PDA

View Full Version : Win2k

Victor
03-08-2005, 09:50 AM
I was using Win95A, the very first version, but am now on Win2kSP4, mainly because it was free and I was curious. Certainly better than 98, ME, NT, or XP, that's for sure, but it has an annoying habit of inserting stuff in the Start Menu from somewhere out in space. Where are these items coming from? Not the registry or the .inf files.

High C
03-08-2005, 09:52 AM
Spyware or Trojans

Bruce Hooke
03-08-2005, 09:52 AM
What sort of stuff is getting inserted?

Victor
03-08-2005, 10:20 AM
I was accustomed to the logic of the original version. Now everything's scattered hither and yon, trying to make it look like it's better - like putting new fenders on a car and assuming everyone will think it's better underneath. Maybe it is, I don't know, but the only real issue with 95A was its instability, which Microsoft quietly fixed after stopping its support for that version. Maybe 95A wasn't good enough for some things, but it's certainly good enough for your basic standalone internet, email, and word processing/spreadsheet stuff. In 95A everything on the start menu was in a folder called "Start Menu". All the cookies were in a folder called "Cookies". Now it's like an Easter egg hunt looking for where stuff is coming from. There are things on the Start Menu I don't want and can't remove. I searched all over the registry and the folders, don't know where else to look. Maybe dlls are doing it, and it's not a good idea to remove them.

[ 03-08-2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Victor ]

High C
03-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Victor, I think I may understand what you're seeing. There are several users in the newer versions of Windows, not just the one.

Look here: C:\Documents and Settings (assuming C:\ is your OS drive)

Each of the subfolders you see there is a seperate user. There is a "Start Menu" subfolder under each user. Why so many? :confused: I dunno. redface.gif

When you install programs, their shortcuts can end up in different user folders, for some reason. The start menu you see when you press the start button shows ALL of those user's start menus combined into one.

Hope that helps you trace your problem.

Bruce Hooke
03-08-2005, 10:42 AM
If High C is heading in the right direction then what this is about is allowing different people using the same computer to have different desktops and start menus. For home computers shared between multiple people this can be a very useful feature. What can get a bit confusing is that there is also a default/admin user and some changes get made at that level.

Before you get too bent out of shape you may want to try out the new arrangement. For example, when I switched to XP (because I needed software that was no longer available for 98SE) I was rather miffed by the short list of frequently used programs that you see first when you click on the Start Menu. However, after a little use I've found that it is quite helpful. On the other hand, I turned off Microsoft's wizard-type system that was designed to help people get around the Control Panel and returned to the basic folder list Control Panel because I don't need Microsoft's "help" there.

Victor
03-08-2005, 11:17 AM
There they are! Thanks High, you were spot on! Two Start Menu folders.

[ 03-08-2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Victor ]