PDA

View Full Version : Best ticket you never got

cs
10-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Kinda of a play off what Joe started in his Saab thread, but instead of the best ticket you got, what about the one never gotten.

You can keep all the times you got pulled over drunk and got away with, that way you can keep your dignity intact.

I was 19 years old and living on my own in the state of Florida (Orlando to be precise). My Grandmother had paid me to move away from home and not come back for at least a year.

Well, I'm coming back from the club one night and driving my old '72 Dart with a mean 318 under the hood running headers and thrush mufflers (don't know if you can even call thrush a muffler). But anyway I'm coming down this road and see this hard right hand turn. Well being the good ol boy that I am and driving my mean and loud car, I decide to hit that curve with a little authority (posted 20 mph speed). I hit it at about 55 mph, car roaring like a monster from the deep, tires squelling as I come through the curve in a sideways motion.

Would you believe that there was a bunch of cops just around the corner? Well of course they pull me over. Out of state licenses, tags on the car were from a 65 Volkswagon (still back in TN) and bloodshot eyes from ill fitting contacts. The cops study my situation and I was as nice as could be and explained that the curve caught me by surprise and being from the mountains a curve like that was nothing to me.

I guess the cop decided that it wasn't worth the trouble of writing me a ticket and sent me on home.

Chad

Another One
10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Coming back onto base at Little Rock on a Saturday morning after hitting the gym. I was driving Oscar, my scuzzy green '68 VW, and had that warm energetic feeling from the workout. I clean forgot about that 35 mph limit between the guard booth and the dorms until they pulled me over. (They PACED me. I can't believe I didn't notice them.)

The first thing they did was ask for my military ID - - which I had left in my dorm room. By rights, this along should have earned me a trip down to the MP shack, since they were supposed to detain me until my first shirt came in to formally identify me. Then there was that 20 miles over the speed limit thing . . .

When they told me how fast I was going, I put on my best surprised and innocent look and said "In this car?" The guy looked gruff a moment, and told me I needed to get my speedo fixed. Have a nice day.

Paul Pless
10-12-2005, 02:18 PM
I got a ticket for speeding and reckless driving when I was 16. Got to ride to jail and had to have my crying mom come get me. I live in a podunk little town so it made the newspaper too.

Anyway, a couple of days before court I am on my way home late at night and come up on a single car wrecked in aditch. I give the driver, a drunk guy, a ride home and his son and wife, go back to get his car.

So, I go to court, an lo and behold, that drunk guy is my judge. He tells the state trooper, "Officer, you can go stand over there; Mr. Plessner and I are going to talk about baseball for a few minutes." and we did,a nd then he said to me, "Paul, you be careful leaving here, as that trooper is mad as hell right now"

[ 10-12-2005, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

cedar savage
10-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, there was the time I blew past the school bus with the flashers on and the cop's kid was in the bus, but that was a hard ticket.

Then there was the time I blew through a yellow-turned-red-with-the-car-underneath-the-light at about 20 over the limit with Bob Seger's "Nutbush City Limits" on the radio. The cop was right there and pulled me over quick like and the part about "watch out for the police" was just blasting through the open windows and the cop started laughing and told me to be a lot more careful because if I pulled that stunt again he'd for sure give me a ticket.

There’s a church house, gin house,
School house, outhouse.
On u.s. 19,
Hey, the people keep the city clean.
They call it nutbush, nutbush,

Nutbush city, nutbush city limits.
25 is the speed limit,
Motorcycles not allowed in it.

Go to town on saturday,
Go to church on sunday.
Up in ... up in ... nutbush city, nutbush city limits.

Say it again...
Work the fields on weekdays,
Have a picnic every labor day.

Go to town on a friday,
Be in church on a sunday.
Up in ... up in ... nutbush city, nutbush city limits.

Little old town,
Down in tennessee.
A real quiet community,

A real quiet southern community.
Not much happens in nutbush;
You can hear the corn grow.

Got to watch out for the police,
Drivin’ through nutbush.
Got to watch out for the police,

If you’re drivin’ through nutbush.
Watch out for the police,
Watch out for the police.

Keep an eye out for the police,
Keep an eye out for the police.
An eye out for the police.

Nutbush city limits,
Nutbush city limits,
Nutbush city limits.

ishmael
10-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Best ticket I didn't get. Mmm.

