PDA

View Full Version : USA...Riding for a fall

Norske3
12-07-2004, 06:30 PM
web page (http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20040901faessay83510/peter-g-peterson/riding-for-a-fall.html)

LeeG
12-07-2004, 06:40 PM
I'm not old enough to know about the fear communism held for the US but TERRORISM seems to be more open ended and ripe for motivating people.

High C
12-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Yes, it's time for the world's newest superpower, the EU, to step up and share the burden.

I wonder how the EU would respond if the US withdrew from the stage of world security?

Wild Wassa
12-07-2004, 06:52 PM
Do it! and relieve the world of the burden of the US's dictatorship. High C, are you suggesting for the US more of a bunker mentality? ... if so go for it Mate.

Some have a jumped up impression of the US's roll ... but it only seems to be some in the US.

Have a good Xmas.

Warren.

Victor
12-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Roman Empire: 1200 years
British Empire: 150 years
American Empire: 4-1/2 years

(Sigh)

LeeG
12-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Victor,,just winging it here,,I wonder if the idea of an empire with a wild frontier outside it's borders doesn't fit anymore.

I think we're good for another couple generations as a hyperpower but it'll be an odd position when other "lesser" countries have higher standards of living.

Meerkat
12-07-2004, 08:54 PM
I give us a decade, max. There are already signs of retrenchment.

Victor
12-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Is it true that China's GNP is alamost as big as ours? I find that hard to believe. I think ten years from now we'll find Europe and China/Japan have just as much financial and military power as we do, and will take much less account of us in their actions. They may even take actions against us, especially in the economic sphere, to which we are much more vulnerable than we care to admit. We'll still be a power, yes, but a hyperpower? We really don't have anything anymore that Europe or China/Japan couldn't provide for themselves. Next time our President DEMANDS their acquiescence they'll just laugh in his face.

[ 12-07-2004, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: Victor ]

Andrew Craig-Bennett
12-08-2004, 02:11 AM
They already did; China rejected US demands torevalue the RMB in the summer

martin schulz
12-08-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by High C:
I wonder how the EU would respond if the US withdrew from the stage of world security?What do you mean, like in Afghanistan or like in Iraque?

shamus
12-08-2004, 03:15 AM
It's sometimes illuminating to think in terms of goods rather than dollars when thinking of international trade flows. A desire to depreciate a currency to improve competitiveness adds up to saying "We'd like to send you more stuff than we used to in return for the stuff you send us". Similarly, sending dollars instead of goods is a promise to provide goods sometime in the future.

Oyvind Snibsoer
12-09-2004, 05:09 AM
If China is able to sustain its current rate of growth, it will overtake the US as the world's largest economy within 10 years.

High C
12-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by martin schulz:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by High C:
I wonder how the EU would respond if the US withdrew from the stage of world security?What do you mean, like in Afghanistan or like in Iraque?</font>[/QUOTE]I was thinking Germany and the rest of Europe.