X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paladin
    Senior Senior Member
    • Dec 2000

cardinal Jaime Sin

MANILA, Philippines - Cardinal Jaime Sin, one of Asia's most prominent religious leaders and a key figure in the "people power" revolts that ousted two Philippine presidents, died Tuesday. He was 76

In the late 60's I was in the Philippines to sell off some property from Pampanga Province. I was also catching hell at the airport (I owned the only aviation facility there) about my P-51. Hank (Henry) Perez, head of the cAA at the time said he was being pressured by the marcos gov. to collect some very high taxes, retroactively, on private aircraft over 300 horsepower. licenses in the PI are based on max. hp ratings and commercial aviation licenses are a LOT tougher to get there. I had told them to stuff it, and decided to totally remove myself from the area. A little birdie told me they were gonna "confiscate" the aircraft for taxes.
    My last great act of defiance was to do a 'low level fly by" over the Malacanyang Palace grounds at MAYBE 350 feet and do a slow victory roll on the way over, then ran like holy hell at low altitude past Peter paul candy company on southern Luzon.
    I imagine the prop wash wuz rather horrible.
    i flew past Tawi Tawi to Sabah, North Borneo where I housed the bird for almost a year, then sold her.
    A year later I met with Scott Bird on bangkok who told me a funny story....
    that some idiot was being hunted by Marcos and had posted a reward. It seems that Mrs. Marcos was hosting a semi state dinnerluncheon on the palace lawn and Jaime Sin was in the middle of the prayer, when some idiot in a really noisy airplane buzzed the palace grounds blowing the crap out of the dinner/luncheon....
    I dunno think they ever found the guy or the plane...
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."
  • Chancie23
    Too Young to be a Senior
    • Sep 2004

Wonder if she dirtied her shoes.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Comment

• meerkat
      Senior Member #4667
      • Feb 2002

Surely she must have been wearing panties?
      If you don't think for yourself, someone else will do it for you!

Comment

• Chancie23
        Too Young to be a Senior
        • Sep 2004

Maybe a thong? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

• seafox
          • Feb 2001

when he was bishop his favorite joke about himself was that he would never become a carnal because the vadican would never admit a cardinal sin.

Comment

• paladinsfo
            Senior Senior Member
            • Dec 2000

Dave (Fleming)...
            I made a boo-boo.....when I try to do a e-mail reply it comes back...I dunno why...and I have always had problems with this keyboard...it's a old dell notebook.....
            I wasn't looking for a P-51...I sat in the cockpit of a D model and they couldn't close the canopy against my shoulders and had to hunch over to keep from banging my head. Two friends owned corsairs, one a P-40 b model, another a Zero....I was looking for the turtleback P-47 when I went to look at the tiger moths in Oz and found the B Mustang...there were L-39 and mig 15's available but dunno work on jets......The old recips izz more phunn.....i wuz real young and had more munny than the law allowed.....I either got smarter or turned just plain chikkin' over the years....also airplanes izz noisy and ya can't sleep in them.....
            Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
              Who?
              • Aug 1999

That is a brilliant story, Chuck. Mind if I pass it on to a couple of friends in PI?
              IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                Who?
                • Aug 1999

Just a story about the "People power" revolt that brought down Marcos and for which Sin got so much credit. I was at a dinner party about ten years ago with Gen. Arturo Enrile who was then head of the Armed Forces (during the Ramos presidency).

A chap there who worked for the ADB, knowing that Enrile had been the commander of the tank column advancing on Camp Crame, where Ramos was leading the revolt, asked why the tanks stopped - "what did it feel like to be confronted with people power?"

His reply was priceless, "We stopped because we were ordered to stop. We're the Army; we do what we're told!"

