PDA

View Full Version : hobbies other than our common wooden boats?

uncas
11-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Anyone out there collect historical manuescripts...art, historical letters..old maps, first editions?
jamj

Popeye
11-23-2004, 03:10 PM
I have a collection of beer bottles from all over the world. I keep them on the wall, so far I have collected about 99 of 'em... er wait a minute.

Phillip Allen
11-23-2004, 03:12 PM
I see competition pig pollin comin this-a-way...HOO-BOY!

uncas
11-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Phillip...Don't understand...I'm just a damn'd yankee.

alteran
11-23-2004, 03:16 PM
I had a customer who collected documents.

Collection letters and summons to court.

Had, past tense.......

Chadd Hamilton
11-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I have a complete set of Mork and Mindy trading cards(sans bubbelgum). Very historical :D

TGP
11-23-2004, 03:26 PM
I play the git fiddle. It's quickly turning into more than a hobby though as I progress in my playing. It's also the reason I have not finished my Windsprint.

I currently have three guitars. An Ovation acoustic/electric, a Fender Acoustic and my baby, a USA Fender Lone Star Stratacaster in Sunburst.

I recently bought another little Fender tube amp and now have two for 125 total watt output.

I'm playing through both at the same time using a stereo chorus pedal and a vintage Ibenez tube screamer. With twelve guage strings on the Strat, I've effectively duplicated SRV's fat Texas tone and sound.

This is my Strat.

http://www.rexrobards.com/riqueriquardo/images/n7294665_back.jpg

http://www.rexrobards.com/riqueriquardo/images/n7294665_front.jpg

[ 11-23-2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: TGP ]

uncas
11-23-2004, 03:27 PM
OKAY..perhaps a bad thread.... :D I happen to have other interests although I spend a lot of time on my boat and want her looking perfect.
I collect manuscripts...I collect artwork and etchings...ask your wife if she wants to see them... :D Kidding!!!!!
I have two prints...0ne 1740's of NYC harbor and another...same background different boats...1840's.
Looking for common ground.
I have one which is the original deed for 40 acres and a mule...I think its rare. Forty acres and a mule is in many history book but an actual certificate...never seen one
So, I am a damn's yankee. I would suspect that there are a lot of individuals out there who do more, have more interests than wooden boats...not that this is wrong, than what they post or have more interests

rbgarr
11-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Do parking tickets count? ;)

Phillip Allen
11-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Somewhere in the family (used to be in this house) we have a land-grant signed by President James Buchanan.

(the pig polin was a troll for an old southern joke...I can't remember it and was hoping someone else would)

alteran
11-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Ok, Ok. smile.gif
Many other interests but this time of the year crosscountry sking is what I'm looking forward to. Always go to the Birkie, http://www.birkie.com/. Americas largest cross country ski marathon. Sometimes ski the Korteloppet, the half Birkie. 16 miles. The last two times on wooden skis in the classic striding style.

Wooden boats and wooden skis. Outdoor fun with toys made from dead plants.

uncas
11-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Phillip...Didn't mean to take my annoyance out on you...You were available. I just felt that there are a lot of individuals on these threads who have a good deal to offer...interests etc.
I don't care whether someone collects beer cans...I think a Billy Beer can probably is right up there with an FDR signature...
I would love to have the first parking ticket ever issued... :D

BrianW
11-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Okay...

Since my boat was built a looong time ago, and I just maintain her, I have spare time for hunting and fishing. I really enjoy bear hunting (brown and black), and Mt Goat hunting. They'll both scare ya, but in completely different ways. smile.gif

Fishing for salmon and halibut, plus setting pots for dungies and shrimp are popular past times. Camping with the family get's wrapped up into that stuff too.

Plus I like to handload for my various rifles and handguns.

Sorry there's no fancy dancy hobbies, just the plain ordinary kind. smile.gif

uncas
11-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Alteran!
Love to ski...getting really expensive...Used to get away with free tickets when I was an EMT.
Have to look at my nephews now..One very likely will be in the Olympics in 2006..Have to wait and see. He is in the running though.

uncas
11-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Brian...I love fly fishing...I ain't good but it is fun! No, I don't have all of the expensive toys from ORVIS.
I do spend a lot of time working on my boat...She is only 56-57 years old but it does not stop me for looking for other things to occupy my time...
I often collect things which look great but have no idea what they may be worth...not that I would sell them. Sometimnes I try to find people who can tell me how best to preserve them for future generations...Not a cheap hobby. Took a print in the other day to be matted with an acid free mat, new frame...$130.00?
Ive got a ton of them...
Have a pitcher... I think it was probably the or one of the first political campaign items in US history... Saw an identical one in the Founding Brothers C-Span episodes ...Wonder who did/made it...wonder where it came from etc. Hence the thread.

