PDA

View Full Version : Not so fun Scare last night...

Noah
04-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Last night around 2:30 I woke up to really heavy banging on my front door. I go take a look from the top of the stairs, and I can see the silhouette of some guy still pounding on the door. Meanwhile he's screaming swear words and saying "Open the **&% Up!" I shout down the stairs asking who it is, and he screams back "It's Mike you %*$*#(# open the door!"

Well I don't know any Mikes around here, so I tell him I'm calling the cops, and that makes him even more pissed off. At this point I thought he was going to come through the door.

So I called 911, and after a tense 2 minutes they show up. At this point "Mike" was trying to kick down my front door, still screaming nonsensical stuff.

Turns out he was a drunk college kid who thought he was home. I guess he thought his buddies were playing a joke on him or something. Scary stuff for him, my girlfriend, and myself.

If he had made it through the door I don't know what I would have done. Hopefully he would have realized his mistake and left. I do own an old 22 rifle, but I didn't want to get it out. At the same time this guy was deranged enough that I was scared about what he might do, and who he thought I was.

I'm all for getting drunk and letting loose, but the repercussions of this could have been huge and nasty. As it was, Mike spent the night in Detox, and probably hasn't been let out yet. I choose not to press charges (the cops said I could get him for trespassing) and hopefully that's the end of it.

I didn't get much sleep after that though.

Noah

Dutch.Rub
04-20-2004, 10:07 AM
....ya need an accessible weapon...you can not rely on the cops to do what has to be done when it has to be done....drunk college kid be damned...if he comes into my abode without my permission hes dog meat...

[ 04-20-2004, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Dutch.Rub ]

Paul Pless
04-20-2004, 10:15 AM
....ya need an accessible weapon...you can not rely on the cops to do what has to be done when it has to be done.... I agree, that was very good police response time, however, alot could have happened even in two minutes. At the least you should have a nonlethal defense, some really good pepper spray. Even if you were to choose a handgun for defense, it is still incumbant for you to have an alternative nonlethal option.

Paul

Jack Heinlen
04-20-2004, 10:24 AM
My brother attended Kenyon College, in central Ohio. At the time, circa 1965, there were stories of Paul Newman(that one, who is an alum) circulating about his prodigious drunkeness at times. The story went that when he knew he was going on a bender with friends down the hall he'd tie a string to his door so he could reel himself in at the end of the night. Some jokers decided it would be fun to move the string to the Dean's doorknob. Probably apocryphal.

I've only felt the need to have a gun in hand once, when living in east Cleveland. Same sorta deal, drunks at the door.

I'm glad no one was hurt Noah, and I agree with Paul.

Shang
04-20-2004, 10:36 AM
As macho as it may be to think about blasting an intruding Bad Guy...you might be drawing a bead on a drunken neighbor...
BEFORE YOU PULL THE TRIGGER, READ THIS !!!!

http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/media/C-072_InGravestExt.jpg

In the Gravest Extreme, the Role of the Firearm in Personal Protection,
by Massad F. Ayoob

Since the penalty for trespassing isn't usually death, if you blow away a noisy trespasser you can end up behind bars.

Invest in substantial door locks, and reserve the gun for The Gravest Extreme.

[ 04-20-2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Shang ]

Noah
04-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Shang, I agree with you.

I didn't pull out the gun, and I didn't want to. I was scared, and I probably would have felt better if I did have some pepper spray or something. I do have a big fire extinguisher that probably would have slowed him down.

Basically I'm a nice guy who doesn't want to have any problems. If this guy had been a bit less mean I would have asked him to leave.

I don't live in the best neighborhood so the one things I was worried about was a drug deal gone bad, and him thinking he was at the right place to get his money back.

I'm going to upgrade the door locks cause they are old, and after last night I don't trust them.

Anyway, everything turned out fine, and the kid is now sleeping it off.

Noah

ahp
04-20-2004, 10:59 AM
If you are not cornered it is probably better to slip out the back. Everybody ends up alive.

rbgarr
04-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Mike...shmike. That was stan v ;)

Wild Dingo
04-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Noah:
I don't live in the best neighborhood so the one things I was worried about was a drug deal gone bad, and him thinking he was at the right place to get his money back.

