PDA

View Full Version : HEY Maureen! ---whatever happened to-----

norske
04-27-2001, 07:45 PM
Is she still looking for a project?---naw, I doubt it.She created the longest string
in Woodenboat Forum history---about a year ago.

[This message has been edited by norske (edited 04-28-2001).]

Mike Field
04-27-2001, 10:03 PM
Funny you should mention that, Norske. I was just thinking yesterday that the longest thread ever might have been Jack Dillon's from a few weeks back, on Hanoi Jane. It ran to 206 posts, and took up 6 pages.

The longest thread of Maureen's I could find dated from April last year, and started by asking about restoratipon of a Herreshoff sloop. It ran to 169 posts over 5 pages.

So in the absence of further information, I think Jack holds the record.

Maybe WB should offer a year's subscription or something to the initiator of the longest thread each year?

noquiklos
04-27-2001, 11:17 PM
The longest thread in the archives was 225 posts, started on Sept. 22, 2000, "A Response From Swift Oceanics," started by SelfSinkingFlatiron.
Two others, 213 by Ed Harrow, and 208 by my humble self also excede Mr. Dillon's total.
If I hadn't been having so much fun watching the Mariners pound the Palehose, I'd never have had the patience to do the research.
How 'bout those Mariners!?!
Roy

Mike Field
04-27-2001, 11:20 PM
Enlighten a benighted Aussie, Roy, by telling me who or what are Mariners and Palehose? (Apart from being people who sail or wear white socks, of course.)

noquiklos
04-27-2001, 11:30 PM
Sorry Mike. The Mariner's I speak of are the Seattle Mariners, the current possessors of the best record in Major League Baseball, and the Palehose are (you guessed correctly) the Chicago Whitesox.
God, I love baseball!
Roy

norske
04-28-2001, 07:26 AM
So whatever happened to Maureen?---she must still be reading the Forum.

Bruce Taylor
04-28-2001, 08:08 AM
Speaking of Forum history who is the oldest surviving Forumite?

I've dug around in the archives a bit and run into a few early posts, from back in the days when computers were hand-carved from mastodon dung.

The names Cleek, Rosen and McColgin seem to come up a lot. But who was here first?

thechemist
04-28-2001, 12:10 PM
In the Beginning there was Cleek.

Bruce Taylor
04-28-2001, 12:57 PM
Really? Just Cleek drifting around in the void? Alone in the dark, surrounded by yellow-eyed Lurkers, muttering "boat ... boat ... boat ..."

Must have been strange. Who came next?

thechemist
04-28-2001, 03:55 PM
The Committee said, "Let there be Forum".

And there was Forum.

god
04-28-2001, 04:37 PM
Actually, in the beginning, the world was without shape or forum, and I said, "Let there be Forum," and there was Forum and I saw that it was good, blah, blah, blah...
Cleek was a mistake, frankly, sort of took on a life of his own, and, what with one thing and another, I haven't really had the time or energy to sort of clean that whole thing up. No closure, to translate it into psychobabble, which seems to be all that people understand these days.
God, I miss Shakespeare...

norske
04-28-2001, 07:56 PM
So who in The Commitee was the first to respond to the "Beginning Cleek"?

Syd MacDonald
04-28-2001, 10:37 PM
In the beginning Bob Cleek had some kind of Chat Line going of his own making but I don't think it caught on as the forum came on line about the same time. I think the longest thread might have been the Jetski series. Just mention Jetski and it will resurface and everyone will or will want to take shot at it. I think it was also responsible for the cannon and the potato cannon threads or obvious reasons.

Bruce Taylor
04-29-2001, 07:28 AM
God -- it's so like you to try to take credit for everything. Autonomous, self-generated life-forms like Cleek don't fit into your "omnipotent lord of the universe" scenario. You know, a good therapist could help you work out some of those control issues.

ThomNC
04-29-2001, 05:21 PM
I spec Freud n Adler n Jung n em are there, but he may not be able to afford the fees.
ThomNC

thechemist
04-29-2001, 06:07 PM
I don't think you will get God to sit down [lie down, so to speak] with a therapist......He created psychiatry and hasn't stopped laughing since. Have you noticed how, about every few months, He sends one of His psych students into the forum with some hokey survey or project needing your cooperation, just to see how far an appendage can be pulled? Never let it be said that He has no sense of humor.

none
04-29-2001, 06:50 PM
I think I need the help of a head doctor...for some reason I just lay in bed all night wondering if there realy is a dog...

god
04-29-2001, 09:07 PM
Freud and Adler and Jung may, indeed, be somewhere, but they are most certainly not "here," since, to paraphrase dear old Gertrude Stein, "There's no here here." They may be on a cloud plucking harp strings, as so many people envision it, or shrinking heads in some sulphurous pit, but they are not hanging out with the trans-dimensional Yours Truly. Thank Me!
And, Bruce, we all have 'control issues,' my friend, but cracking wise with me could screw up your entire millennium, if you know what I mean, and I think you do...