Driving Route Two toward Greenfield from the East, in north central MA. I was going fifty in a thirty five, a rare thing because I'm a gentle driver. Statey pulled me over. We were discussing the lack of good signs on the road, and why I didn't immediatly pull over(he flashed on a curve with no shoulder, but was insistent that my estimation was worthless, and when his lights went on I should have pulled over right now, no matter where) when he got an emergency call on his radio. Gotta go! Let this be a warning to ya! Knock wood!

Nicholas Carey
10-12-2005, 02:41 PM
I came off a mountain in Southeast Kentucky once at about 95 MPH. Long straight downhill run for about 5 miles. Rocketed right past the [known] speed trap at the bottom, still doing about 95.

Police car sitting right there in the median, behind the bridge pier, running radar.

Me in bright red sports car. Panic. Get off gas. Hit the handbrake fairly hard -- we don't want no brakelights showing guilt. Thought I was busted for sure (and at that speed, it would be a mandatory reckless op citation and jail.)

Must speed responsibly or something (maybe the cop was sound asleep in the front seat.)

No ticket. No warning. The cop never moved.

Joe (SoCal)
10-12-2005, 03:18 PM
I ALWAYS get the ticket :( I have NEVER talked my way out of a ticket. I can practically sell anything to anyone except I cant sell myself out of a ticket.

Warning ??? Warning ?? Oh yea thats what the cop says after they hand you the ticket.

Dale R. Hamilton
10-12-2005, 03:29 PM
It was sometime in the 1960's, Nashville, Tennessee. I was just a kid who could manage to pass as an adult in the local bar scene. So I did. One night I left a downtown bar with a snootful- couldn't remember where I'd parked the car- so I walked- er, stumbled around looking at 3:00 in the morning. Well Nashville's finest soon policed me up, hauled me off to the drunk tank- collected my belt and shoelaces and chucked me into a cell with maybe 50 other drunks. A gutter ran down the center of the cell- flushed with water every few minutes. It was needed. I was instantly sober. Next morning they gave me my belt and shoelaces, and turned me out the door- I don't think they even took my name- certainly no charges. Long time ago, never again.

cs
10-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I almost forgot about the time I was riding a buddy's V45 Sabre, of course that don't really count. I ended up with a $100 ticket, but not for speeding but rather not wearing my glasses.

What happened is that I borrowed a friends bike and shot through town at somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 mph. It was late at night or early morning (can't remember which) and the bike was screaming through the headers.

Cop pulled me over and only gave me a ticket for not wearing my glasses and not for reckless driving or speeding.

The way I figured it is that he was asleep and the headers on the bike woke him up and he never clocked me on radar.

Chad

Gary E
10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
One mine but this 's my buddies first..

It was a nice summer day in 1958 when he decided to "Join the Club"... to do that you had to make it from home to the lake or lake to home in 30 mins or less...but this was long before limited access roads or expressways and the 40 or so miles was run on 2 lane roads, one being the Three C highway, that went through every small town in Ohio.

So Jim sez... lets go... Ok, do you guys remember the 57 Chev speedometer?... at 8:00 it was zero... at 4:00 it was 120... That car had some work done to it and the needle was pointing at 6:00 for most of the way... then we passed a side road where there was a '58 Black Ford... ummm...Ohio State Highway Patrol?... ahh..he didnt have a hat on ..screw it...keep on going...up to the 3C road and blast through that stop sign... needle still sittin on 6:00... in and out of the right side of the road, passing everything in sight... and then the little town of Morrow, had to slow down... that's when that '58 Ford cought up with us... He gave Jim a real talking to and kept us on the side of the road telling us to drive slower cuz he couldnt catch us... Funny.. anyway, no ticket and then Jim asked... is there still time left to make it?? Nope...not this day...LOL

Me from Ohio living in a motel in Pennsy while the job transfer and house buy is in process, driving a company car with Jersey Tags and I have no regestration or any paper work for it... I get stopped on the PA Turnpike for going real fast... anyway, there's the map spread out all over the front seat and I tell my story... the cop just shook his head and said... slow down...wheeew !!

John B
10-12-2005, 04:07 PM
I came over a brow into a radar trap ton up in my 240z ( back 20 years ago)but outbraked their threshold. They ran their roof lights at me but didn't come after me, as I doddled past.