I'm going to upgrade the door locks cause they are old, and after last night I don't trust them.

NoahNoah mate... maybe its time to look to movin someplace a bit nicer? if your not feelin safe in your own "castle" mate then... maybe its time? Just a thought

Shang
04-20-2004, 11:02 AM
A fierce watchdog is helpful too...

http://4dw.net/peckofsalt/czar244x288.jpg

LeeG
04-20-2004, 11:03 AM
solid door with big screws holding the latches in. When I lived in a marginal neighborhood in Oakland Ca. I was living in the front room of an old house,,seven young folks living there, only white kids on the block. Nice solid door with craftsman style little cut glass in the top. 12:30am the door busts open in one big bang, skinny white guy wearing white sox, boxer shorts and a sweater is yelling "where's the women,,where's the women"..
Turns out he was on a weird mix of acid and some kind of detox medication. He was ushered out and came back with his dad compensating for the door.

Joe (SoCal)
04-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by LeeG:
skinny white guy wearing white sox, boxer shorts and a sweater is yelling "where's the women,,where's the women"..
I'm sorry :D

Memphis Mike
04-20-2004, 11:22 AM
"I'm all for getting drunk and letting loose, but the repercussions of this could have been huge and nasty. As it was, Mike spent the night in Detox, and probably hasn't been let out yet. I choose not to press charges (the cops said I could get him for trespassing) and hopefully that's the end of it."

This is why I choose not to get drunk and let loose anymore. You might be doing the guy a favor if you press charges. If you don't, he's just gonna think this is something he can get by with again. Next time he may not be as lucky. There's a difference in drinking and being in control and vice versa. A lot of alcoholics get their start in college.

LeeG
04-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Joe,,no kidding,,but the hysterical part in retrospect,,was that I was sleeping naked,,I'm standing up half awake (went to sleep an hour before stoned) in my doorway, wondering why the door frame is blown inward,he comes in gives my dick a squeeze like a clowns nose expecting a bell to ring or something,,runs around faster than anything,,other roomates come out of their rooms and as I'm "guiding" him to the front door other roomates show up, I go back to put pants on
while "the old guy" in the house, tall 27yrold grad student, gets him down the steps. One roomate thinks I've had a lovers fight,,just broke up with my girlfried a month before so her impression sent me for a spin,,we're debating on calling the cops considering I've got dope growin in the closet and there's a pound of dope in the house.
That was a year.

Joe (SoCal)
04-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Lee thats is the funnyest thing you have written - see this non political stuff on the WBF is good :D : D :D ROTFLOL :D

JimD
04-20-2004, 12:01 PM
I keep a can of bear spray handy. Works on drunk bears, too

LeeG
04-20-2004, 12:03 PM
there have to be piles of "don't call the cops man" stories.
not mine, but the general irony of folks stuck in social darwinism.

Get this,,8yrs ago I'm wooing in a lazy way this girl getting in shape for the S.F. to LA Aids ride, I'm on the massage team and we've been going on long rides,,I'm not making any moves just damn glad to be out watching someone get fit. Ok,,a fit young woman 8yrs younger than me riding up hills, but I'm just along for the ride,,sex is the devils playground and besides this is my first year of sobriety. So she INVITES me to stay at a friends house where she's housesitting in the hills above Granada (north of SantaCruz). She's going to be speaking at an AA meeting and "would you like to come?",,,,er,,sure.
So everythings copacetic,,I'm obviously going to become a monk and celibate for the rest of my life. She's sleeping upstairs and I'm downstairs.
2:30am and theres's a loud BOOM,,,and I hear her talking upstairs to someone in a "concerned voice",,,this time I put my pants on and walk upstairs and there's this 20yr old guy looking a little flushed,,,our two trucks are displaced 15' and at an angle with his '80's Corolla sitting on a juniper bush that's PAST a big boulder where his Corolla was obviously airborne.
If our cars weren't there he would have gone down the driveway and into the wall where I was sleeping on the otherside.
The young man says "please don't call the cops, I just got off of work",,,and I say "have you been drinking?"..."yeah just a few"..anyway it was funny because he was so sincere and I was so glad to be alive.
Went back to sleep and had a fine breakfast.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-20-2004, 12:11 PM
drunken idiot.... :mad:

Alan D. Hyde
04-20-2004, 12:40 PM
When I was in high school, I had an ice cream truck for a summer: I paid the expenses (gasoline, dry ice, wholesale frozen confections, etc.) and kept the profits (I could buy bomb pops for .03@ and sell them for .15@, for example.)

