PDA

View Full Version : Uncas sold for $200,000!

rbgarr
12-15-2004, 03:01 PM
The Wall Street Journal had an article today about the sale of a five foot weathervane of Uncas that had been atop a Grange building in western NY. The deal included replacing the original with a $14k replica, but some folks in the town are up in arms about the sale and are taking the issue to court.

Meerkat
12-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Who, or what, is an uncas? :confused:

rbgarr
12-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Uncas is the sign-in name of one of the forum members and his boat, so I thought this bit of info would be interesting to post. The original Uncas was a character in James Fenimore Cooper's novel 'The Last of The Mohicans'. He was a Native American chief(?) of the Mohican tribe, and the weathervane was a profile of him atop an arrow.

uncas
12-15-2004, 03:26 PM
You got my attention!!!!!
I am not sure what was for sale under the name Uncas....Believe me...my woodie is not for sale.
I could not put her on a roof anyway and i doubt whther anyone else could..Nor would I ever sell him...Uncas is a part of me..Take a kidney but...
To answer your question...Uncas was the Last of the Mohicans...note spelling...could be with a "G'.
James Fenimore-Cooper....1789-1851. Am. Author.
Home residence...Cooperstown, NY.
Cheers...
jamj

[ 12-15-2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Willin'
12-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Not sure if there's a historical basis for Fenimore Cooper's character or not, but in Connecticut, on the western shore of the Thames river just North of Groton lies the town of Uncasville, at the western end of the Mohican(or is it Mohegan?)-Pequot bridge. Because of that I always assumed that Uncas was a real person.

[ 12-16-2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Willin' ]

uncas
12-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Willin...
As far as I know...there is no historical character for Uncas....Rumor, with some fact, has it, there is for Natty Bumppo....As I grew up with several generations of Coopers and have seen some of his letters, there is nothing I have heard or read to think otherwise.
I think if you drive through Uncasville...and I haven't in years, you will pass the sign indicating when the town was incorporated or founded...Believe it or not, I think the date of the town is after the book came out...
Certainly the Mohicans (Mohegans) were a huge tribe and were found throughout NY,MA, and CT.

huisjen
12-16-2004, 08:14 AM
Meerkat, look up the term "Cultural Illiteracy". :rolleyes: ;)

Dan

uncas
12-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Dan!
Cooper is the driest...most long winded writer..which made him somewhat popular in the 19th century.that I ever read growing up...Now that I am older...to give him credit, I enjoy his books a lot more than I did.... However...I can understand why Meerkat has not heard of the books.
If the movie had not come out five or six years ago....Starring some male heartthob, even fewer would know.
In six years, I may have had 10 people know who Uncas is....
People...students having to read the classics...any of the classics is fast disappearing. I now hear that comic books are the way to go and are being used in reading classes in the public schools. Perhaps they are the classic comic books. :D
I realize that Meerkat can take care of himself...just put in my two cents.

PS Cooper is more popular in Russia today than he is in the US. Ten years ago, there were even a series of Russian stamps portraying his characters.

imported_Steven Bauer
12-16-2004, 08:56 AM
I read those books in 8th and 9th grade, I think. I should take a look around the attic, I'm pretty sure I still have them.

Steven

ThomNC
12-16-2004, 09:14 AM
More on Uncas

The Reader's Companion to American History

UNCAS
(c. 1588-c. 1682), Mohegan Indian sachem. Uncas is probably more famous as a character in James Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans than as a real-life person. But he is significant in the context of seventeenth-century New England history.

Uncas was a member of the Mohegans, a splinter community of the Pequot Indians. He played a leading role in the Mohegan effort to avoid domination by the Pequot sachem Sassacus. The colonists, to be sure, encouraged such separatism, because a divided group of Indian nations naturally was to their advantage. At the same time, groups like the Mohegans seized upon the English presence as an opportunity to rid themselves of powerful Indian foes.

Uncas thus sided with the English in the bloody Pequot War of 1637. Indeed, he helped precipitate the conflict, realizing he would gain politically from its predictable outcome—the whites' victory. As part of the overall campaign, Uncas led seventy Mohegans and other Indians against Sassacus and his Pequot followers. (Sassacus lost only a few men in the battle, but soon thereafter he was killed in a clash with Mohawks.) The war destroyed the Pequots as a force in the region and transformed Uncas from a leader of a small band of dissidents to a commander of hundreds.

But a Pequot ally, the Narragansett sachem Miantonomi, then decided to fight Uncas, first obtaining formal English permission to do so. In the ensuing struggle, the Narragansett leader was captured by Mohegan forces. Members of his tribe offered a ransom of wampum if Miantonomi were handed over to the colonial authorities, who, they assumed, would release him. The authorities, however, concluded, as John Winthrop said, "that it would not be safe to set him at liberty, neither had we sufficient ground for us to put him to death."

Thom Joyce

uncas
12-16-2004, 09:22 AM
I stand corrected....Thanks for the history lesson on the Pequot wars of 1637-38...I guess JFCooper knew about him....afterall.

Bruce Hooke
12-16-2004, 04:38 PM
I heard recently that the Pequot War was, on a per capita basis, the bloodiest war in US History. I should note that I am not sure excactly how they figured the population of the "country" and how many of the Native Americans present in North America they included in the population base.

uncas
12-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Bruce...It may have been based on a percentage...not by population...Also, if you take into account the native americans killed...
I don't know and having read some of the material on the internet, no mention of losses were mentioned. on either side!