PDA

View Full Version : Western Washingtonians

Meerkat
03-01-2002, 07:25 PM
Greetings and Salutations.

I'm just starting out to build my first boat which is going to be stitch and glue design called a Medway Doble 15 by Paul Fisher (Selway-Fisher Designs).

I had no idea there where so many people in the Puget Sound area that where into building wooden boats. I sort of thought "Woodenboat" was for the goldplater New England crowd.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm going to have lots of questions from tools to techniques, and I hope you all can give good advice!

My first problem is where to find the space to build a 15' x 4'7" boat! Any suggestions?

mmd
03-01-2002, 08:22 PM
... the living room?

videoguy
03-01-2002, 08:39 PM
I know a guy that did that then cut a hole in the wall took out the boat and put in a bay window.He got a boat his wife got her window .and lived happly ever after.I built a 20 footer in my grarage,if you dont have one ,you could try building in the backyard the boat would be easy to cover with a tarp when you're not working on it . good luck , start building.

PugetSound
03-01-2002, 09:19 PM
I know a guy who was in the process of redecorating/expanding his home; he and his wife were living in a downstairs bedroom. Apparently she hardly noticed that the second floor master suite was taking a bit longer to finish than she'd expected. He launched his boat out of the unfinished upstairs bedroom (he'd even lofted the boat right onto the wood subfloor) and then proceeded to finish the bedroom. :cool:

Meerkat,
How long have you been in the Northwest? On the Seattle side of the water, you have the Wooden Boat Center (south end of Lake Union) complete with livery. On the west side of Puget Sound, you have the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Show (first weekend after Labor Day). If you have not been to the Wooden Boat show, then you owe it to yourself to get there. ;)

Meerkat
03-01-2002, 09:26 PM
I've been in the PNW/Seattle since '96. I know the CWB well and go down ocassionally to admire the boats again. I was a member once, but didn't find much helpful at that time, but i'm considering joining up again.

I hope to catch the Woodenboat Festival (at last!) this year.

Anyone got plans or suggestions for a temporary polytarp shelter sort of thing?

JimM
03-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Hi Meerkat
You can get a set of plans for a bow roof shed from http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html If you look at some of Ed Harrow's past Status Check threads you can see pictures of the building process of a bowroof shed. Ed covered his with plastic. You can contact him for more details.

Welcome from North Central Washington
Jim

[ 03-01-2002, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: JimM ]

B. Burnside
03-01-2002, 11:58 PM
Last time ashore I used a white poly tarp (over a frame of course) for my shelter. Oh, the light! A pure delight. It made an incredible difference in how easy it was to see what I was doing, and so the whole project was much more enjoyable.

Here is a picture of my little project and grandson under the white poly tarp. The shelter is mainly for sun and rain, not for winterizing a work place. The frames are crude but they work.
http://www.gartsideboats.com/pgimages/whitetarpandbrynn.JPG
This is a much more elegant example of a bow roofed shelter covered with translucent plastic. The frames are a work of art, the plastic is streched perfectly, and the boat is progressing every step of the way as a thing of beauty. Here there are a team of enthusiastic woodies bending the steamed frames. http://www.gartsideboats.com/pgimages/guyshelter.jpg
Meerkat, you wouldn't by any chance be Eric Meyer, would you? I have used the O'Reilly CSS book with great pleasure, and meerkats reign supreme in there.

Whoever you are, welcome to WBForum. It's a wild and wonderful world.

Barb

[ 03-02-2002, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: B. Burnside ]

capt jake
03-02-2002, 12:25 AM
I have seen a few builders here using the local storage facilities. Seems that is how Art Reed is doing at least part of it (judging by the pictures). The temporaries have some merit, though I like things a little dryer and warmer. :D

EdenRose
03-02-2002, 01:07 AM
I am too on Puget Sound and alsos building a
Paul Fisher boat that I started two weeks ago.
It is a stitch and glue design he modified for
glued lapstrake. It will be my first boatbuilding
project and I am doing it in my unheated barn.
I have the molds done, but need to wait for
warm weather so I can do my epoxy scarffs.
I would get a place with heat!!!!!

