PDA

View Full Version : Electronic rust prevention for cars

WWheeler
09-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Anyone heard of this? Does it work? There's claims out that it completely stops car rust, and there's counterclaims that it's a complete waste of money. It apparently works using some kind of cathode protection.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-29-2004, 11:10 AM
I used to have the opportunity to sell it, and didn't... I just never heard enough good things about it to feel comfortable. The good old oil spray is pretty hard to beat. ;)

The first rust prevention I ever used was advised by an uncle who was a body man. Take your used engine oil and a white wash brush. Coat the entire underside of the car, then drive down a dirt road for a couple of miles. :D

Victor
09-29-2004, 11:16 AM
That's not rust, that's the best theft-prevention system you can get!

brad9798
09-29-2004, 04:31 PM
Popeye- :D

What the hell is car rust ... never had it ...

alteran
09-29-2004, 08:11 PM
It does not work. It is a bogus system based loosely on cathodic protection of bridges and ships. On a car or truck its only value is to the vendor who sells it.

Do some internet searching and I think you will find the proof of what I am telling.

Al.

By the way if you do buy it try reversing the electrodes and putting it on a rusty car. If the process really works you should be able to plate metal back into the rusted areas. smile.gif

[ 09-29-2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: alteran ]