Another One
10-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Okay, one more . . .

Blowing up I-43 north of Milwaukee. I'm coming into Port Washington and pass this cop sitting right there under the bridge. Look at the speedometer - nope, not good. I look at him, and he's looking right at me. I'm clearly and hopelessly bagged, so I just sigh and pull over right there before he even gets around to turning on his lights.

He tells me that Madison has just changed the fines on speeding tickets. If I had been going faster than 85, he would have been required by law to give me a ticket. Now those tickets, he says, will cost you a lot. Personally, he thinks the fine is much too high, so it's a good thing he only clocked me at 83. That means he has the option of giving me a warning instead; but if anyone else catches me even doing 83, I'll probably get a ticket, and I can count on one over 85, so I should slow down and not let either of those things happen.

The whole time, we both know darn well that I was doing at least 90 . . . .

Now, friends, there was only one of two things that Obie could've done at the Police Officer Station, and the first was that he could've given us a medal for bein' so brave and honest . . .

[ 10-12-2005, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Another One ]

James River Rat
10-12-2005, 05:21 PM
College. North bound I81 outside of Roanoke VA about 9 of us on bikes. About 9 pm.

I am leading running 70 or so.

two friends blow by me at about 100+....just as we came up on the unmarked car. Hard braking keeps us behind the police car.

Cop points us over...we stop way back and everyone is off their bikes.

Lots of yelling about "murdercycles" and scraping us off the curb, arresting us, etc.....when one of the guys pipes up...

"who you gonna charge and with what?"

What my buddy realized is that not all of us were speeding and all the cop saw was headlights. He had no idea who to charge and knew damn well none of it would stick.

He was so PO'd...Checked all of our licenses and registrations (missed the one guy with the suspended license) and told is to never let him catch us again. Now I think back on the excesses of youth and am relieved I survived...

Ric

John B
10-12-2005, 05:41 PM
last one I had was in 1985. 40mph in a 30 decellerating off a motorway off ramp.

skuthorp
10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Coming back from a skiing trip with a mechanical engineer friend in his hand-built special. Tube steel chassis and roll cage, blown lotus engine, GT6 diff and a 6 speed box. All under a Triumph Herald shell, it'd top 140 mph.
Shot past the patrol car before they could get a look at us. Outpaced him through a series of curves, slowed down to 50, off with the helmets and driving lights, he flew past us in full cry without even looking. U turn and detour up some side roads. Don't think he even considered an old triumph as his mark. :cool:

Paul Pless
10-12-2005, 06:58 PM
There also was the one in my new Corvette a month or so ago. The officer says to me, "Boy, we've been hearing 'bout you for three counties." :eek: :eek: :eek:

Fortunately I had toned it down by about 100 mph just on the other side of the hill from that particular speed trap. :D :D :D

Memphis Mike
10-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Years ago when I first came to Memphis, I was out riding around and sipping on a few cold ones. I wasn't drunk but I guess I smelled. :D

Apparently I made an illegal left hand turn and the blue lights came on in the rearview. :eek:

I pulled over for the guy and like I said, I guess I smelled so he orderd me out of the car.

When I opened the door to get out, three empty tall cans of Bud rolled out onto the street at his feet. :rolleyes:

He immediately put me in the back of the patrol car and said I was going downtown.

Man, I went into high whine. I laid it on thicker and heavier as I went.

I told him that if he let me go, I'd go straight home and he could follow me if he wanted.

He finally agreed and followed me right to my driveway. :D No ticket, no nothin.

[ 10-12-2005, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Figment
10-12-2005, 07:35 PM
Oh, it's so hard to pick just one!!

Highschool. Borrowed mom's brandynew pontiac bonneville on the promise to have it home by midnight with a full tank of gas.
Girlfriend lives an hour away. We fall asleep watching a movie and I wake up at 11:20. Gas tank is near empty.
Top speed on that run was 135mph.

At the end of the offramp, a car is behind me with highbeam lights on. I don't give it a second thought, just flip the mirror over and take off when the light goes green. The car follows me, and wig-wags start flashing ten seconds later. I look at the speedo:55 I look up at the speed limit sign:35. DAMN! ah, well 20mph over isn't so bad.

