PDA

View Full Version : Memory problem

cs
02-22-2005, 07:45 AM
No not with mine.

I've got a Dell system that only has 128 mb ram. This is the old PC133 SDRAM. Yesterday I got a new PS133 SDRAM 256 meg strip. When I put it in my system the bios would recgonize it, but when you try to turn the system on as soon as it gets to the windows start up page it would crash and re-start itself. On restart it would go through the imporoper shut down and scan the hard drive. As soon as it finished that and came back to the windows start up page, it would crash again.

I tried the memory in all the possible configrations. Tried it in both slots on the mother board, tried it with and without the other memory stick in the board and yet nothing worked. Any clues?

Chad

High C
02-22-2005, 10:06 AM
It should work. But sometimes various bits of hardware won't work together for mysterious reasons. I've seen this too with memory chips, a couple of times. The fix is to try a different RAM chip.

And it's a good move to add RAM since your upgrade to XP. XP is RAM hungry, you need it.

cs
02-22-2005, 10:08 AM
That is what we are going to try. My supplier is working on getting me a different stick of memory.

XP with 128 of ram works better than ME with 128 of ram.

Chad

High C
02-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by cs:
XP with 128 of ram works better than ME with 128 of ram.
And it'll fly with 384!