PDA

View Full Version : Pride goeth before a fall

Tristan
11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
As a moderate health buff I am secretly (and sometimes not so secretly) proud of being fairly active at age 72 in spite of being a career asthmatic, a cancer survivor, etc. etc. Today I discovered that it's not good to be too proud. I was dragging the garden hose through a thick growth of shrubs surrounding a small fish pond, about a foot and a half deep, that I've drained and will be filling with dirt soon. I'd just stepped across a narrow part of the "dry" pond when I lost my balance and fell backwards, butt first, into the mud at the bottom of the damn pond. Mud which stinks from the remains of dead fish and rotting weed. As I lay there, jackknifed into the dam mud, I began to giggle like a jackass. Giggling and struggling out of the mud, I stepped onto one of the unstable stones capping the edge of the pond, and was catapulted forward toward a big (18" diameter) stump of a carrotwood tree that I'd cut down years before. A ROTTEN stump, as I discovered when I attempted to stop my forward motion by grabbing it and the damned stump broke off at the ground (all 18 inches of it) and toppled over. Fortunately only my pride was hurt. . :eek: :rolleyes: tongue.gif

[ 11-10-2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

Katherine
11-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Timber!!! :D

Joe (SoCal)
11-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I hope I can laugh over a spectacular trip and fall like yours when I'm 72. If ya can't laugh at yourself then it just aint worth living :D :D

Good un.

Meerkat
11-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Good thing it wasn't a banana peel that went before that fall - it could have been serious! ;)

Phillip Allen
11-11-2005, 07:23 AM
I did an old man, awkward type of stumble and fall while splitting firewood. Woulda been simple as I fell correctly but as I rolled in falling, toward my back, I bulls eyed the end of a four by four between my shoulder blades. It took the wind outa me but I eventually got over it (I'm 57 this month...fall was a month ago)

Iím glad ya wasna' hurtÖ

Harry Miller
11-11-2005, 09:07 AM
Just changed my mind about puttin' in a fish pond 'cause I don't want to fall in one 5 years from now.
Glad you're OK.