Turns out he's a state trooper who's been trying to catch up to me for about 15 miles. The one good fix he got on me was 108mph. He's displeased.
It's a brand new car. I can't find the registration or insurance. I'm so screwed.

The good part: The trooper then recognized me from a recent photo in the sports pages. His little cousin was a freshman on my hockey team. I was instructed to hurry up and get home before my mom got upset, and to watch over his cousin.
I pulled the car into the garage at 11:58.

George Jung
10-12-2005, 07:39 PM
Best ticket I missed out on? My favorite - while bringing my '67 Camaro SS home (for the last time - tuition and food came first) from Omaha, I was pushing the limit a bit - but it was only 55 (this during the 'gas shortage 70's) and that car liked to go at least 65. Not a big jump, but enough to get you stopped. I had a Maverick using me as his 'rabbit', and we both were watching out for police. From Fremont to Norfolk is perhaps 50 miles, give or take, passing through small towns and driving a road that winds and passes through lots of hills. Ten miles to Norfolk, I see a cloud of dust coming from a dirt sideroad, over a hill, and here comes a police car with lights blazing; he was hollering over his PA system, but couldn't tell what he'd said; I kept going, waiting for him to come along and stop me, but nothing happened (might have had something to do with all the oncoming traffic, keeping him on the sideroad... :D )
So we continue on, until just before Norfolk, two HP's pull out from behind this large, county gravel pile, and we've got us a road block! One motioned me over, the other had a nice little talk with the Maverick.
My HP directed me to turn my engine off, and come to his car. I told him that if I did, it wouldn't start again.... he gave me a look, but allowed me to find a 'flat' spot, and leave 'er sit. There followed a lot of 'yes sirs' and 'no sirs' (that was me) in answer to the usual questions, as well as 'how's your folks doing' (same HP I always seemed to 'meet'....
Then he informed me that they had been following us since Fremont, but hadn't been able to catch me on their radar.... but they did have an airplane that had followed me the whole way, and he had clocked me. And on the following Monday, they would be able to write a ticket based on that airplanes' clocking. I thanked Capt. Zimmer for the heads up, went on my way... and sold the Camaro :(
But let me tell ya about my little Datsun B210..... I never got a ticket with that, and I believe it's because no policeman believed his radar gun after seeing that car :D

Rick Tyler
10-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Driving up I-5 at midday -- right in the middle of LA County. I'm young and foolish and driving a 6-cylinder BMW Bavaria (you know, from before the Cool People discovered BMWs). A Porsche and another BWM blow by me like I'm standing still. I figure it's going to be fun to play, so I stand on the accelerator. I'm going 85 or 90 (still slower than the other two by a lot) and a Chippie blows past me. I quickly slow down and move over into the right lane -- getting ready to exit if I can. I pass the Porsche stopped on the side of the road with one Chippie at the window and the other behind it with his hand on his gun (where did the other one come from?) as I cruise past at a civilized 55. I never saw the other BMW. God was watching over me that day in more ways than one.

My favorite, though, was driving from Berkeley to Irvine in a University of California Dodge station wagon. I was cruising along at 75 or so during the dark days of the 55 limit. I casually look out the driver's side window and THERE IS A HIGHWAY PATROL OFFICER STARING AT ME FROM HIS CRUISER. After recovering from my heart attack, he slowly shakes his head "no" and moves his hand up and down, with the palm facing downward. I interpret this as a request to slow down, so I do. Five miles later I realize that the car I'm driving has official State plates and "For Official Use Only" on the doors. When the cruiser pulls around to go back north, I speed back up to 70 -- no sense pushing it even though I seem to have a "Get Out of Jail Free" car.

Rick Tyler
10-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by George Jung:
But let me tell ya about my little Datsun B210..... I never got a ticket with that, and I believe it's because no policeman believed his radar gun after seeing that car :D I can tell you from personal experience that both gray Honda Odysseys and white Ford Taurus SHOs are invisible to police officers.

