PDA

View Full Version : Poulsbo "Panza" in the water,pics

Walcheren
05-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Well,here she is. What can I say. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p162f2ef3d14a9fb4784b55e19edb3a5f/fc2454e3.jpg [IMG] [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pc63e9b5f829b2c61330910a5ddb98a67/fc24601b.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pb61abb58238182bb890895c1c3438107/fc245e5b.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p11a5c4079701837fe9e392f14de03fe4/fc245bbe.jpg Thank you all for your help. For advise on colour,(malache green and Seattle gray), mast hoops, pine tar, slippery floors, red lead, roofing tar, propeller and all the other questions and answers that came my and your way. Now it is time to go boating making sure I go with the tide,literally. I am half way constructing a tent over her. There is just enough room for me to sleep. She sail so so with a sprit sail but she moves and it is quiet. Amazingly, I can stear her well with the rudder I have. A lee board may come one day.

Wiley Baggins
05-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Beautiful...

mmd
05-15-2003, 11:18 PM
Looks great. Have fun & play safe!

Jim Goodine
05-16-2003, 05:51 AM
Pure beauty on the water. I love it.

nedL
05-16-2003, 06:43 AM
Very nice!! Real pretty one you've got there. smile.gif

jlapratt
05-16-2003, 06:52 AM
Thank you for adding some beauty and class to the world for the all of us to enjoy; you to sail and we to gaze at.

Jeff

Tar Devil
05-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Lovely!

Thanks for showing us!

Later,

Phil

NormMessinger
05-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Don't you just hate it when a beautiful boat is displayed with lousy photographs? Well, that is certainly NOT the case here. It is a real vicarious thrill to see you boat on the water so nicely displayed.

Thank you very much and best wishes.

Art Read
05-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Way to go! Could you refresh our memories with a "before" picture? I seem to remember an early post with a VERY "different" looking Paulsbo a while back...

ChuckG
05-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Absolutely Stunning!

smile.gif

So, if I have read previous posts correctly, for lines and construction plans you used the Poulsbo Boat brochure published by CWB, right? Did you make any modifications when you lofted her? Did you have any other info about Poulsbo boats?

Congratulations!

Walcheren
05-16-2003, 07:11 PM
Reply to Art: There are no before pictures. This one is made from "scratch" and you know what that looks like.
Reply to Beardrum: Yes, I picked up the CWB publication in a second hand bookstoro 15 years ago and thought I might build her one day. No, I did not modify the lofting one Iota. In fact I changed the off-sets to metric, thought that would be a little more accurate and easier. It was for me, being half metric, anyway. Whether there were any discrapencies in the off-sets, I would not know. I believe someone on the forum said so at one time but I did not find any.If it did not look right I made it look right. Sweat lines! Other info on Poulsbo. Yes, first the Forum. I also went to Bremerton to see someone who had been repairing these boats for the last 40 or 50 years. Spend a whole day with him, shop talk and lots of photos.
Let me know if you want to know more.

Rich VanValkenburg
05-16-2003, 10:12 PM
There's a work of art. Neat playground, too.

Rich

JimD
05-16-2003, 10:22 PM
A real sweetheart. Great job.

RGM
05-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Nicely done to say the least. Fine job on the pictures also. What's your next project going to be?

Donn
05-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Wow! What a stunner! What are her vital statistics..length, beam, draft, engine? Is it the pics, my eyes, or does she lean to starboard?

Walcheren
05-17-2003, 07:59 PM
And thanks again. Yes she might well lean a little to starboard. That is where the gastank is, full, one Canadian gallon!,(good for 4 hours and a half) and my toolbox. in which are enough tools to take the whole engine apart and the anchor is also on starboard under the foredeck. You do have a good eye for this. Thanks. Please look in "My Boat" under Panza. That will give you some numbers. If you would like more let me know. I do have to put them together sometime.

On Vacation
05-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by NormMessinger:
[QB]Don't you just hate it when a beautiful boat is displayed with lousy photographs?QB]Yea, and it even worse when the pretty boat, displayed with the pretty surroundings is not mine. ;) Nice work.

Mr. Know It All
05-18-2003, 08:38 AM
WOW :eek: Very nice work. Absolutely beautiful. Have fun. smile.gif

Wild Dingo
05-18-2003, 08:49 AM
What can I add?? other than what them fellas all said already :cool: Well done mate now go enjoy~! but dont forget to start a journal of your adventures to share with yer mates!! ;)

ishmael
05-18-2003, 09:15 AM
Walcheren,

Looks like really nice work!

