PDA

View Full Version : Repair of a repair

Michael
12-05-2002, 09:44 AM
Hoping to tap the epoxy experience of the group here:

I attempted a repair of a cracked wooden axe handle the other day and missed on the resin/hardener ratio (I know, get the minipumps). The stuff isn't kicking off. I know the right way to do it is remove the old and start over. But the crack runs diagonally upward for about 8 inches. To open the crack back up enough where I could remove the mis-mixed epoxy will do a lot more damage to the wood than already exists and would further threaten recreating a good joint. An alternative is to sink a couple screws embedded in expoxy horizontally to the grain through the handle and/or wrap with some epoxy soaked twine.

thanks for your opinions.

Shang
12-05-2002, 09:46 AM
Unless the handle is an interesting antique, don't repair it, replace it.
Safer that way.

ishmael
12-05-2002, 09:47 AM
Shang stole my thunder.

Shang
12-05-2002, 10:02 AM
"Shang stole my thunder." --ish

I have a profound respect for a man who bravely strides through doggy doo!
( Keep us up to date on your home-hunting.)

B. Darrah Thomas
12-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Rats,... I wanted to say "buy another handle".
smile.gif

Michael
12-05-2002, 10:19 AM
I've been looking but have yet to find one the same size.

Shang
12-05-2002, 10:35 AM
Speaking of axes and handles!
I picked up a broad-axe a couple of weeks ago. The axe head is in pretty good shape, only minor pitting. The handle is an "interesting antique," --it appears to be a fruit-wood branch that someone must have hacked off in the woods when the real handle broke.
However...I happen to have the correct handle in a corner of the shop; it's hickory, and is made with an off-set curve which permits reaching across the log that's being squared. I found it in a back-woods hardware store that caters to the Mennonite settlement nearby, and bought it assuming that someday I'd either find or make a broad-axe.
I'm planning to build another Japanese-style tea-house next year, and I hand-square some of the beams from walnut and cherry logs. Usually use a ship-builder's adz, but the broad-axe will come in handy.

By the way, if you're looking for these sort of tools, these guys sell them:
www.countryworkshops.org/ (http://www.countryworkshops.org/) axes2.html

http://www.countryworkshops.org/laxes2.jpg

NormMessinger
12-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Michael, if you are committed to repair, can you soak the wound in MEK or acetone? Do you have compressed air to blow the crack? You may be able to get most of the goop out. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

--Norm

Michael
12-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Thanks Norm, I'll try it. I really just wanted to repair it to say I did, more than anything else!

ishmael
12-05-2002, 12:31 PM
BTW, if you can't find a proper handle, get yourself a nice dry baulk of hickory and make one. Good hand tool exercise. So to speak.

Shang
12-05-2002, 03:57 PM
The Country Workshops tool handle site tells step-by-step how theirs are made.

http://www.countryworkshops.org/toolhandles.html

Chris Coose
12-05-2002, 04:22 PM
There are some things that you just don't repair.

If you to ask me to list some things that don't get repaired, axe handles would come before eye glasses frames.

Here we go guys/girls, what are some items that automatically get replaced?

DutchRub
12-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Now the eyeglasses I can see-unless ya want ta look like the quintessential nerd with taped glasses, but Ive repaired ax handles and brush ax handles with by wrapping the split area with a layer of knytex bi directional glass and epoxy. Once the repairs are set up, I fair the glass, paint it and its better than new. The repairs are stronger than the original handle and have held up very well. I have yet to rebust one of my repairs and I do a lot of brush clearing and ax work. When you figure that the scrap glass is free the epoxy about $2 its a cheap and effective fix. The quality of tool handles has dropped noticeable in the last few years and if you look at the grain of most of em its no wonder they break. Wonder if its an ax handle manufacturing conspiracy?

[ 12-05-2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: Dutchrub ]

On Vacation
12-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Is that in your firefighting days, Dutchrub? Hey I got your e-mail with the time to call, but you didn't include your number. :confused:

gunnar I am
12-05-2002, 05:33 PM
I know sometimes , I'll engage in a repair that makes no economic sense whatsoever. It just becomes a kind of challenge. These repairs provide a bit of humor in my life and serve to re-enforce the notion I'm a character. This is of course is not true,as everyone has cut apart their oil filters and replaced the filter medium and brazed it back together. :D

DutchRub
12-05-2002, 05:35 PM
Firefighting days? Time to call? Got no idea what ya re talking about oyster.Closest I ever got to fighting a fire was navy firefighting school.

On Vacation
12-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Me too, what year was that?