RichKrough
10-12-2005, 08:09 PM
I was working in a race car shop in Chamblee Ga in the early 80's. My boss was racing in SCCA and had a pretty successful season. Just 2 days before the run-offs for overall class champions He blew the best motor he had during a practice at Road Atlanta. We went back to the shop and rebuilt it overnight but couldn't rent track time the next day to break it in. So I drove around and found this industrial park in Gwinnett County that was in early stages of development There was no buildings just a couple of miles of paved road. We had to do it at night so he asked me take my souped Ford Cortina so he could follow my lights. I drove the Cortina and he and the other two crew members followed with the racecar on the back of a flatbead. We unloaded and began making runs on the road. about the 4th time around we passed a Gwinett County Sheriff while doing about 80mph . The Deputy whipped his car around turned on the blue lights. My boss immediately pulled his racecar over and stopped but I kept going and went to tell the crew what happened.

The crew followed me with the flatbed to where the deputy had my boss stopped, I got out and the cop walked over and took my license. He walks around my car and said "well boy at least you got a G-ddamn tag and inspection sticker" With my license in one hand ,my bosses in the other, the deputy says "Mr Krough you live in Fulton County? and Mr ______ "you live in Dekalb County? Now tell me what the hell are you two doing in Gwinett County on my roads with these two pieces of Sh-t?! So while we are standing there getting reamed out by Buford T Justice.I am calculating in my mind how many years I will be chopping weeds along I-85 on a Gwinnett County chaingang. So after about 5 minutes of him reaming us out and my boss on his hands and knees begging him to let us go. The deputy points at me and says "You and those boys in that flatbed have 30 seconds to get that g-damn car back on that flatbed and make it disappear. The car was loaded and gone in 20 seconds.
I walked back to the deputy expecting to be arrested.Instead he handed us back our licenses and told us to never ever bring those two cars into his county again, He then wished us luck at the races and let us go.
I don't think that would happen these days.

Katherine
10-12-2005, 08:44 PM
I recently sold it, but back when I first bought it, I decided to take my Mustang GT convertible and see how fast I could make it go. A stretch of 131 by the parents place looked like a perfectly acceptable spot. I entered the freeway from the ramp already doing 80+. When the speedo hit 140 I decided it was time to back it off (and it was getting light in the nose). I had just started to slow down when I rounded a bend and there was the state trooper. I was still doing over 100, but he didn't even blink. :eek:

I got pulled over once with the winter car (Mustang was summer only)doing 85 in a 55 zone. Not ticket though, cop forgot his ticket book. :D

Peter Malcolm Jardine
10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
95 mile an hour in a 40 on my FLH, with a buddy on the back playing blues harmonica in the pouring rain, high.

Cop said: Man, our Harleys don't work that well... You deserve a break just for that. Gotta minor ticket.

My buddy continued to play harmonica leaning against the cop car while I was inside getting written up. ;)

Noah
10-12-2005, 09:25 PM
The best one was when I passed a cop going 140, and he couldn't catch me. I would have been toast if he had...

Best last two were the ones I got dismissed in court.

ishmael
10-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Another. I was in college and had a motorcycle without an endorsement on my license. I was out cruising the small town and happened on an aquaintence who insisted on riding the bike, though he didn't have a license either. He was a bit wild, and against my intuition, which was woo wooing in alarm, I let him ride it. He got a cop on his tail who followed him back to where I was standing by the side of the road. As we were getting to the point where the cop asks for licenses the town siren went off, signifying fire or some such emergency. The cop hurried off, and I rode, gently, back to my dorm. Talk about saved by the bell, um siren! :D

hoss
10-12-2005, 09:59 PM
I was rebuilding a Sunbeam Tiger (it was a former race car, no interior, very small glass packs welded on the headers etc.) It was also very, very, fast. Anyway one night I just got too tempted, and just had to take the car out for a spin. It had no plates, no insurance, and was not really street legal, so of course I "borrowed" the plates off my mothers car.
I let it out on a country road and was really flying (only a tach, no speedo, so I have no idea how fast, but way way over 100). After I had shut it down and was heading home I was pulled over. The cop looked at the car and I knew he kind of liked it. He checked my ownership, and made me promise to get the muffler checked, as it was a little loud. As I was leaving he said this car is a really funny looking Ford, you better go straight home. I did and I never did anything like that again.