The best places to sell a lot of ice cream were places where there were lots of people--- lots of hot people. Those places were often in bad neighborhoods. So I spent quite a bit of time back then in bad neighborhoods in an open International Harvestor Scout, with a bolted on fiberglass roof covering the big ice-cream freezer on the floor behind the front seats.

It was an interesting and profitable business. I could make as much, on a good day, as $100, which was good money in 1967. I was also shot at once, and another time had a door handle ripped off the truck and thrown at me (as I popped the clutch and departed rapidly). People (some of them very large) would come up to the truck and ask me to "loan" them some money, in their best menacing voice... (I was 6' 4" then, but weighed about 170.)

Anyway, most of the time I got along well with most of the people, and we'd talk and joke around together. One of my regular stops was in front of what was called "the marble house." Since it was a large wooden frame house with a big front porch on a slight hill, it was kind of a neighborhood landmark, and I finally asked (since I could see nothing marble about it) why it was called "the marble house?"

It turned out that it had a mail slot near the bottom of the front door, and that the old people who lived there had hinged a box, filled with marbles, behind the mail slot. When drunks would congregate on their porch at night and start raising hell, the old people would lift the string on the marble box, the marbles would come tumbling out, and the people on the front porch, many of them, would fall down.

It was a different era, and everybody then thought it was funny, and they had it coming, etc.... No lawsuits...

Alan

Paul Pless
04-20-2004, 12:55 PM
The Marble House,

Oh yes, we like this one very much! :D :D

Paul

Wild Dingo
04-20-2004, 01:09 PM
This is classic WBF hyjack stuff!! love it! :D :cool: And Lee mate you gotta keep writting this stuff what a hoot! a fella busts in gives yer tackle a tickle and yer the one whos under the still in the closet cloud! :D what a hoot :cool:

Allen Foote
04-20-2004, 01:32 PM
Think of this.....if Mike's behavior is like this when he is drinking,...did he drive to your house?

Anytime a deranged maniac is taken out of society, wiether by handcoffs or bullet, all of society benefits. Cold Reality.

Next drunkin binge...he could be the "killer on the highway".

You'll probably be reading about Mike in the paper one day.

Beowolf
04-20-2004, 01:48 PM
A few years back, we had a drunk show up at our door, asking for "Scott." He had the address right except it was for "south ....." and we live on "north ....." I tried my best to explain this too him and I kept myself in the doorway of the porch the entire time as he kept trying to come in. Finally after he had a few choice words for me, he jumped back in his car and left. In retrospect, I would have liked to have had Caffrey back then. She might not be the biggest dog on the block, but a hair-on-end Weimeraner with lips curled up to her eyeballs is something of a deterrant.

(Of course that would have all changed if he had simply pet her :rolleyes: )

Jeff

Jack Heinlen
04-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Allen,

Lay off Mike. He made his apologies here, which is more than I can say for myself. I never played the games he did, but I've played other games. And I now, officially, apologize for intemperate remarks I've made to my fellows here.

What is the anger that comes out here? It's not worthy. I know we are all better than it.

I like something Carl Jung once remarked. "I only allow myself to be angry if I also know I could choose otherwise." It's very Swiss/Germanic, but I think it worthy of contemplation.

Our current members who exhibit it are many, but Alan and Andrew, amongst others, come to mind.

A dear friend is married to a Puerto Rican woman who has a wicked temper. I hate stereotypes, but I think a part of it is genetic. But Jung's idea is worthy, no matter one's genes.

It's okay to disagree, it's okay to be angry and disagreeable, but only if out of choice. Then one is also able to make sense.

Jack

Dutch.Rub
04-20-2004, 05:03 PM
...face and name changed to protect the innocent....me.....

...heres MAX
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/americanpitbullterrier/pics/outlaw.jpg

...if he gets ahold of your gronicles youll be singing falsetto the rest of your life....if youre lucky....