PugetSound
03-02-2002, 01:27 AM
EdenRose,
You don't need to wait for warm weather to do epoxy scarfs, nor do you need to heat the whole barn. Epoxy is exothermic, all it really needs is a little heat to get it started. A 100 watt bulb placed 6 inches from the epoxy for 10 minutes is plenty to get it started. Do some test pieces to convince yourself.

Meerkat,
You don't have to get too fancy when building a tarp shelter. Don't overdesign the shelter, just do what seems right. The primary purpose of the shelter is to keep the rain off of you and your tools. You will have to wait for warmer and drier weather to paint. Also, be aware that the different colors of the plastic tarps indicate different thicknesses of plastic and therefore different wear and tear characteristics. Do a search on "BainbridgeIsland" to find out more on the subject of tarps.

capt jake
03-02-2002, 01:35 AM
Yeah, but the constant heat or warmth is 'nice' on the tools. The old table saw and jointer don't like temperature swings, and for that matter, I like to be warm too. Guess we will have to talk to Jeff Renner, Steve Poole and the like, to put in a request? :D

JimD
03-02-2002, 01:59 AM
Yo, meekrat. I just registered with the WB Forum today, mostly for the sarcasm, but I have already found there is a lot of useful information here. I had no idea so many unemployed comedians are out there building wooden boats. I'm guessing you'll need a protected space of at least 15' x 4'7 to build your boat in, more if you want to keep yourself out of the rain as well. Where I live its so cold this time of year you need a small thermonuclear devise to get the epoxy to cure, but that's all part of the fun. So far I've made two stitch and glue kayaks and am currently working on a 15 foot overnight sloop. I work in a drafty single garage, so cramped I use the stern of the boat as a work bench when working on the bow, and the bow when working on the stern. My humble advise: The bigger the space the better, warm and dry doesn't hurt, either. Good luck!

Meerkat
03-02-2002, 04:09 AM
Barb;

Nope, I'm not Eric Meyer, but thanks for the compliment - his book did inspire my choice of nicknames though smile.gif

Meerkat
03-02-2002, 04:20 AM
Hey EdenRose;

I envey you your unheated barn - puts you that much ahead of the game! If you have any extra space let me know! smile.gif

What is your opinion of Fisher's plans? BTW, i'm building something called a Medway Doble 15 which you can find on his dayboat double enders page.

I've done a glued lapstrake from a kit, and I think I can give you a few tips about _that_ LOL! For starters if you don't have metering pumps, get them! Secondly a plastic paint pan to spread out the epoxy so it doesn't go off too fast (this is more important for unthickened epoxy you're using for coating/pre-treating things). Third syringes and/or zip lock bags with the tip cut out like a caulk gun is really important too. Gloves! Plastic packing tape to mask and back the seams makes for a much neater look (don't use regular masking tape unless you want to incorporate it into your boat!). Pre-epoxy the groves to fill them up so the wood doesn't suck epoxy out of your putty/caulk and leave it dry. LOTS of popsicle type sticks to smooth the fillet! Remove as many "blobs" as you can while still wet!!

TomRobb
03-02-2002, 09:51 AM
Meerkat,
If you live in the city (Seattle) I'd guess that you can't even find a place to park, let alone build. If you have the room, a garage can make a nice shop with a few "improvements." If there's a SWMBO and she's a saint, your livingroom may work :D

Art Read
03-02-2002, 12:32 PM
My storage unit/boatshop has actually worked out pretty well. Kindy pricey, but "cheaper" than putting up with all the noise complaints I was getting from an obnoxious new neighbor, and SWMBO was glad to get rid of all the mess too. Also nice to be able work any time of the day or night and make as big a mess as I want to... It isn't heated, but there have only been a few days so far this winter it wasn't warm enough to do any epoxy or finishing work I needed to. The upstairs units ARE heated, and I suspect they "insulate" me from the worst of the cold snaps. Actually, I kinda like the idea of the boat, and all my lumber, sitting there "aclimatizing" to our local conditions. I haven't had any noticable drying out or opening joint problems so far. The only moisture problem I had was when they pressure washed(!) the facade and doors of all the units. It got in around the "gaps" and wetted down everything for about two or three feet inside the door. That part of my shop is pretty much my "work" area so it didn't soak much etcept sawdust, my "moaning" chair and some scrap lumber. Still, I gotta wonder what they were thinking! Glad I wasn't storing antiques or medical records in there! (My "neighbors" do...) I did have to "jury rig" extra lighting and my power supply from a single light fixture hanging down from the ceiling, and I have to haul in my own water if I need to do any steam bending, but it works for me...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p8ac16b981afd7ce57786a70fe6e2f7d5/fdef50bc.jpg

