PDA

View Full Version : House designing...

Alan D. Hyde
02-03-2003, 01:25 PM
A year or so ago, I was told that at some website, there is freeware or shareware which makes it easy to draw and print floor plans, elevations, perspective views, etc.(of houses), on your computer.

At the time, I wrote a note to myself that I've since managed to lose.

Anyone know what site this guy was talking about?

Alan

Ed Harrow
02-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Not a clue, Alan, but read A Pattern Language before you get all wrapped up in the project. An absolutely fascinating look at "living spaces". You won't regret the time invested in reading it.

NormMessinger
02-03-2003, 01:46 PM
It isn't free but it is powerful. TurboCAD Floor Plan (http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?SP=10007&PN=5&CID=34654&SID=24366&PID=371713&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=346540000034655)

Forty bucks, cheap.

Figment
02-03-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm sure the AIA and AutoDesk will just LOVE me for saying this.....

man, for $40, take that software and RUN!

From what I can see you basically choose objects from menus and plunk them down into the drawing. this limits your flexibility and creativity somewhat, but man there can't be anything easier or faster!

If I may offer an unsolicited tip:
Sketch your thoughts on paper before you bother with the computer. I don't care how bad you think your drawing skills are. don't worry about accuracy or neatness. Use a big, fat, sloppy marker, not a nice sharp pencil.

You'll have a far greater connection with what you're drawing and you'll be able to test your ideas much more quickly, and you'll stumble across things you wouldn't have imagined. THEN use the computer to lay it out accurately and test the idea's practical merits. (doorswings, furniture clearance, etc..)

Meerkat
02-03-2003, 03:02 PM
Try the following on Yahoo, including the quotes:

"house design" free software

CAD free software

---------------
Lot of links come up.

http://www.homedesigntutor.com/ has "SmartDraw", a freeware version of their commercial products.

Joe (SoCal)
02-03-2003, 03:04 PM
HEY Meerkat speaking of design I sent ya a PDF file in an email did ya ever get it ?