Clear All
  • Joe (SoCal)
    Banned
    • Feb 2002

Helicopter Expertise

• formerlyknownasprince
    Banned
    • May 2002

Saw one of them in Townsville yesterday - it wasn't doing that though! Nice!

Ian

Comment

• rhtyler
      Defenestrator in Chief
      • Nov 2002

That's a pretty old pic. I think I saw it a couple of years ago. Pretty hot helo flying.

Comment

• cs
        Elite Invisible Member
        • Feb 2001

The only in flight emergancy I've ever been in was in a Chinock. We came into Memphis Navel Air Station on only one engine. Next day we took off and the made a loop and landed back where we started saying that they had an "unusual" viberation. How in the hell can you tell?

So, no thank you very much, I will stick with something else.

Chad
        There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
        Love is My Religion

Comment

• Bob Smalser
          • Jun 2003

Crashed 3 times in helos in 32 years as a pax. One H-13 and two Blackhawks.

Last one in 1994 influenced my decision to retire. The Probabilities and Statistics Monster was catching up to my ass.

Keep doing hair-raising crap long enuf, Chad, and your number might come up.

[ 12-14-2005, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Bob Smalser ]
          Bob

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/b...lser-index.asp
          http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl#smalser

Comment

• cedar savage
            • Aug 2005

Anyone know where that picture was taken?

Comment

• Bob Smalser
              • Jun 2003

Guessing, but looks like a CH-46 at the USMC Mountain School at Bridgeport, CA.

[ 12-14-2005, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: Bob Smalser ]
              Bob

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/b...lser-index.asp
              http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl#smalser

Comment

• Phillip
                Original Invisible Man
                • Nov 2001

Happiness is worth waiting for!

Comment

• cs
                  Elite Invisible Member
                  • Feb 2001

Just to clarify when I said we made a loop, I don't mean like what Phil posted, but rather we flew out a bit and came back to land.

Phil, I'm a pretty on the edge type of guy, but not sure if I want to do that.

Chad
                  There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
                  Love is My Religion

Comment

• Phillip
                    Original Invisible Man
                    • Nov 2001

Shucks, Chad. I figured you fella's popped some rivets with your "loop" and had to land.

Looks like fun to me! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Later,

Phil
                    Happiness is worth waiting for!

Comment

• paladinsfo
                      Senior Senior Member
                      • Dec 2000

When they wuz demonstrating the new "rigid rotor" system on choppers in Saigon....and doing loops fer a bunch of gen'ral types, Tex, the bell rep, tapped me on the shoulder and sed "let's go fer a ride".
                      We went to a 206 at the edge of the field....made a mad run in front of the ossifers, and Tex looped the damn thing right in front of them.....with me hanging on fer dear life......it was to prove that any idiot could loop a chopper, with or without a rigid rotor, as long as the loop was perfectly coordinated.....ain't many really good pilots like that..
                      Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                      ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                      Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                      Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                      "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                        • Jun 2001

started saying that they had an "unusual" viberation. How in the hell can you tell?
                        How indeed. [img]smile.gif[/img] We used to say that a helicopter is a series of vibrations connected in such a fashion as to beat the air into submission. Lots and lots of moving parts in even a simple one. If something gets out of whack, it makes itself known pretty quickly.

That's is a nice piece of airmanship there - some real teamwork too. The crew chief in the back is the pilot’s eyes, telling him where the big butt of that Chinook is and directing him to touchdown.

That's a CH-47C or D with the distinctive engine intake and exhaust. Hook pilots loved them as they were very stable and for a long time the only twin engine aircraft in the inventory. But god awful noisy (even by helicopter standards) and leaked like an old rotten hull. The old joke was “a Chinook that’s not leaking hydraulic fluid has leaked it all out.” And like a Cobra, they can’t be controlled without the hydraulic systems.

The Navy/Marine CH-46 Sea Knight is noticeably smaller with a different engine and fuel tank arrangement and only three landing gear.

Comment

• rhtyler
                          Defenestrator in Chief
                          • Nov 2002

I took a minute and hunted it down. It's not as old as I thought (3/2004), but it is where I thought -- in Afghanistan. The Air Force pilot is Larry Murphy, and it is definitely a CH-47, not a -46 (I knew that from the pic -- I used to live practically next door to MCAS(H) Tustin.

Comment

• cedar savage
                            • Aug 2005

[ 12-14-2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: cedar savage ]

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                              • Jun 2001

An Air Force pilot at the controls of an Army helicopter?

NEVER!!

Many U.S. pilots from civilian and public-service helicopter operations are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Among them is Larry Murphy, a 10-year veteran of Keystone Helicopter’s EMS unit at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown, Pennsylvania. On active duty now with Company G, 104th Aviation Regiment, Pennsylvania National Guard, Murphy recently put his skills to the test by setting his CH-47’s tail on a rooftop to pick up Afghanis in custody. Those persons had been detained during Operation Mountain Resolve in Afghanistan’s Nuristan Province. Murphy is one of nine Keystone employees currently on active duty.

Comment

Working...