PDA

View Full Version : Portland Maine Invaded

Chris Coose
03-20-2003, 02:40 PM
Reports indicate that access roads are inundated by all sorts of craft coming in from all directions.

Informed sources have witnessed exibitors Hugh and Thad have set up encampment preparing for certain onslaught.

Preliminary plans predict an assembly of southern forumites at the Galapagos Post Office (Hugh's Can)at 11AM Friday, where all hell is likely to break loose.

More reports and visuals sure to come.

On Vacation
03-20-2003, 02:54 PM
I offered to buy the first round, but you didn't get back to me. :(

Rocky
03-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Jeezus, Chris, what have you peple done to that lovely old city? Starbucked it to DEATH!

Memphis Mike
03-20-2003, 05:23 PM
You all have fun Chris! Hopefully I'll get to see
ya this summer.

Chris Coose
03-20-2003, 05:34 PM
I offered to buy the first round, but you didn't get back to me.
Oyster, I must have missed something.

Starbucked??
With about 15 expensive coffee houses in a five block area, DD opened a new shop downtown yesterday. They were testing the bay a few years ago to check how the treatment plant was doing. They found an inordinate amount of caffene in the bay.

imported_Steven Bauer
03-20-2003, 07:30 PM
It's true that Portland does have two Starbucks stores but - only People From Away go to them And when they first came to town their big plate glass windows were mysteriously smashed every weekend for the first few months.
Steven

Rocky
03-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I used to hang in Portland every August til about 84, thought it was the finest city in the world, especially the waterfront where the freight trains ran down the middle of Commercial Street. Then went back in August of '00 and the artsy-fartsy little tourist shops made me want to puke. Sorry to be a snob about it, but if you've seen 21,467 cutesy little boutiques you've seen em all. Wouldn't even know you were in Maine if the sign didn't say so. I swear, the whole country is starting to look like New Jersey, and everyone but me thinks that's just wucking funderful! That's one reason I got the boat, things look better from the water.

[ 03-20-2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Rocky ]

stan v
03-20-2003, 07:55 PM
My suggestion in the event of an actual invasion? Give the invaders a week before we (that would be the few who would care) go in, we'll probably find the "new occupants" more likeable. Invaders, you can keep the prisoners.

gunnar I am
03-20-2003, 09:08 PM
Yeah, but have you got a "Condom Sense" in New Jersey?

Rocky
03-20-2003, 09:31 PM
What's that, sex stuff? Sure, and it's just as useful here as it is there. I guess this is just a lament fo my lost youth, but Portland had a charming authenticity that has been completely destroyed by its frantic efforts to look like San Diego.

Chris Coose
03-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Rocky,
You wouldn't have known that just a week or two ago.
There is nothing quaint about -10 F.
Winter tends to keep things authentic, local and fresh. Just because the trains left commercial St., don't mean where are gentrified.
There is Angie's and the Oyster House still on Commercial St.
And we are host to the finest boat show in the world.

gunnar I am
03-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Rocky, I couldn't agree more. The situation in Maine is depressing. I frequently say they are the poster state for bad zoning and planning. The remarkable thing is it draws people!! Look at Boothbay Harbor. I remember when all they had for tourists was "The Smiling Cow" and the hardware store had a section for souvenirs. Remeber cans of Maine Air? We used to stay at Five Islands in the 60's. Pierces Marine from Boothbay had their place there and three cottages one of which we rented. Endless hours spent drop line fishing, scouring the beach, opening mussels for pearls. Five Islands was dry and the store was still there , where now a big tourist lobster pound is run. It's still pretty nice ther, though.

Rocky
03-20-2003, 09:59 PM
You're right, Gunnar, forgive my rant. You just have to go a little farther to get away from the tourist ****, that's all.

johnwill
03-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Gunnar, totaly agree with you about Five Islands. Spent three weeks there in 2000 in the same cottages. Drove all the way from Texas and it was worth every mile. Have you seen the Acura commercial where the car drives out on the lobster pier there? Boothbay? Why bother?

Chris Coose
03-21-2003, 12:59 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid56/paf0cb0af27408e7f9885d67b4e66342d/fc787361.jpg

from left to right
Hugh, lurker, Steven, Andy, SWMBO of Ian, Ian, Ed, Chris, lurker