PDA

View Full Version : UK Wooden Boat tv show

Jonathan Kabak
10-01-2001, 10:21 AM
So luck has it that I am living in Oxford for the year and studying at Magdalen College. As I was going through the channels on the tv the British Discovery channel had a show all about wooden boat building (eat your heart out Norm Abrams). I knew I would like it on this side of the pond. I think the show was titled Dreamboat and today they were working on a plywood open rowing/sailing skiff. Now how come we don't have stuff like this on back home?

Happy in Oxford

Jonathan

martin schulz
10-01-2001, 11:15 AM
well Jonathan,

be happy as long as you can. Later on you will also discover strange shows about gardens or interior decoration (they just love it in the UK). Then you will probably be forced to consume thin warm beer (of course only til 10pm) or you have to face the horror of greasy fish together with the unholy mixture of thick chips (french fries) with salt and vinnegar.

Have fun :)
Martin

Alan D. Hyde
10-01-2001, 11:46 AM
Jonathon-------

Likely you've already tried the KA (King's Arms) and the Turf. I recommend a walk up to the Trout.

And by all means join your college's football (soccer in the States) side.

The execise this furnishes will help keep the Scotch Eggs, Pork Pie, Steak & Onion Pie, etc., which you occasionally consume with your beer, from having a bad effect on your fitness.

Oh, and don't neglect to join the OUS and go to all the debates. Learning from interaction with other people is what Oxford's all about. Heavy reading is best left for the breaks between terms.

If Ducker & Son still measure feet and make boots to fit, it's worth considering. Mine (with some new heels and soles here and there) made it from '70-71 through the late '80s.

Go through the Michaelmas lecture list from front to back. Early on, go to every lecture that looks like it might be even remotely of interest to you. If you're not sure, give the lecturer a second chance. You can later prune out the ones that are a waste of your time.

There's a lot of nonsense at Oxford, but also a lot of opportunity. It's up to you to sort through the oysters and find the pearls. They are there. Good hunting.

Alan

P.S. When writing your weekly essays for your tutor, it is always sporting to search out and use properly a word he'll have to look up in the dictionary. When writing your essay, it's also good to find and cite some ancient source, with whom your tutor is unfamiliar.

Do not be awed by your intellectual betters.
The tools are at hand to pry yourself upward. It does not require special gifts, just effort and determination. Do what you can to make yourself their equal. Unless you are unusually self-confident, you may be surprised by what you can accomplish.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Alan D. Hyde (edited 10-01-2001).]

Mrleft8
07-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Nice place Oxford.... Look up a bakery called "Berry's" Get the "blue loaf" if they're still in business.... Also their apple tarts are superb!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
07-10-2003, 02:51 AM
Hie thee down to your College Boathouse and get rowing! Amazingly good equipment and all levels of ability welcome. You may find that all Americans are assumed to be of Olympic standard, but if you are not, just gently disabuse them of the notion and you will still be welcome. It really is an opportunity not to be missed.

(And, should you wish to visit an actual University whilst in Britain, Cambridge is not that far away....!) ;)

Paddy
07-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Welcome Jonathan - hope you have a great time - Here's a link that you may find useful. PD

Paddy
07-10-2003, 03:55 AM
Let's try again!

http://www.oxfordrestaurantguide.co.uk/oxford/restaurants/

Mrleft8
07-10-2003, 07:06 AM
And there's a lovely (if a bit pricey) pub nearby called "The Trout", Right on the Thames...

B_B
07-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Jonathan Kabak:
British Discovery channel had a show all about wooden boat building (eat your heart out Norm Abrams). ... Now how come we don't have stuff like this on back home?

Happy in Oxford

JonathanActually I recall that about four or five years ago Norm and his friend Steve built little plywood dinghies and sailed them around his pond (or rather Steve sailed, I guess Norm exceeded the tonnage limitations :D ). I have always wanted to send away for a taped copy of the show, just to see what it was really about or if my memory is doing bad things to me again. ;) .

Here's to more reality t.v. shows that are actually useful and informing - maybe WoodenBoat should start up a show for the Outdoor network or something - they could videotape their summer courses and then present them once a week or so over the winter. Would need nothing more than a few guys with cameras, prodution co-ordinators, grips, gripes.....never mind :D