Binnacle
03-02-2002, 02:37 PM
I covered my 23' Friendship sloop with cowcorn plastic, but it's real dark inside??
For next season I'd like to try something a bit brighter , like white or tranlucent plastic.
Need some sources for the HEAVYEST mil thickness of plastic for a framed cover. I'm from the Mystic CT area , and all I can find is the light stuff.
Any idea's ???
Binnacle

Meerkat
03-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Binnacle:
Need some sources for the HEAVYEST mil thickness of plastic for a framed cover. I'm from the Mystic CT area , and all I can find is the light stuff.
Any idea's ???
BinnacleGreenhouse supply companies. Painting supply companies. Construction supply companies - they drape entire multi-story apt. buildings out here so they can work on them during our rainy winters.

PugetSound
03-03-2002, 11:02 PM
Uh Binnacle, just how heavy were you thinking of? BainbridgeIsland did a thread a few months ago about the fact that the different colors of the polytarps (available at hardware stores) are a key to identifying the thickness of the plastic (the blue tarps are the thinnest)....

If you are really really really serious about wanting thick heavy duty plastic tarp, then you should do some searching in the ship repair community for some of that plastic "shrink wrap" that is used to wrap the scaffolding around a ship's superstructure for when they want to paint in the middle of winter. The US Navy doesn't wait for warm weather to get the painting done, it gets it done regardless.

Dennis Boonstra
03-03-2002, 11:05 PM
If you are interested in poly tarps, and are local (Puget Sound). Contact me off-line, I know a wholesaler in Auburn, can't promise anthing!

Jamie Hascall
03-04-2002, 12:46 AM
Welcome to the Northwest nuthouse. I haven't been online for a few days as it's been so sunny here I couldn't stand to be at a keyboard. I've been sailing twice in two days :D !! My friend Les and I have just started a pair of Nutshell prams in his rented garage in Ballard. Look for garages in all the papers and call quickly because you can sometimes get some pretty decent deals. Where are you located in the Seattle area? It's sounding like we may need to schedule a meeting of the PSEBS to compare notes on building techniques etc. (Do a search on PSEBS for details.)

Good luck,
Jamie

Meerkat
03-04-2002, 02:31 AM
I looked around for info on the WB forum and on Yahoo for "PSEBS" and found nadda. Sounds like it might be interesting though

Jamie Hascall
03-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Meerkat,

Sorry to be obtuse about this. PSEBS, aka the Puget Sound Elbow Bending Symposium is an event held in this region on an as needed and totally random schedule. If you plug PSEBS into the search thingy that you'll find in the list in the upper right corner of your screen, you'll get five threads that refer to the event. To start with you can check this one out. http://media5.hypernet.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001509

Jamie

EdenRose
03-04-2002, 03:02 PM
I think the Fisher Plans are terrific. He is available on email and his Yahoo Group site for questions every day. I have never gone more than 24 hours without getting a response from him.
Thank you for your tips on glue lap.
What boat did you build?
I am building the Fisher Swampscott 16 now.

Ed Nye
03-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Costco has a 10 by 20 ft four sided shelter for $169 plus. I got one last month. A Buddy said they still had them a week ago. Good piece of equipment, not one tool needed to assemble. Everything included except tiedowns. 7 ft tall at the sides, almost 10 at the center (round top).
Ed

KimApel
03-04-2002, 08:00 PM
Re: where to work in Seattle?, I once saw a website by a guy from Seattle, telling the very funny story of how he built a Bolger Light Schooner in his 3rd floor apartment, and removed it through the living room window -- or rather through the opening after the window was removed. I wouldn't have believed it had he not posted photos of the removal operation.

Nicholas Carey
03-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Binnacle:
I covered my 23' Friendship sloop with cowcorn plastic, but it's real dark inside??

For next season I'd like to try something a bit brighter , like white or tranlucent plastic.

