grocery store mix).

Any ideas?

Later,

Phil

Matt Middleton
04-09-2003, 04:18 PM
I can't answer your question, but man am I hungry for some sloppy joes now! :D

Matt

Ken Hall
04-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Kid-friendly? There was one that called for (in addition to the ground beef, natch)

Onion
Green pepper
Garlic powder
Ketchup (instead of tomato sauce or paste & water)
Salt
Pepper

Proportions? Until it looks and tastes right. Been a long time since I did it that way.

Meerkat
04-09-2003, 04:47 PM
* Purchase one (or more, as needed) can(s) of children's favored "store bought" variety of Sloppy Joe filling.

* Open and serve or discard contents as prefered. RESERVE CANS. Carefully wash out cans, avoiding damage to can labels and store in an unobtrusive place.

* The next time Sloppy Joes are made, use preferred home recipe. Place reserved cans on kitchen counter to suggest origin of mix. (Application of "new-improved" stickers to can may obscure reason for any preceived taste change)

(NB: Adding excessive quantities of ketchup to any dish will improve it's taste to kids ;) )

If all else fails, mention that the only alternative available is liver and lima beans :D

Tar Devil
04-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Ah, yes, Meerkat. That's the recipe I was looking for!!

Later,

Phil

Edit: Ken, that's pretty close to my Mom's (and my favorite) recipe. Just have to incorporate Meer's ingredients.

[ 04-09-2003, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Tar Devil ]

Meerkat
04-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Devil; It was intended as a joke. Regrets if you're offended.

ishmael
04-09-2003, 05:05 PM
'Sloppy Joes' was a seedy Key West Bar I visited a few times in the late seventies. An old haunt of Earnest Hemingway, it had become a place where women danced completely :eek: . Probably picked up since then, if I'm any judge of an economic boom. :D

Tar Devil
04-09-2003, 05:05 PM
??
Not the least bit offended... What did I say that made you think otherwise?

Actually, it was a good idea... make my Mom's recipe, put it in the cans and.. voila! Store bought Sloppy Joes.

Later,

Phil

Tar Devil
04-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Ish... these women; how many legs did they have?? :D

Later,

Phil

ishmael
04-09-2003, 05:21 PM
:D Rascal. I'm never gonna live that down!

Meerkat
04-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Tar Devil:
??
Not the least bit offended... What did I say that made you think otherwise?

Actually, it was a good idea... make my Mom's recipe, put it in the cans and.. voila! Store bought Sloppy Joes.

Later,

PhilSorry, misread you - blame the medium smile.gif

Concordia..41
04-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Ish - still seedy and this time of year so over run with spring break kids as to be untollerable -no matter how much alcohol comsumed. :rolleyes:

http://www.sloppyjoes.com/news.htm

See if it's as seedy as you remember:

Live Web Cam (http://sloppyjoes.com/sloppycam/)

Actually, that web cam thing might be kindof entertaining late nights :D

- M

edsr
04-09-2003, 06:29 PM
Tar Devil - I think the secret to good sloppy joe mix is the same as for good spaghetti sauce, slow cooking for a long period of time. Let the smells waft through the house and let the little Tar Devils get really hungry, a busy day out in the fresh air, NO SNACKS. Works every time.
edsr

Dutch Rub
04-09-2003, 08:13 PM
First thing I thought of was Key West-but I cant go back or I could be arrested :(

km gresham
04-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Meerkat is brilliant! Or he has lots of kids! Trickery works nearly every time :D

Sort of like the milk switcheroo - Pour lowfat milk into an old whole milk jug ;)