So much for "people power"!
                IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• paladinsfo
                  Senior Senior Member
                  • Dec 2000

go ahead Andrew..have fun...
                  on the down side..of what started the entire "scandal" with resident Americans at the time...
                  Someone apparently had taken a shot at marcos, and it was rumored that it was an American mercenary hired by the opposition, so evry american expatriot was targeted...
                  A friend of mine owned one of the largest night clubs, and one night a couple of Marcos Goons came in and started an argument over "payoffs" and one pulled out a pistol and shot him through the head..
                  About 50 yards from my house in Paranaque, Rizal, a man was pasting an opposition poster to a wall, and part of the goon squad walked up to him and shot him several times.....
                  I serviced Marcos personal aircraft, Imee, John Kenedy's old Aero Commander, and VEEP Lopez Beech Travel Air.....I was the only game in town at the time...I also had the contract to ferry over the O-2 aircraft for the Ravens in vietnam, and servica and install all the psy-ops equipment. They wanted a piece of the action...but of course they didn't know it was a spook enterprise. Things just got a bit too hot for comfort......
                  I had to deal with these folks on a weekly basis...and a gentleman by the name of Juan Ponce Enrile wasn't aany help. I was having dinner at the Amihan Rest. on Roxas Blvd the night the goon squad caame in and tried to assasinate Senator Laurel..I was sitting at the next table with his son, "Dodgie", with whom I had occasionally raced Formula V's with....I said something to Dodgie about 4 men that entered the club and one had a weapon exposed...and he alerted the Senators bodyguards...even then several folks were badly hurt in the crossfire.....
                  Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Comment

• Chancie23
                    Too Young to be a Senior
                    • Sep 2004

Paladin, remind me not to go anywhere with you.

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
                      Who?
                      • Aug 1999

Arturo Enrile was OK, I think. I agree about his cousin Juan Ponce Enrile - he bought a house next to a friend of mine whom you probably knew - Freddie Clemo - in Urdaneta, and his goons ruined the entire neighbourhood. Freddie was the US`Lines rep in the 50s and 60's then went on his own. Very pretty English wife - Janet - who is still a friend of ours. They both sailed - Dragons and a Lion Class.

Funnily enough I lived in Paranque before moving to Subic; which leads me to a silly airplane story. I could see my house from the port side of a civil aircraft lining up for final approach and some years later I was visiting the outlaws and had for some reason that I now forget chosen to fly China Southern.

It was about 21.00 as we arrived and since I was sitting on port I looked out to see my old house - cheap place to live for expats as it was built on reclaimed land where Marcos' goons had buried quite a few "targets" and the locals thought it was haunted.

No house. No land at all. Suddenly engines went to full power and round we went again - sure enough the combination of Filipino air traffic control English and Chinese pilot english had gotten us lined up on the Coast Road!
                      IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• paladinsfo
                        Senior Senior Member
                        • Dec 2000

Aw, Katherine...where's your sense of adventure...
                        obviously no pioneering spirit....
                        but then...I've either gotten older and wiser or just plain chikkin'.....
                        maybe a little of both......

Lotsa stories about those days, andrew...sorta like living in Dodge city in the 1880's except Colt automatics instead of single action six shooters....and jeeps (jeepneys) instead of horses.
                        ...and i betcha you were landing on runway 06-26....

[ 06-21-2005, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: paladin ]
                        Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Comment

• meerkat
                          Senior Member #4667
                          • Feb 2002

I thought one of the Kennedy brothers (John or Ted) was injured (broken back) in the crash of the Kennedy's Aero Commander during a Senate race back in the late 50's (John) or early 60's (Ted)?

Perhaps a different Aero Commander?
                          If you don't think for yourself, someone else will do it for you!

Comment

• paladinsfo
                            Senior Senior Member
                            • Dec 2000

No Idea.....if an aircraft is not totally destroyed it is usually rebuilt. I flew the bird from Japan to the P.I. for delivery just before Marcos took power from Diosdado Macapagal...another crook.....

[ 06-21-2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: paladin ]
                            Wakan Tanka Kici Un

Comment

• Chancie23
                              Too Young to be a Senior
                              • Sep 2004

Paladin, the problem is I do have a sense of adventure, but some days I'm stuck at the desk all day. Besides that, I have a healthy sense of self preservation. I'd like to keep my headattched and not put unintentional holes in my body. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...