PDA

View Full Version : Text messaging

cs
09-17-2004, 06:51 AM
Okay I don't go for all that glitchy trendy stuff, so I don't know squat about this.

Last night while sitting on the couch with the wife's legs over mine, the kid sitting in my lap doing homework and a cat laying on me, my phone beeped. My cousin sent my a text message (don't know why he just didn't call) asking me what I was doing. Thought I would try to text him back, because I really didn't want to talk, and just say "Homework". As I tried to punch in the word homework I could get the h but when I tried to go to the next letter it was like the phone was anticipating what I wanted and would put up "him" and I never could get the letter I wanted.

Anyone ever deal with text messaging, and why not just call?

Chad

Chris Stewart
09-17-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by cs:
Anyone ever deal with text messaging, and why not just call?

ChadThere are times it comes in handy. For example, if I need to contact my wife to ask or tell something, but either she or I am in a place where cell phone use is discouraged (classroom, concert, etc). With the phone set to vibrate rather than ring, we get the message and can respond without bothering anyone.

Our phones have different settings for text messaging. The one we use requires inputting each letter and does not try to guess what we want to say. Your manual should describe any choices your phone has.

John Meachen
09-17-2004, 12:36 PM
Everybody between the ages of ten and thirty seems to use text messaging.Apart from the sending of messages in situations where answering the phone is impossible I can't think of any advantage. I can talk a good deal faster than I can input a text message.I can also read faster than the small window on a phone displays the message, if its longer than a couple of sentences. I also receive too many junk texts from my service provider and if crossing borders, the next country always has a partner of the provider sending me messages about their service. I intend to avoid the next generation of phone with text and picture capabilities for as long as possible.