PDA

View Full Version : Boatbuilder Magazine

Bob Perkins
01-04-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi Everyone,

I got an ad in the mail today for Boatbuilder magazine. Anyone ever heard of these guys? What are your thoughts?
Boatbuilder (http://www.boatbuildermagazine.com/index.htm)

Thought I knew about most of the builder mags... This was a new one to me.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Smalser
01-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I took it for a year or so a while back.

Mostly technical stuff.

J. Dillon
01-04-2005, 11:03 PM
A good all round magazine dealing with any form of boatbuilding from concrete to steel. :D It's been around a long time but I've never seen it on a news stand. :(

JD

Tom Lathrop
01-05-2005, 12:31 AM
I'm a longtime subscriber and have enjoyed the magazine. In the past couple of years the editor has shifted from Keith Lawrence to (Dan?) Spurr to Andra Spurr to Roger Marshall. It now seems to have lost its course even though Roger is an accomplished designer and sailor. The new format and content seems dull and uninteresting. Unless it improves, I will drop my subscription.

ion barnes
01-05-2005, 02:56 AM
I subscribed for a couple of years, dropped it and picked it up agian for a year. Have not been impressed, too amaturist, poor b&w reproductions of colour photos, least that my interpetation, I much prefer Professional Boatbuilder mag, sister to WB. More technical.

lucky jack
01-05-2005, 06:14 AM
I didn't resubscribe. The quality of work being shown and espoused was not, shall we say, inspiring. I think it would be much more appropriate for the owner and builder of real fishing and work boats, rather than pleasure craft.

Bob Perkins
01-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info -
I got Professional Boatbuilder for a year. I liked it - But I like WoodenBoat the best..

Take Care,
Bob

Figment
01-05-2005, 11:59 AM
I agree that the content and photo quality is less than spectacular, but to compare to Professional Boatbuilder is to compare apples and oranges, I think.

I subscribe to Boatbuilder for the same reason that I subscribe to Good Old Boat: It's about real people and their real boats on real budgets. For me, that carries a value above a bunch of pretty photos.
IMHO, the boating commuinity could use a few more publications that dare to buck the tide of the spend-spend-SPENDGODDAMMIT!!! culture that pervades the likes of Yachting.

ion barnes
01-06-2005, 02:17 AM
I am not a spender but I will spend on quality, rather than spent $100 to save $10. Did I say that right? I just found myself griting my teeth, reading how someone ran around in circles. That been said, I built a JAM 8 kayak from the offsets provided and then some, and was very pleased. If I were to write of my project, I am sure it would sound just as flat. So, there I am, running in circles too!

Jess Potter
01-07-2005, 05:49 AM
Im with Bob P. I too subscribed for a year. It is ok but you just can't beat Woodenboat. Period. If you would like you could get me your address and I could send you the couple copies I have left. Jess

jdboat
01-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Have subscribed for several years. The format has recently changed as noted above. It has lost a lot of the informational content it once had I for one feel that its value to me as a boat builder has run its course.

Jim H
01-07-2005, 12:34 PM
When they changed the format, I think they dropped Dave Gerr as a columnist. His columns were the reason for my last subscrpition and I probably won't renew.

hikingchrs
01-07-2005, 04:59 PM
I just got the same offer yesterday, I wonder if wooden boat sold our name to them?

Hal Forsen
01-07-2005, 08:09 PM
I got it today. Coinkydink?
HF

Paulyboy
01-07-2005, 08:19 PM
I got it thru 2003 and noticed that like many mags they talk up the best this and the ultimate that and then deliver a 2 page article . How can you teach someone the best this or the most accurate that in 2000 words?

Bill Childs
01-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Back in April or May '04 I payed for 1 full year of advertisement in Boatbuilder magazine. Last month I got a letter stating that Boatbuilder had changed hands and that all advertisement would end Jan 1st '05 unless I could show documentation that I payed for more.
I won't be paying for any more advertisement in that magazine or subscribing.

seafox
01-09-2005, 10:02 PM
I much enjoyed boatbuilder for many years( through most of the 90s) gerrs colume was the one always redeaming facter if nothing else in the magizine was any use alas I have let all mag subscritions run out because of money shortage
jeff

Skiff Junkie
01-10-2005, 11:02 AM
I've subscribed for 3 or 4 years and have about a dozen issues to show for it. If they're sending them, I'm surely not getting them. Will probably not renew again.

Russell Sova
01-14-2005, 09:53 AM
I wrote an article for them back in the late 90's. You can get an article printed in there and help fund your project.

Paulyboy
01-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by seafox:
gerrs colume was the one always redeaming facter
jeffuhhhhh-try again? Whut in da hail is "gerrs colume"?