Andrew
04-30-2001, 10:16 AM
Descartes walks into a bar and orders a drink. After a while the bar tender comes over and asks if he'd like another. Decartes replied "I think not." and POOF, he was gone.

Ian McColgin
04-30-2001, 11:04 AM
Those taliban afgans may have a handle on what to do with other's gods but the Forum transcends the space-time-material-spiritual continuum.

Bob Cleek
04-30-2001, 03:24 PM
God didn't have anything to do with it. It was all about evolution. Still, the Forum was here when I crawled out of the primordial ooze, so? Who knows?

BrianCunningham
04-30-2001, 05:05 PM
http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif

John Gearing
04-30-2001, 06:04 PM
I don't know exactly when the forum started....that would be question for Scot at Woodenboat, the unseen master who keeps this system going for all of us sawdustheads. I tried to scoot back to the "big bang" via the archives but they seemed to come to a grinding halt fairly recently. Turns out there have been a couple of different software packages used to provide forum service, and I do not think the archives available with the software we're using now go back to the original archives in the previous software.
I remember I got my computer in early 1996 and Internet service in the Spring of that year, and one of the first places I went was the Woodenboat forum. At that time there wasn't much traffic but what traffic there was contained a lot more questions than answers. There were a few regulars back then, among which were me, Bob Cleek, and Bob Miller (where has he gone? I sure do miss his pithy messages!) and I'm sure I have left out more than a few others. T'wasn't on purpose--just bad memory. It took a while for the forum to really catch on, but it has, marvelously. I am never less than amazed at the quality of the advice, jokes, and everything else associated with the forum. Seems like there are more "regulars" every day now. Hurrah!

[This message has been edited by John Gearing (edited 04-30-2001).]

Bruce Taylor
04-30-2001, 06:35 PM
The evolution of Cleek:

http://www.headfrst.com/evol.jpg

Scott Rosen
04-30-2001, 06:53 PM
Bruce,

Is that meant to be read left to right, or right to left?

Bruce Taylor
04-30-2001, 07:11 PM
Hmmm...maybe the image got reversed in the scanner...

Thanks for the history lesson, John. So you were there when Cleek first hauled himself up onto dry land. 1996! We had computers in those days, as I recall, but you had to crank them by hand.

Bob Cleek
04-30-2001, 09:05 PM
Love the pic! ROTFLMAO... So true. I got more work done with the jack hammer than the computer, but make more money with the 'puter.

Yes, those were the days! John and Miller and I. Who else? Karen Baisch has been pretty silent in here for a while. Maybe they have a rule or something... you work for WB and you stay out of the forum? I do wonder what happened to Miller. Used to e-mail him, too. Dropped off the screen. He was a real Gulf swamp rat and he'd been working on boats longer than any of us. The King of Quick and Dirty! I remember when he took pity on some guy in here and shipped him a hunk of swamp cypress knee for a stern post or something. Quality guy, but a bit to the right of Attila the Hun! LOL I suppose like most of us, you reach a burn out point and have to take a breather. Besides, there are only so many times you can explain what CPES is before you leave it to somebody else! LOL

bob goeckel
04-30-2001, 09:18 PM
CPES? explain please!
i don't know how to run the searchy thing
http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/rolleyes.gif

[This message has been edited by bob goeckel (edited 04-30-2001).]

Todd Schliemann
05-01-2001, 02:49 AM
If anybody wants to know what these old farts are talking about try this http://media5.hypernet.com/cgi-bin/netforum/woodenboat/a/1

No search engine here, but very good stuff to dig through. Dig. it's worth it. Miller might even chime in. Cleek won't be far behind.

[This message has been edited by Todd Schliemann (edited 05-01-2001).]

Art Read
05-01-2001, 11:50 AM
Re: The earliest "archives"... I seem to recall not long after I first found this place that Scott warned us all to back up any posts we didn't want to lose 'cause they were about to revamp the format. All posts to be deleted. Then they revamped again a year or so later but left the new "old" forum up on a different URL as an "archive". That's the one others here are refering to when they recommend browsing through to find the late, great "Swivel Gun" thread. All revisions since then have not resulted in losing any posts. GREAT feature! The very earliest posts and the identity of the original "plankowners" however, if they still exist at all, remain only on a backup file somewhere...

Beowolf
05-01-2001, 11:54 AM
CPES?

I think its like epoxy, buy I can never seem to get anything to stick together with it.

Dunno.

Jeff.

bob goeckel
05-01-2001, 03:42 PM
jeff how about searching for a thread on using super glue? LOL

imported_Steven Bauer
05-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Jeff, she's been back for a week. look in Building under 'Staedel 24'
Steven

Memphis Mike
05-10-2008, 01:14 AM
I think I need the help of a head doctor...for some reason I just lay in bed all night wondering if there realy is a dog...

Used to be a guy named B Legget around here. He drove a black hearse......

Duncan Gibbs
05-10-2008, 09:31 AM
The Internet's oldest continuing culture: This thread!