PDA

View Full Version : Virus Question

Memphis Mike
01-20-2006, 07:47 AM
Is it possible for a website to be infected with a virus?

This forum has been acting strange lately and we got a virus from somewhere a couple of days ago.

uncas
01-20-2006, 07:48 AM
MMike...read my post on the terrorist thread for a possible explanation...

Joe (SoCal)
01-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Not if Scot has a Mac server ;)

http://images.apple.com/xserve/images/xs_indextop_20050912.gif
http://images.apple.com/xserve/images/xs_indextop_010604_02.gif

The Xserve G5 offers compute power in a feature-dense 1U server with dual 64-bit G5 processors at speeds of up to 2.3GHz. An award-winning UNIX-based server operating system with unlimited clients, up to 1.5TB storage, PCI-X expansion, dual Gigabit Ethernet, fast I/O ports and an optical drive let Xserve G5 serve your every need. Get enterprise-class features and stability starting at $2999.

:D

Bruce Hooke
01-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Memphis Mike:
Is it possible for a website to be infected with a virus?

This forum has been acting strange lately and we got a virus from somewhere a couple of days ago.It is possible (but not very likely if the server is well run) for the server running a website to get a virus, but it would be unlikely to cause the kind of "strange" things that I expect you are talking about with regard to the forum. I believe it is also unlikely that such a virus would try to propegate via people connecting to the server to view a website.

As a general rule, to get a real virus from a website you have to actively accept the download and installation of an application. If such a message were popping up on the WoodenBoat forum you would have heard others screaming about it.

Meerkat
01-20-2006, 10:59 PM
The WMF bug can infect from websites.

Sue H.
01-21-2006, 11:42 AM
Ended up to be W32 Licum, a "worm", probably invaded when I was on the computer for hours upon end without virus protection trying to do my yearly Norton update. You know, the one where you remove the old version of virus protection software and then simply load the new disk? :mad: :mad:

And after 10+ hours, including time spent IMing with techies in India that work for Norton,and doing everything they told me to do, STILL not having functioning software? :mad: :mad:

I got up early the next morning with a clear head and calm mind and finally got it loaded in an hour, using a small volume of stuff printed off of the Symantec website. Then, within a few days, Norton was popping up every few seconds, keeping the Worm at bay. I went through the Symantec steps for getting rid of it, and finally killed the darned thing.

I'm grateful that Joe's in a "time out" so that he can't make any snide replies to this. :D

ingo
01-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
Not if Scot has a Mac server ;)

That's not true at all :D

The "normal" viruses do not try to infect websites when they are active on a computer. They have their own mail servers to distribute themselfes. The problem with websites are hackers. They try to exploit security holes to get access to the server. This forum is written in the perl-language that is the same on all operating systems including Mac OS-X. If the forum software has a secutity hole, it would have it on a Mac, too.

And Unix or Mac OS-X (that is based on Unix)does not have less security problems than Windows. But windows-based viruses are more effective since 95% of computers are running Windows. Why should a Hacker invest his time on a small market like Macs?