PDA

View Full Version : Need side grinder help

cs
07-28-2004, 06:35 AM
Okay I have the DeWalt heavy duty side grinder. It is only about a year and half old and is like the one I show here:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/dewalt/dw402.jpg

Well the other day I was cutting an old swing set up and the cut off blade broke and jammed the nut on real tight. Trying to take it off I bent the little stamped wrench they supply, so I started using a pipe wrench to turn the nut while the wife held the detent button. Well now not only is the nut jammed on, the detent button that locks the wheel from turning is broken.

Recomendations please.

Chad

Gresham CA
07-28-2004, 06:38 AM
Get a bigger hammer. Take it to the shop.

Del Lansing
07-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Can you use a punch or other small pointy hard thing to chip out the remainder of the cut-off wheel? I assume this is an abrasive composite wheel. That may free up the nut. What's with the detent button? is it jammed "in"?

cs
07-28-2004, 07:00 AM
I've tried chipping out the remaing portions of the cut off wheel and no go.

If you look at the photo you will notice a little silver pin on back of the side grinder's head. This pin locks the wheel in place so you can turn the nut.

Called the shop and he said he could fix it for $25. Guess I will have to take it down to him and get it fixed.

Chad

imported_Dutch
07-28-2004, 08:24 AM
You broke the best made side grinder available. It's the only one with that type of on/off switch that I know of. I've had one for many years. I would recomend a metal cutting blade on an old beater circular saw in the future-get the $ 4 blades at home depot - much quicker than a side grinder.

Mrleft8
07-28-2004, 09:07 AM
You might be turning the nut the wrong way. Some of these things you gotta tighten to loosen.

cs
07-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Nope, I wasn't turning it the wrong way. Thought that, so I studied the thread pattern and I was turning it the right way.

Jeff, I may buy a beater later, but for now I was able to accomplish what I needed without the side grinder. So I reckon I'll get this one fixed.

Chad

Oyvind Snibsoer
07-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Look on the "inside" of the disc axle. The axle should have two flat faces to accomodate a thin wrench, perhaps 3 mm thick. You can probably get this wrench from a well stocked tool shop. If not, I made one myself by welding up some flat iron bar when my el-cheapo grinder's retention button failed. Anyways, once you have the axle locked with a wrench, you can use a machinist's punch drift or similar, and a hammer, to get the locknut off if the supplied tool proves inadequate.

NormMessinger
07-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Since you sheared the pin that keeps the shaft from turning you might try putting the wrench on the nut and whacking it with a wooden mallet. That'll put a heck of a shock on the system but the momentum of the dirve train may be enough to let the nut release.

Nicholas Carey
07-29-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
Since you sheared the pin that keeps the shaft from turning you might try putting the wrench on the nut and whacking it with a wooden mallet. That'll put a heck of a shock on the system but the momentum of the dirve train may be enough to let the nut release.So what you're saying is "Don't force it—use a bigger hammer?"

:D

cs
07-29-2004, 06:25 AM
Norm I broke the detent pin by putting a pipe wrench on the nut while the wife held the pin in and the side grinder was secured in a vise. Man is it on there. I hope to get a chance to run it down to the shop sometime this week.

Chad

huisjen
07-29-2004, 07:03 AM
I'm pretty sure DeWalt's warranty is longer than a year. Did the paperwork surface during the moving/packing process?

Katey, not Dan.

cs
07-29-2004, 07:04 AM
Katey, the warrenty is for a year and covers only manufacturs defects. It don't cover the nut getting jammed on and breaking the pin with a pipe wrench.

Chad