PDA

View Full Version : transom replacement

SkipHeck
08-26-2004, 02:25 PM
my brother in law has an old runabout, he says the transom needs replacing, he mentioned that people he knew that had the same problem cut about a foot off thier boat and replaced the transom because of rotted wood. Is this wise????

Chris Coose
08-28-2004, 05:02 PM
I've seen it done a bunch.
I may recall a forumite having done it a couple of years ago.

Naturally, it depends on the boat. Lobster boats do well with this radical repair. Their transoms are not very complex.

This method solves lots of problems. I cures rot on any of the ends and gives a fresh board to screw into. But I wouldn't be hacking off any of a Concordia yawl, for sure.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-28-2004, 09:32 PM
I've seen it done successfully on a 23 ft. Lyman wood lapstrake inboard. It's now a 22 ft. smile.gif
I'm considering it for my 16 footer because the hood ends are like swiss cheese already. On a small boat, 6 inches would give me better wood to run fasteners through. It would also save me some scarphing time. My only concern would be what cutting off 6 inches would do to the balance and handling of the boat?

What, size, year, make, type of wood,fasteners,etc.?
We need details man. :D

SkipHeck
08-29-2004, 12:20 AM
He is away for the weekend but I will get more info, I know its round hull strip planked and that he has done some repairs to it a couple yrs ago.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
09-01-2004, 04:11 PM
bump smile.gif