Need some sources for the HEAVYEST mil thickness of plastic for a framed cover. I'm from the Mystic CT area , and all I can find is the light stuff.Check out greenhouse supply companies -- at garden shows, I've seen sample of what amounts to be corrugated cardboard -- made out of translucent plastic and intended for use as greenhouse cladding.

The stuff I saw comes in 8x20 foot sheets and 8x200 foot rolls. It was warranted for 5 years and had an R-5 (or so) insulation value.

The construction makes it so that it doesn't rattle in the wind.

As I remember, it didn't cost much more than, say 3/8" CDX plywood.

Paul Jeffrey
03-05-2002, 12:06 PM
Hey looks like I am the most western of all you Washington builders :D I used to come in here as Paul J but the new board won't accept that anymore so a new name smile.gif

As to covers for boat sheds I like the clear on the top of the shelter for great light, unless you are doing epoxy work you are going to leave for long periods of time exposed. If you are, then go with a solid color like black or white/black [black side out for thermal heating and white side in for reflecting light] to block the UV. Then use a white on the sides it will still give you lots of light and give you some privacy for leaving tools in the shelter.

We do have some UV issues here in the northwest due to our long summer days, and of course our wonderful liquid sunshine. :D

For roll material contact a company in San Deigo called Americover and ask for Lee Hinsley 800-747-6095. They have the white/white and the black/white materials in different weights. Plus other stuff for coverings, Lee is a good guy to talk to about that stuff.

Meerkat
03-07-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by KimApel:
Re: where to work in Seattle?, I once saw a website by a guy from Seattle, telling the very funny story of how he built a Bolger Light Schooner in his 3rd floor apartment, and removed it through the living room window -- or rather through the opening after the window was removed. I wouldn't have believed it had he not posted photos of the removal operation.Yeah, I've seen that - and now the loon has gone and BURNED it Viking style at Golden Gardens!

Meerkat
03-07-2002, 03:37 AM
Jamie;

PSEBS sounds interesting, although i'm not much of an imbiber (just think of me as the permanent designated driver smile.gif )

Still wasn't able to find much more on PSEBS other the the URL you posted. I must have goosed the WB forum search incorrectly.

Feel free to drop me an email if/when you all call another meeting :cool:

Jamie Hascall
03-07-2002, 10:26 AM
Meerkat,

It's looking like your postings and the passing of Darryl Jones are being a great excuse for getting together. You may want to check my posting in the People and Places category. Date and place are still totally unknown but I imagine it to be sometime before the end of the month. The elbow bending is purely symbolic and doesn't require participation. ;)

Jamie

Jeff Evans
03-07-2002, 11:50 AM
Hey Meercat, I'm building a 16' 3" boat in the basement of the apartment I'm renting. I build a full size carboard mockup from taped-together paper towel boxes and sailed her around and out the door to make sure she'd fit. She was christened the SS Brawny before setting anchor in the recycling bin outside.

DragonFly
03-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Thought I would add to the long lists of options for where to build.

I built a temporary cover out of PVC pipes and 6mil plastic for about 200 smacks, not bad considering it's 36 feet long by about 16 feet wide. It's partially attached to a building and eventually I'll have to put in some doors for ventilation during summer.

http://www.crablouie.com/dragonfly/gallery/covering/101-0105_IMG.JPG
This is a picture of the railing where the pipes are attached.

http://www.crablouie.com/dragonfly/gallery/covering/103-0351_IMG.JPG
Here all the pipes are in place and ready for the plastic.

http://www.crablouie.com/dragonfly/gallery/covering/105-0573_IMG.JPG
This is the finished product.

To see more pictures go to http://www.crablouie.com/dragonfly/gallery/covering/covering.index.html

DragonFly

SBH
08-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Ok, I know I'm about six months late on this topic, but I loved this shed that we used for Venture last year.

http://www.3rdwave.net/wbfpics/jamiebents.jpg
We borrowed the bents from the Knoblocks, who own another YOD. Here's Jamie Hascall standing beside the bents and the boat.

http://www.3rdwave.net/wbfpics/exterior.jpg
This is what it looked like after we shrink wrapped it.

http://www.3rdwave.net/wbfpics/interior.jpg
It was like a little chapel inside. And it did us well in 3 seasons (snow, wind, sun).

sbh