How 'bout some history of the design. What was it originally used for? Why the sharply upturned sheer at the bow. What sort of motor have you mounted? Waters they were designed for. That sort of thing.

Jack

Donn
05-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Ish...
http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004297

Jeff Kelety
05-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Lovely!!!!

Mr. Know It All
05-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Donn......You have mastered the forum search. Not an easy task. :cool:

Lion
05-18-2003, 08:02 PM
Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Lion

schoonertack
05-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Looks great! How about posting a picture of her wake? Have fun I hope to be out there soon.

Tom Beard
05-20-2003, 07:05 PM
It was a joy to have forwarded to me this thread containing the delightful photos of Walcheren’s Poulsbo Boat. It has been many years since I have seen these lines — it has to be over a quarter-century since I crawled around the hull of a sweet sixteen-footer to lift lines that had been a home for years to many feral cats. Fortunately it was a cold February so the smell was somewhat diminished. There appears to be a couple of assumptions about the lines no one ever asked me about. One is that they were taken from a hogged hull and another is that the table of offsets has errors. To the first I have to respond: The particular hull I measured was straight of keel and keelson at the time of measurement. I stretched strings along the garboard and keelson to check. They confirmed the trueness. Perhaps the story started because of the hollow in the keel in profile. This was the shape of the keel at the lines were taken, however in my interview with Gordon Young — son of the builder — he said there was none built this way. The keel bottoms were all straight lines in profile. I never discovered the reason for the curve in this keel other than to assume it was done later perhaps as an easy repair to keel damage. I just drew it as it was. As for the trueness of lines taken from just one hull, I did not rely on it solely. I discovered (and recovered) the half-models of several of the Young boats (later returned to Gordon). It was from these that I derived the fundamental measurements. I did learn that these are not true but are the mold shape; the hull sprung out along the sheer after the mold was removed. So the drawings accompanying the Poulsbo Boat book are probably as true as possible for a batch of several hundred boats each springing to its own will. As for the criticism of accuracy in the table of offsets — well after all these years no one has brought it to my attention. However, I did make a mistake and my ears still burn from the chewing out I got from a builder of the first from the plans. It seems I was rushed to getting plans out and for some — obviously stupid — reason during a nearly all-night task, faired the lines then struck new section ordinates (unchecked) from which I took offsets. I went back and redid the lines as they were published, hopefully with fairer offsets. It is such a great pleasure to see ones work transcribed into such a lovely object. Next, I hope someday to see a finished Elco 26 from my recreated drawings. http://www.oldmarineengine.com/store/Plans/ELCO.htm

Tom

Wild Wassa
05-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Walcheren, Lord Nelson would look at home, in your boat. She is very attractive. Signage like that on the HMS Victory would really suit your boat, ... if you don't mind me saying.

Warren.

[ 05-21-2003, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Walcheren
05-21-2003, 12:06 AM
Thank you Tom for your essay. It is good to read some more history about this boat. I did not let her spring when she came off the molds.In fact, because of the tumblehome I felt the only way to get her off was to take the molds apart. Thank goodness I had not glued them together so I just took the screws out and out they came. I did have several spalls from shear to shear to keep her together. I talked to a gentleman in Bremerton and he mentioned there was an idea afoot to republish the booklet the CWB in Seattle put out. Is there a chance that indeed will happen? I think there would be quite a few people interested. Thanks again for your interesting story. Dirk.
And to Wild Wassa. Are you racing in a Mirror? Thanks for your compliment.

Wild Wassa
05-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Walcheren:
And to Wild Wassa. Are you racing in a Mirror? Thanks for your compliment.

Yes and no about the Mirror. I've only had two races in a Mirror, early last season, which has finished. I'd finish restoring the boat (for the Sea Scouts) and wanted to see how she handled. As they say, when a Mirror has been sailed well, all other classes curse the day's racing. The Mirror's handicap is difficult to beat, often enhanced by light crews. I sail a Seafly, who's hull shape is somewhat similar to your boat, but hard chined. In open handicaps Mirrors hold their own, I keep my eye on them.

I hope you have had the chance to sail one.

Warren.

[ 05-21-2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]