PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mainers re Maine politics

Jack Heinlen
10-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Anyone know a good web voter's guide to the various candidates and issues? I've heard quite a bit of debate on issue one, and the bear baiting issue, but not much else.

George.
10-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Bear baiting? What's that all about?

By the way, Maine is in Canada, right? ;)

George.
10-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Ironmule:
...yes to raise the mileage to pay for better fire dept equipment. :D

Guess the Department of Homeland Security had no funds available for that... hey, but firemen are not a priority - there is a war on terror to fight!

huisjen
10-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Jack, here's how I see it:

The anti-bear-baiting crowd says that hunting isn't needed to control bear populations, as food supplies, etc, are the real limits on the population.

Therefore, we have to ask which is more humane: being slowly starved to death, or having a bad day involving a snack, some pesky dogs, and a quick bullet? Then throw in the question of meat on the table, either in the form of the actual bear or the money from the sports tourism.

Therefore, liberal-progressive lil ole me is voting no on 2. I think hunting with bait and dogs is just fine, and see no reason to change it.

Dan

[ 10-29-2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: huisjen ]

George.
10-29-2004, 05:03 PM
I spent a week in Maine once, and I didn't see no bears.

Saw lots of humans, though.

Are you sure you got too many bears there?

Jack Heinlen
10-29-2004, 05:06 PM
George,

Bear baiting is the rather unsporting practice of using bait stations prior to the season to draw the bears in, almost on a schedule, and then popping them. It's ususually used, as I understand it, by commercial operators who hire out to hunters. Why someone would want to hunt that way is beyond me. Even though it's unsporting, however, I plan to vote against the ban. It's certainly not on a par with coyote snaring, a bone of contention that I've not heard much about lately. There a snare is used, leaving the animal to die of starvation. If I ever have a chance to vote on that I will vote for a ban, even if the coyote population gets out of hand. There has to be a more humane way.

The state's wildlife biologists are, offically anyway, against the ban, saying its elimination will lead to an explosion of the bear population. Bears are a problem in some areas: breaking into camps etc. The fear is that without this method of population management such problems will increase signifigantly.

Alan D. Hyde
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
A Maine neighbor used to hunt bears with airedales.

They'd run straight at the bear, sure that they'd take him--- and they usually did.

There's an airedale's character encapsulated for you.

Alan

[ 10-29-2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

George.
10-30-2004, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:

The state's wildlife biologists are, offically anyway, against the ban, saying its elimination will lead to an explosion of the bear population. Bears are a problem in some areas: breaking into camps etc. Hmmm... what kept the bear population from exploding for millions of years before the arrival of white men?

Sure, bears break into camps, if you don't bear-proof them. Maybe the problem is careless campers. In Africa, if you camp carelessly, you get eaten - yet no one suggests that lions and hyenas should be culled because of it (at least in the few places in Africa where there is still wildlife and areas for recreational camping).

An idiot-proof world will be a boring and impoverished world.

Chris Coose
10-30-2004, 06:26 AM
Local issues are best covered in local news papers.
The Bangor Daily is a fish wrapper but did seem to present the local candidtates pretty well.

Council and school committee seats are important to know about before walking in to vote. The www is not the best place to look.
I know people on the school committee and the city council here in Portland. I talk to them and ask them who they'd like to sit with each week.

"All politics is local." Tip O'Neal.

To know local takes some action. Most don't have an R or a D next to their names.

imported_Steven Bauer
10-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Have you looked at the Maine Public Radio website?

www.mainepublicradio.org (http://www.mainepublicradio.org)

Steven

Cuyahoga Chuck
10-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Northern Wisconsin is loaded with black bears. The state allows bear hunting with dogs. In the late summer and early fall idyllic places like Bayfield County are overrun with hoards of hillbillies and their ill-mannered dogs. The state allows pre-season non-lethal training hunts so the locals have to endure all this disruption long before the season begins.
The hillbillies know which of the locals feed the bears so the necessity for hunting skill is negligable.
Shooting fish in a barrel?
Charlie