X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huisjen
    innocent widdle bunny
    • Jun 2001

Boycot Christmas

Remember that today is International Buy Nothing Day.

Dan
    Master of The Ensign's Gig: a 7 1/2 foot flat bottom plywood skiff,
    and Prudence: Lightning #7896.

Think Good Thoughts.
    Thoughts become words.
    Words become actions.
    Actions become habits.
    Habits become character.
    Character becomes destiny.
  • NormMessinger
    • Feb 2000

Oh, man! If we only could. Time a feller is my age he has everything he needs. If he doesn't he goes and gets it. If someone else gets it it is the wrong brand, wrong size, wrong shape... Old coots are hard to please. A Phyllis made cherry pie will be quite enough, thank you. That's why they say it is more blessid to give than receive. Do unto others before they do undo you.

Comment

• TGP
      • Nov 2004

Ah hates Christmas!

Comment

• George.
        • Aug 2004

I bought some Sikaflex today, but it is NOT for Christmas!

I agree... boycott Christmas shopping. Down with commercial brainwashing and useless gifts!

Comment

• Mike Field
          • Sep 2000

Originally posted by NormMessinger:
          If someone else gets it it is the wrong brand, wrong size, wrong shape... Old coots are hard to please.
          Shake, pardner.

(Also, ask Phyllis if she can spare a slice of that cherry pie, will you?)

Comment

• Mrleft8
            Banned
            • Feb 2000

IMHO.... "'Tis the season to be cranky"

Comment

• N. Scheuer
              • Aug 2001

All this chatter in the news media about retail sales is depressing in the extreem.

My youngest Daughter started something when she was away in college and didn't have any money. She makes something in the kitchen (Dad's kitchen while home on vacation) for up to twenty friends and relatives; a cookie mix in a jar, etc. I keeps her totally absorbed for a couple of days (starting with shopping for the jars and ribbons) and keeps her in a joyous frame of mind.

Recipeants are pleased with her effort. It's so much nicer tha something from THE GAP.

Moby Nick
              mobynick

Comment

• Wild Dingo
                Humata, Hukhta, Huvarshta
                • Jun 2001

I gave up buyin chrissy pressies on principle... priciple of eveythins gettin to flamin dear and with this mob of galahs and associated partners its gettin too flamin expensive!

So now I makes me own chrissy pressies

mantle clocks for sister and inlaws, incense and keyholder for other sister, saddle rack for brother, spice rack for Yaz, thought dodad for the bedside for Lissa, bookshelf for Tiff, toolboxs for Aaron and Joshy, display case for Bethany, Jacinta and Brie possumpoop is making pressies for

In every pressy possumpoop adds her own little flourish so we both have a hand in its creation.

Beauty with this is that as the hoons see us makin things they get into it as well... Joshy has goes at makin his pressies with some REALLY interesting results Brie has made all her pressies already Jacinta is halfway through hers as for the rest damned if I know where theyre at... but Chrissy always comes together and everyone gets their fair share of the goodies and the joy is a whole mess better cause they all know that what they are holding have 3 things that the other bought pressies can never have...

1) made with THEM in mind... so specifically theirs
                2) they are one of a kind
                3) made with our own hands and with finished with love

nothin bedda
                .................................................. ...................
                Nil illegitimi carborundum = Never let the bastards wear you down

Comment

• NormMessinger
                  • Feb 2000

Seems someone squirted glue in the locks of 200 businesses somewhere down in Louisiana according to the newspaper this morning. Delayed opening for Xmas shoppers several hours. Serious vandalism but I sorta hope they don't get caught. Maybe it could start a trend.

Comment

• uncas
                    Ancient Mariner
                    • Sep 2004

I would not boycot the concept of Christmas...I would boycot the commercialization of it..
                    For weeks I have been thinking that it has been great that we have not been swamped with Christmas carols etc. Well, my balloon was burst on Thursday afternoon.

[ 11-27-2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Comment

• brad9798
                      • May 2000

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

No doubt about it ...

All I have to do is talk about with my kids, see the glee and positive emotion radiating from their very beings ...

It's that lost feeling of 'how Christmas used to be' everytime I look in their eyes- What Christmas is REALLY about: Love, caring, sharing, warmth, and family.

What more can ANYONE ask for than (love, caring, sharing, etc.) that?

It's a cold-hearted and/or lonely person that feels that REAL Christmas is a point of anger or sadness.

Look into a child's eyes around Christmas ... if you still hate it, seek help.

Brad
                      Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Comment

• TGP
                        • Nov 2004

I'm only joking Brad. I, like others, hate the commercialization of Christmas. It would be nice to get back to the true meaning of the holiday which is the birth of Christ.

The merchants use this time of year to fill their pockets and for so many children, that is what it is all about. What they will get. What new toy, etc.

I'm not against gift giving by any means but I think it has been taken to extremes.

Comment

• chris jorgensen
                          • May 2004

In the U.S. is christmas being referred to as 'the holidays' or 'winter solstice'?Canada ,particularly B.C., is becoming so sensitive to the feelings of new immigrants that we're castrating any elements of our culture that aren't 100% inclusive.

Some nonchristian ethnic groups are embarrassed by this and tell us not to worry about offending them.Other religious groups(Sihks in particular) won't be happy until their own celebrations are being recognized by everyone else.

I'm not perticularly religious or big on Christmas but I do find this denial of Canada's western heritage a bit disturbing.While it's true that many native and noneuropean cultures were repressed in the past we seem to be tripping over our feet accepting every new immigrant groups customs as being inherently "Canadian".

Comment

• George.
                            • Aug 2004

Christmas gifts should be given only to the 15-and-under crowd. Kids love it. For adults, it is a pain - a pain to buy for everyone you know, and a pain to get all that stuff you don't need or like, stuff that someone bought out of obligation, and that you have to smile hypocritically and say "I love it!" when you receive.

Also, abolish commercial mass-produced Christmas cards - hand-write the ones you mean and forget the rest.

Make it a three-day holiday, so people can actually go "home" for it.

And abolish "happy holidays" generic messages.

I bet it would be a much better loved holiday this way.

Comment

• uncas
                              Ancient Mariner
                              • Sep 2004

George!
                              I have taken over the tradition of doing my own C cards since my parent's deaths...they did it for 50 years...A Christmas poem and a pen and ink drawing...Have done this for ten years...
                              Actually one of my poems ended up in a book on the chesapeake.
                              Needless to say, before the advent of modern tech...printing my cards was almost as expensive as buying them.
                              Will be posting this year's card soon.

[ 11-27-2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Comment

Working...