RichKrough
10-12-2005, 10:21 PM
This one didn't get away but it is one of my favorite car/cop stories.
One of the customers at the shop in Atlanta where I worked had moved there recently from NY. His favorite past time was finding a deserted stretch of road where he could wind up his Ferrari Dino. One sunday morning he is easing down this almost deserted expressway at 90 mph when a Z28 Camaro pulls in behind him with a little blue flashing light stuck on the roof . In NY the only vehicles that use blue emergency lights are volunteer fireman. So this guy figured it was a VF wanting to play so he winds up the Ferrari till the Z28 is a speck in his rear view mirror. 15 miles later he crests a hill and there are police cars with BLUE lights blocking the road. He stops, the cops drag him out of the car and cuff him. 5 mins later the cop in the Camaro shows up. The other cops start teasing him about how the Ferrari left his z28 pursuit special in the dust. which wasn't helping the guy in the Ferrari one bit :D By the time the guy was done with bail, court dates, towing and fines he said he was down about $3500

[ 10-12-2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: RichKrough ]

cs
10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
I ALWAYS get the ticket :( I have NEVER talked my way out of a ticket. I can practically sell anything to anyone except I cant sell myself out of a ticket.

Warning ??? Warning ?? Oh yea thats what the cop says after they hand you the ticket.Joe, based on your post about your encounter with your hometown cop, I'm not suprised that you've never gotten out of a ticket.
;)

Chad

Memphis Mike
10-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Katherine:
I recently sold it, but back when I first bought it, I decided to take my Mustang GT convertible and see how fast I could make it go. A stretch of 131 by the parents place looked like a perfectly acceptable spot. I entered the freeway from the ramp already doing 80+. When the speedo hit 140 I decided it was time to back it off (and it was getting light in the nose). I had just started to slow down when I rounded a bend and there was the state trooper. I was still doing over 100, but he didn't even blink. :eek:

I got pulled over once with the winter car (Mustang was summer only)doing 85 in a 55 zone. Not ticket though, cop forgot his ticket book. :D Remind me not to ever ride with you. There's nothing more frightening than a lead footed female. :eek:

Well except maybe a lead footed female that's talkin on a cell phone. :eek: :eek:

[ 10-13-2005, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Another One
10-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Memphis Mike:
Remind me not to ever ride with you. There's nothing more frightening than a lead footed female. :eek:

Well except maybe a lead footed female that's talkin on a cell phone. :eek: :eek: Aw, Mike - - I get my WRX up to 115 or so on the backroads lots of times. It makes the kids squeal, and helps when I'm late for church. But I'm almost never on the phone . . .

Jami

[ 10-13-2005, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Another One ]

Rancocas
10-13-2005, 10:41 AM
It was 1968. I was home on leave from the Navy, in order to attend a friend's wedding. I had been an usher at the wedding, and had hit it off pretty well with one of the bride's maids.
I had been at her house in the country until about 2am. I departed on my Harley Davidson, Sportster model. I was riding down the country road, feeling good, just watching the stars, and enjoying the rumble of my engine. I forgot all about the stop sign at the crossroads.
I blew through the intersection at 70 miles per hour.
As I went through, I noticed the police car sitting off to one side, in the dark. The flashing red lights came on as he pulled out behind me.
I thought: "**** . But, I can outrun him". I opened up the throttle. I was going 110 down that country back road in the middle of the night. The flashing lights of the police car was far behind me. But, I knew he had a radio, and was probably calling for help. I needed to get off the road and hide out for a while.
I knew of a dirt road ahead. I hit the brakes hard, locked up my rear wheel, and left a dark skid mark on the pavement where I had slowed to make the turn. Onto the dirt I roared, throwing up a cloud of dust. A patch of woods to my left caught my attention. I would ride into the woods.
I hadn't noticed that a road grader had scraped the dirt road, leaving a two foot high ridge of sand along the sides of the road.
I hit that sand ridge, and went flying over the handlebars. I landed in a tangle of blackberry briars. Stunned, I lay there for a moment.
The police car, siren wailing and lights flashing, came squeeling around the corner on two wheels. It came to a stop beside my fallen motorcycle.
As the office stepped out of his car, I slowly rose up out of the briars. My shirt was torn, my face and arms badly scratched by the thorns.
The policeman roared with laughter!
After I had shown him my identification, and explained what I had been doing, the kind officer escorted me to his township line, warning me not to come back. But, he gave me NO TICKET!

In 1972 I became a police officer myself.