PDA

View Full Version : What the cat-hair is wrong with cut and paste

Phillip Allen
12-02-2004, 08:09 PM
Are we supposed to re-type all that neat stuff? I use cut and paste alla time...that way my posts are spell checked from "word". If I see a great article or if someone articulates something where I was struggling...why is the accusation of cut and paste a kind of epithet?

Edited to correct a misspelled word...

[ 12-02-2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Phillip Allen ]

Gresham CA
12-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Phillip,
Most people that dont like C&P dont have any thoughtful contribution to the thread but feel compelled to post to it anyway and that's the only thing that they can come up with.

edited to add: And to answer your original question, there's nothing wrong with cut and paste.

[ 12-03-2004, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Gresham CA ]

Boomkin Joe
12-03-2004, 08:35 AM
If only the C&P didn't bulge at times.

km gresham
12-03-2004, 08:58 AM
It all depends on who is doing it. smile.gif

Actually, I don't have a problem with it - it's a very effective way to dessminate information that might not be seen otherwise. If it's too long, or doesn't interest me, I just don't read it, but I don't mind people doing it. Even if they're just doing it to disturb a thread. smile.gif

What I do have a problem with is people posting huge pictures so that the thread can no longer be read easily (blowing up a thread). I find that rude and a bit juvenile.

LeeG
12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
As a proud c&per I suspect it can get to be like tossing a newspaper clipping in someones lap,,"read it",,"see..?",,"yeah, that's what I mean".
When the content is Ann Coulter or blatant spin then it's a little like the person is standing over you unkempt and a bit too close.

George.
12-03-2004, 09:24 AM
What's wrong with C&P? Simple. If we had a half-dozen more people starting as many C&P threads a day as one or two of the bilge rats do, there would be no room for anything else. If we can't all do it than none of us should.

Would anyone like me to do C&P threads of MY favorite articles every day, with no added commentary and no attempt to participate in a debate about them?

This is a FORUM, not a BULLETIN BOARD! Some people don't seem to know the difference, though...

uncas
12-03-2004, 09:26 AM
I have nothing against C&P's except perhaps their lengths...Some of them are huge...I also miss any comments from the individual who posts them..
It would be shorter....obviously, if individuals put their own thoughts on these threads, using the article as a source for their comments instead of 20 paragraphs someone else has written.

Gresham CA
12-03-2004, 09:29 AM
I agree 100% with that, James Andrews Melrose Johnston.

edited to add: I had to C&P the name. I got writers cramp. ;)

[ 12-03-2004, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Gresham CA ]

uncas
12-03-2004, 09:53 AM
GreshamCA
I understand...re: my name...Hereditary...I had no say in the matter at the time...
Heck, I can't even get anything monogramed...

km gresham
12-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Some people just have no sense about naming a baby! ;) :D

uncas
12-03-2004, 10:08 AM
Karen!
Perhaps so but on the bright side...I can't be mistaken for someone I'm not. ;)

uncas
12-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Karen!
Perhaps so but on the bright side...I can't be mistaken for someone I'm not. ;)

Bruce Taylor
12-03-2004, 12:08 PM
What's wrong with linking to prefab opinions from the Drudge Report? Nothing, nothing.

There's nothing wrong with whipped-cream-in-a-can, or premixed peanut butter and jelly, or factory-built birdhouses, or feeberglitz bassboats.

There's nothing wrong with any of that, except that it all bores me. If I come here at all, it's to read something I couldn't have found at the supermarket checkout. I come here (or, rather, I used to come here) hoping to see something surprising and original, not to sample the latest products from the Opinion Industry.

But that's me. Like a lot of the people who used to frequent this place, I'm a lousy consumer. I'd rather build a boat than buy one (much less hire somebody to sail it for me). I'd rather kick a ball around than pay to watch somebody else do it, and I certainly don't let professionals do my thinking for me.

However, if other people enjoy sharing off-the-rack C & P, that's fine. There's no rule against it, as far as I know, and there's certainly no rule that says I have to read any of it.

If you don't like elevator music, take the stairs.

mmd
12-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Nicely put, Bruce. :cool:

JimD
12-03-2004, 01:07 PM
I like cut and paste, even if there is no comment to go along with it. It can be useful information in it's own right without having to be spun by whomever posts it.

Joe (SoCal)
12-03-2004, 06:23 PM
I have nothing against C&P how else could I say most of what people who continually post using it is
CRAP :D
Especially if they don't accept responsibility and answer the tuff questions for what they Cut & Paste & Run C&P&R is what I really have problems with ;) Or how about posters who ONLY C&P&R and offer nothing to any other section of the forum. Kinda like our resident nepotism ( Boy I wish my family could work tag team like this one ) Stan in Drag smile.gif

[ 12-03-2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

alteran
12-03-2004, 06:32 PM
You Donít Need to Pay $200+ for a Phonics Program
Especially since there are a couple of programs that are just as good and can be purchased for less.
Discover the fun and easy way to improve your child's reading skills. Learning Phonics will not only help your child's reading and spelling, but to boost their self-confidence as well.

Donn
12-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
..Kinda like our resident nepotism..:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

"You too can be a resident nepotism. Operators are standing by to take your order. Just dial 1-800-stuff-it! So you don't forget, order by midnight."

Joe (SoCal)
12-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Donn ya related ??
Cause ya sure do sound like ya are ;)

Donn
12-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
Donn ya related ??
How do you answer a question like that? "Yes, I'm related?"

Joe ya literate??

Joe (SoCal)
12-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Na Donn I just have had a hell of a last couple of days hold on I'm about to post #3

I Doubt I will get any mercy, but at least I will give you all something to laugh and snicker at me about. :D

Oh by the way 99% of the time I just type with typos and spelling be dam I dont care, never ever have but you and Al go and have a party every time I make a mistake smile.gif

[ 12-03-2004, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Meerkat
12-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Now Joe, it's not going to do you any good to argue with the gardener! ;)

alteran
12-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
Now Joe, it's not going to do you any good to argue with the gardener! ;) A lot of those imigrant workers you think highly of are gardeners Meerkat and I have more respect for an uneducated gardener who works than I do for an educated man who lives off charity rather than taking a job that is "beneath" him.