PDA

View Full Version : Caption Contest.

Rex Fearnehough
03-17-2003, 07:14 AM
http://grunt.space.swri.edu/images/vn/mems/bspring1.jpg
Thanks to the forumite that donated this picture.
It deserves a caption.
Do not involve the true heroes. I'm sure you wouldn't anyhow.
It's Stan's hometown.

huisjen
03-17-2003, 07:42 AM
That's kind of sad, actually.

Dan

Chris Coose
03-17-2003, 07:46 AM
This would be an excellent example for why we need international Forumites.
I have become accustomed to directions given this way.
Road to stupid.

stan v
03-17-2003, 07:56 AM
I see that the Patriots are at it early this morning. Small town America can have correctional facilities and honor their veterans. For you, Danorex, that think this will keep the aunties from ridiculing vets is outrageous. You, who think of yourself as above the fray, intelligent, open minded. You are exactly what you think I am. You're a loser.

huisjen
03-17-2003, 08:23 AM
Did anyone else just hear some incoherent buzzing?

Rex, on further consideration, I guess I'd say that Prisons are generally placed outside of downtown. Memorials are usually placed inside of downtown. If the sign post had the name of a town listed, or maybe milages to each thing listed (which is probably what Maine would do) then it wouldn't seem so strange.

Dan

ishmael
03-17-2003, 08:25 AM
You guys are very strange. :eek: :( :D

huisjen
03-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Okay, I think I may have deciphered some of Gerbil Boy's secret code. I think he's implying that those who are anti-war are also anti-veteran and are ready to spit on soldiers. Apparently he hasn't noticed how supportive the whole forum is of Chad, or that I, and several others here, some of whom oppose the war, are vets.

I don't think he notes the subtle, sad irony or inappropriateness of placing those we honor next to those we revile.

Dan

Rex Fearnehough
03-17-2003, 08:34 AM
Stan, please read this again!

Do not involve the true heroes. I'm sure you wouldn't anyhow. Of course you would be the one to involve the vets.
I do not look on you as a loser Stan.
I look on you as lost.

[ 03-17-2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Rex Fearnehough ]

stan v
03-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Chris Coose:
This would be an excellent example for why we need international Forumites.
I have become accustomed to directions given this way.
Road to stupid.Danorex, what did you expect?

Rex Fearnehough
03-17-2003, 08:52 AM
I would have expected you to have done what I did, when I received the pic.
I wrote an email to your authorities suggesting that the sign be changed, in honour of your vets.
In the post by Chris there was no reference to the vets.
You are the only person that has involved them.
Sad.

[ 03-17-2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Rex Fearnehough ]

Sam F
03-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Here's a caption:

Once again the case is proved that neither the best nor the brightest go into state departments of transportation.

Judging by my own state's department of transportation (VDOT, AKA Road Nazis :D ) their administrators are incapable of rational thought.

mmd
03-17-2003, 09:02 AM
I wrote an email to your authorities suggesting that the sign be changed, in honour of your vets.

--------------------
T Rex But, Rex, Stan (and as Stan identifies so personally with Bush, probably the Prez feels the same) has often stated that he doesn't give a rat's a** about what foreigners think, even if it may be supportive and respectful.

In all seriousness, in recent months it seems that if you throw your whole-hearted support in with the USA, you get recognized as being irrelevant. If you do anything less, you are labelled as a subversive at best, an enemy at worst. It is a very difficult time to be a friend to the USA, these days.

Rex Fearnehough
03-17-2003, 09:15 AM
When I first received the pic I looked on it with humour, until I realised the disrespect that it shew.
I wonder how long the signs have been together.
You could probably tell me Stan.
I am sure that it has been objected to before, but maybe a little foreign imput would help.
Hence my email.

NormMessinger
03-17-2003, 09:38 AM
I'm dense. Of course they must mean the "Vietnam Veteran's Memorial" but that would make the sign to long. The sign is brown so it refers to a park, memorial, recreational area, etc., type location. The other sign in blue so refers to a town, facility, etc., so the justaposition makes no connection between the two.

It's okay by me to read religous connotations to unrelated things but yaall are making a stretch here to be indignant about something. Yes?