Scott Rosen
11-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Wooden boats are an obsession; not a hobby. Therefore, I don't have time for anything else. ;)

alteran
11-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by uncas:
Alteran!
Love to ski...getting really expensive....Cross country skiing is as close to free as you can get here. A lot of us can ski out the door and could go for more miles than we are capable of at no charge.
Groomed trails owned by the state are common. $15 a year for a pass. Private trails generally are by donation or a few dollars a day.

Downhill though is expensive here, as it is everywhere I suppose.

uncas
11-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Scott...Tell me about it...wooden boats are an obsession...But...
I have spent thousands on mine...Does not mean that I don't have other interests....Can't be on the boat all of the time even if I would like to...It does not fit in the garage...I can't hang it on the wall. When winter sets in, I have to do other things until the ice melts.
Sails coming off this weekend. Wonder whether I can take Friday off? New cover going on..Wonder whether I can take the time off to be there...Cushions have to be stored etc.
The list goes on bit......
N0, wooden boats require a lot of tme, energy and money...No question about it.

PeterSibley
11-23-2004, 04:14 PM
Hobbies? Like Scott they're obsessions.Building the mythical boat and a small bronze foundry,the latter is the new one and very interesting.Going to be very useful for number one obsession too.

Hobbies would be collecting rainforrest seed, growing it on and slowly reforresting my 20 acrres .Nothing documentary I'm afraid.

uncas
11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Alteran!
If I see snow on the Delmarva Peninsula which stays around for more than a day...I'm with you...It doesn't happen very often....groomed trails or not.

uncas
11-23-2004, 04:23 PM
TGP...nice guitars! :D

Scott Rosen
11-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Sure, I have other interests. Just not a lot of time for them now. Maybe in a few years. Those of you with kids at home know the drill. My time is taken up by:

Wife and two girls

Work

Boats (sailing and working on them spring summer and fall; reading, studying and working on them in the winter)

Working on my house

Exercising

Reading

Community/religious stuff

I have a possible winter project in fixing up my bicycle, which I haven't been able to ride for close to 20 years. This year I got my knee fixed and I think I'll be able to use it.

Phillip Allen
11-23-2004, 04:36 PM
I used to be a buckskinner...it translates into shooting competition with muzzle loading rifles in general. I'd go to rendezvous and camp in a tipi (spelled several different ways and I never remember anyway). I tanned my own leather and sewed my buckskins. Built my own rifles (several) and shot in national competition (never at Friendship though). I've read a lot about the fur-trade era...an interesting history. One can get pretty deep into this hobby. It was an obsession while I was in it.

TGP
11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
I used to love downhill skiing until I moved to Peoria. :D I grew up in a rather mountainous part of the country with some really nice ski resorts. I became quite accomplished in it in my twenties and actually won a few medals in amatuer class downhill racing. I still have the build of a skier but a weak lower back. {old injury} I'd like to go again sometime but don't know if my back could take the pounding nowadays.

Dale R. Hamilton
11-23-2004, 04:50 PM
I guess my hobby is running. I've been at it 35 years now, although not so fast and not long as I used to go. Five days a week, 4 miles a day at maybe 11 or 12 minutes a mile. Still at age 62, its kept me in pretty good shape- still have a resting pulse around 50, for my other hobby- drinking. I love Cinzano Italian vermouth, and a little later at night- single malt.

Phillip Allen
11-23-2004, 04:54 PM
I shore whish I could run again...plantar faciatus (sp)

uncas
11-23-2004, 05:02 PM
Mike!
had to do that in dendrology...Failed miserably.
Could not tell a maple from an ash! :D

jwaldin
11-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Hey Brian and Phillip, I've just bought a 12 gauge with a rifled barrel. There are some not so friendly grizzlies that wander through the yard. I've been wondering whether to mount a scope on it but someone said finding a scope that could take the recoil might be a problem. What do you think? Plus would the scope open up my eye socket if you know what I mean?

TGP
11-23-2004, 05:26 PM
A twelve guage with a slug barrel is still a close range weapon. You don't need a scope. if you are talking big grizzly, it might just make em mad.

I don't see how anyone could shoot such a majestic animal but to each his own.

After all, it is you that is in his yard.

[ 11-23-2004, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: TGP ]

jwaldin
11-23-2004, 07:19 PM
TGB I agree and would never go out of my way to kill a grizzly. Thanks for the opinion.
Yes I am in HIS yard.

BrianW
11-23-2004, 07:49 PM
I agree a scope is not needed on a shotgun used for bear protection.