[ 04-20-2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Dutch.Rub ]

Joe (SoCal)
04-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
Allen,

Lay off Mike. He made his apologies here, which is more than I can say for myself. I never played the games he did, but I've played other games. And I now, officially, apologize for intemperate remarks I've made to my fellows here.

What is the anger that comes out here? It's not worthy. I know we are all better than it.

I like something Carl Jung once remarked. "I only allow myself to be angry if I also know I could choose otherwise." It's very Swiss/Germanic, but I think it worthy of contemplation.

Our current members who exhibit it are many, but Alan and Andrew, amongst others, come to mind.

A dear friend is married to a Puerto Rican woman who has a wicked temper. I hate stereotypes, but I think a part of it is genetic. But Jung's idea is worthy, no matter one's genes.

It's okay to disagree, it's okay to be angry and disagreeable, but only if out of choice. Then one is also able to make sense.

JackJack a lot of fluff and poof and the obligitory Jung comment, all for nothing. DUDE !!! ya got the wrong MIke go back and read Noah's story "Mike " was the guy who was banging at his door - Not our MMike.

Also while Im at - Good going with the wagon MMike I'm proud of ya :D

Shang
04-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Always be careful of what you say about MMike--
he is skilled in the use of explosives...

Jack Heinlen
04-20-2004, 07:21 PM
redface.gif Misread Allen's post. Apologies Allen.

And Joe, you got a problem with me? Seems your undies are in a twist lately about sumpthin'. Why not put your raggedy, cross-dressing ass in the car and come for a visit, we'll settle it mano a...whatever. :mad: out of choice.

Just joking. ;) From the look of your photos you'd kick my butt, and Sheba's too easy to be much good in a fight.

The only time in thirteen years that I've heard her snarl was two weeks ago at the vet's. He tried to open her mouth as part of the exam, and that really hurts her these days, and there was no way she was gonna let him. Not a big deal. He knew right away not to press the issue. But it was interesting to hear her snarl; not growl but curl her lip and snarl.

Memphis Mike
04-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Shang:
Always be careful of what you say about MMike--
he is skilled in the use of explosives...Some don't know just how much truth there is to this statement Shang. I used to be a coal miner. ;)

brad9798
04-20-2004, 09:53 PM
2 minutes?

you either live in a really nice ... or a really bad part of town! Was is Oyster? (JUST KIDDING, Oyster!)

Joe (SoCal)
04-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Jack, I aint got no problem with you cept your flowery, trying WAY to hard to impress the ladies prose and your affinity for Jung, and Mexico Fred. Other that that your a swell guy who just needs to get laid. ;)

But if ya want to throw down in a ring with some mitts and head gear we can do it for charity you name it and ill take WBF bets. :D

OK, But seriously, sometimes you annoy me and I'm SURE I annoy you and a few others a long the way. But we are all just one big happy family and your the older sensitive brother I never had. I enjoy a tremendous amount of what you write and you definitely fill the cracks and spaces in the spirituality around here, so for that, thank you. I honestly wish I could set you up with a nice girl, you deserve it. You speak from your heart and for that I can never find fault. You make me think, and for that I thank you. Your a nice guy - misguided in some of your chosen authors. We have been around the ring a few times on that racial issues but I know I'm not going to change you. Nor will you convert me to the liturgy of Fred. I honestly hope we do get a chance to sit and have a beer and I would be willing to meet you and I know we would get along. I will be as I said up in Newburyport and then Newport for the show I hope to make your aquantence and share a brew :D

Now Donn on the other hand :D
Hey DUDE Donn you gonna go to Newport??

[ 04-20-2004, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Joe (SoCal)
04-20-2004, 10:57 PM
The WoodenBoat Forum will have its own tent at the WoodenBoat Show, Newport, RI. It might make getting together a bit easier with Joe (CSOH) in attendance who would want to miss that :D

Mrleft8
04-21-2004, 08:14 AM

There's a "bad" nieghborhood in Vermont? What....The cows wear black leather jackets and smoke Lucky strikes? The deer eat not only your garden, but also knock over your garbage can and kick the trash all over the yard? :D