PDA

View Full Version : Any Similarities?

gunnar I am
12-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Trent Lott has come under fire for his comments regarding Strom Thurmond.Several democrats have asked for his resignation. Germany and Canada both had cabinet members resign for their comments about Bush. So should Lott have to resign. And if you think he does, what does that say about Thurmond, who endorsed the principals at the center of the controversy and what does it say about this nation, that he served so long?

[ 12-10-2002, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: gunnar i am ]

Greg H
12-10-2002, 12:05 PM
I wish he would resign, but not likely since his party controls all branches of the Gov. He's got those racial tendencies from way back..... ;)
http://www.tylwythteg.com/enemies/lott.html

Greg H
12-10-2002, 12:08 PM
Man, I really can't spell before noon, the heck with it....
http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/geno/rofl.gif

[ 12-10-2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Greg H ]

gunnar I am
12-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Thanks for that link Greg.Love Trent Lott's Bible Stories! :D

Jim H
12-10-2002, 12:17 PM
Yep, I think algore should pass on 2004 because his father was a racist and he loves his father.

gunnar I am
12-10-2002, 12:37 PM
Just for the rcord: I don't think he should have to resign. His comments are a matter of public record .If enough people don't like what he says, vote him out.If his comments, are demonstrated in policy making, voting record, than even more reason to vote him out. Likewise ,I think it was wrong ,that in Canada and Germany ,those two ,resigned.I wonder how much that had to do with Bushes reactions. Same thing there, there comments are on the record,so whats the problem.Bush calls a guy an a**hole,another does Monica, come on! Last time I checked ,this was a democracy.

Greg H
12-10-2002, 12:51 PM
Too bad so few people look at the records, or bother to vote at all. He can say and believe what he pleases, as long as I'm not expected to agree.

Ed Harrow
12-10-2002, 12:58 PM
I, for one, was shocked, utterly shocked at his comments. All the ensuing problems we've had simply because we didn't vote in the man and his Dixicrats. I just never would have thought Senator Lott would have said such a thing.

And, speaking of Gore, it was his auntie or some such that introduced Spiro to Tricky Dick. Sounds like two strikes.

Alan D. Hyde
12-10-2002, 01:25 PM
Thank God fat Albert's not President, and he never will be.

And, thank God, neither is Trent Lott.

His remarks reflected both ignorance, and either intellectual indolence or bigotry. The Wall Street Journal, with its characteristic editorial magnanimity, ran a well-written editorial on the incident criticizing Lott.

Thurmond, by the way, has grown since the days of the Dixiecrats, and has had numerous black staffers and supporters.

Lott, on the other hand, has made scores of mistakes, but doesn't appear to have learned much from them.

Alan

James R
12-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by gunnar i am:
... Likewise ,I think it was wrong ,that in Canada and Germany ,those two ,resigned.I wonder how much that had to do with Bushes reactions. ...Just to set the record straight: Françoise Ducros, the canadian that resigned, was not a cabinet member. She was the Prime Minister's communication's director. It wasn't Bush's reaction that forced her to quit (he just shrugged it off) but rather the reaction of the canadian press in the following days. To understand why the press went after blood you have to realize that Chrétien isn't very popular at the moment. Many want him gone now but we have to wait until next year for the Grits to choose a new leader and 2004 for the next election. Personally I wouldn't want someone who would call Bush a moron in the middle of a room full of reporters and expect it to be kept confidential as my communications director.

John of Phoenix
12-10-2002, 02:41 PM
I missed this first time around, but it's Remarkable.

Senate Republican leader Trent Lott of Mississippi has provoked criticism by saying the United States would have been better off if then-segregationist candidate Strom Thurmond had won the presidency in 1948.

Speaking Thursday at a 100th birthday party and retirement celebration for Sen. Thurmond (R-S.C.) in the Dirksen Senate Office Building, Lott said, "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

Thurmond, then governor of South Carolina, was the presidential nominee of the breakaway Dixiecrat Party in 1948. He carried Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and his home state. He declared during his campaign against Democrat Harry S. Truman, who supported civil rights legislation, and Republican Thomas Dewey: "All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches."

If the GOP leader carries that philosophy to the House and Senate, this will be a most difficult time for us. Man, and I thought Newt was obnoxious.