I completely disagree that a bear somehow has more right to a certain parcel of land than a human. If you believe in God, you know He gave us dominion over all animals. If you don't believe in God, then we are all animals and therefore a bear should have no special rights.

Just were are we suppose to live? On one huge metal island in the middle of some ocean? Get a grip!!!

BrianW
11-23-2004, 07:50 PM
P.S. Shoot the damn thing, then it will be your yard for sure. smile.gif

[ 11-23-2004, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: BrianW ]

Phillip Allen
11-23-2004, 08:26 PM
I agree with the above. My smooth bbl 12 ga will keep standard rifled slugs in a 6 inch circle at a hundred yards with open sights...on the other hand I'm not sure that a bear at one hundred yards is ready to be shot at. A story told me by a guy who used to catch the things (zoologist); Take an umbrella and slowly open and close it while pointing at the bear (while he's watching of course)...do it several times, the guy swears it'll just scramble the poor thing's brains and he'll tuck tail and run. I tried it on my cat and it sure unnerved the cat.

[ 11-23-2004, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Phillip Allen ]

Phillip Allen
11-23-2004, 08:32 PM
To TGP, I don't want to hunt bears and they ARE majestic...on the other hand if one is in my yard I may feel obliged to incommode his majesty. Depending on the range, he may get ONE warning shot. If he does not depart forthwith, he will not depart at all.

alteran
11-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by MIke:
I have an obsene hobby or a fetish, that is seeking out smells of wood and identifying them for fun.I like to do that to. My favorite is pussy willow.

Kermit
11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Phillip, lad! Consider either a red-dot sight or a laser. Ferget the scope. I've used red-dots for pinshooting on revolvers and have come to like 'em. Should give you a good and quick target acquisition. Only trouble is they both use batteries, and you don't want the thing to go dead in a pinch. An alternative would be to mount a peep sight and take out the insert, creating a ghost-ring sight. It's durn fast and is surprisingly accurate.

Phillip Allen
11-23-2004, 09:28 PM
25 years of muzzleloading competition with open sights have spoiled me to simple sights...I do use apature sights on some rifles though...still simpler than optical sights.

Ken Hutchins
11-23-2004, 09:50 PM
Hunting - black powder, fishing, snowmobiling, antique cars.

brian.cunningham
11-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Car racing, which like wooden boats isn't so much a hobbie as an addition :D

I'm accross the country and have already participate in two races...with the rental car :D

TGP
11-23-2004, 10:25 PM
" completely disagree that a bear somehow has more right to a certain parcel of land than a human. If you believe in God, you know He gave us dominion over all animals. If you don't believe in God, then we are all animals and therefore a bear should have no special rights."

This isn't 1870. Jack London is dead. We've encroached on the land so much that the original inhabitants are in danger of extinction.

As far as God is concerned, I commune with him everyday.

BrianW
11-23-2004, 11:12 PM
and God tells you that hunting bears is bad?

editted to add...

Which would be funny, as I pray to Him everytime I go bear hunting.

[ 11-23-2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: BrianW ]

Dale R. Hamilton
11-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Phillip- whoa wait one- You say take an unbrella and point it at a GRIZZLY BEAR- so he can see it and then slowly open and close it?? Ah, dial us up again after you do this Phil, we would all be anxious to see if you are still alive.

KimWard
11-24-2004, 10:03 AM
Triathlon and bagpiping,I'm a middle of the band piper in the North Saskatcheawn Regiment Pipes and Drums. I'd like to collect maps. I've got a large number of maps and atlases of little historical value.Anybody out there collecting antique maps? Any pointers for someone on a budget? Kim

jwaldin
11-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Brian etc., What do you think the killing range is for a 12 quage with rifled bore-----asuming the slug hits the heart or the brain?
If I ever must shoot I want to put it down not just wound it.

[ 11-24-2004, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: jwaldin ]

Phillip Allen
11-24-2004, 01:05 PM
"Phillip- whoa wait one- You say take an unbrella and point it at a GRIZZLY BEAR- so he can see it and then slowly open and close it?? Ah, dial us up again after you do this Phil, we would all be anxious to see if you are still alive."

I never tried it...nothing but black bears around here and they're not confrontational I don't guess. Joe Mayo (has relitives with some hospital) swore it would work...If confronted without a rifle/shotgun and I DID have the umbrella (fat chance) I would try I guess. smile.gif

John C. Gresham
11-24-2004, 01:32 PM
I collect comic books, action figures, trading cards, and dust.

BrianW
11-24-2004, 01:47 PM
jwaldin,

I hate doing this to a perfectly good thread, so I'll reply to your question on the 'Bear in my Yard' thread.

Thanks

[ 11-24-2004, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: BrianW ]