PDA

View Full Version : The Ramones

Memphis Mike
05-01-2005, 09:01 AM
A documentary on The Ramones was on PBS late last night. I sort of slept through the ending, but it was fascinating. I've never known much about them except that they were a cult band out of the era of Pattie Smith. Watching them perform was mesmerizing to me, and they just had a sort of raw energy.

They didn't come across as the sharpest tacks in the bulletin board during the interviews, but that just made it all the more interesting. Anyone ever see these guys live? They played CBGB's in New York a lot.

-Sue

yorgie
05-01-2005, 09:25 AM
And then there was one.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
05-01-2005, 10:00 AM
I saw them in Cleveland at the old Agora before it burned down. They were awesome as I remember but the whole event is kinda fuzzy. :D

http://i.rollingstone.com/assets/rs/9/261/images/00298192_lg.jpg

Ross M
05-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Gabba Gabba Hey!

Great band, anyhow. And Patti Smith - I'm Dancing Barefoot is one of the all time greats, in my mind...

Ross

Memphis Mike
05-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Yorgie, are they all dead but one? If so, that's sad. I knew several of them were dead, but didn't know it was that many.

-Sue

Memphis Mike
05-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Ross, Patti Smith performed live at The Boarding House when I worked there in SF in the mid to late 70's. We thought she was gross, because she would hold one nostril and blow snot out of the other one onto the stage during her act.

We were young and hip, but punk was new and just making its appearance in San Francisco. I'll never forget J. Paul Getty Jr., the one with the cut off ear, was traveling with her at that time. I couldn't help but try to get a look at his ear, but he turned around and caught me at it and I had to quickly pretend to be about something else. I'm sure he was used to it at that point.

Patti Smith was a certified trip, and the snot blowing thing wasn't spontaneous, she did it every show. It was definitely something new and different though, and the whole style of raunchy singing and playing was off the charts. Up to that point, The Tubes were the wildest thing I'd seen on stage.

-Sue

05-01-2005, 10:22 AM
I still have an original copy of her first album "Horses". She beat even the Ramones by becoming the first of the CBGB crowd to record.

http://www.perfectpeople.net/media/celebs/865/79817-1032848121.jpg

I saw her as a warm up act for Lou Reed.

[ 05-01-2005, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Know It All ]

Memphis Mike
05-01-2005, 10:28 AM
MKIA, I'm so envious that you got to see Lou Reed! And the Ramones must have been an experience, even if its a vague memory for ya! smile.gif

Our minds weren't always alert back in those days, were they? :D

-Sue

05-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I saw Lou Reed a few times. First time was in 1973 at The Allen Theater in Cleveland. Rock and Roll Animal Tour. Hall and Oats was the warm up act. I was 15 and one of those rebel hippy types with long hair. ;)

Memphis Mike
05-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Hall and Oates played the BH, too, and I thought they were great. Someone listed them in the annoying songs thread, and I just remember them being a great show and nice guys.

-Sue

I found a short blurb about Patti Smith's tour at that time:

The Bottom Line
15 W. 4th St., NYC

Where Patti gave seven famous sold-out shows in late December 1976. Here's what the New York Times said at that time, in anticipation of the event:

"Recently returned from SRO gigs at the Roxy in Los Angeles and the Boarding House in San Francisco, Patti plays New York's ultimate rock emporium, The Bottom Line, on December 26-28, days before her 29th birthday. It's all rolling in fast now, and her cult followers from the old days wonder, Will Patti be a star? while her new fans wonder, Just who is this tough little chick?"

-Sue

[ 05-01-2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

05-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Speaking of The Tubes. :D

Finally saw them last summer in a local bar here in Lorain,Ohio of all places.

A friend of mine owns the bar and saved me a table RIGHT NEXT TO THE STAGE!!!! :eek:

It was an event to say the least. :cool:

Memphis Mike
05-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Good gosh, you mean they're still around? Amazing. Fee Waybill has got to be getting too old to wear the spandex pants with the fake dong (for lack of a better word)running down the inside of the pant's leg and the platform shoes.

Please tell me they don't still have the blow up nurse doll in the finale????? :eek: tongue.gif

-Sue

"White Punks on Dope" - Classic!

[ 05-01-2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Ross M
05-01-2005, 10:54 AM
I dunno about the snot thing, but I do know there was some great vinyl produced by all mentioned so far!

Ross

05-01-2005, 12:40 PM
Fee hasn't aged a bit. ;)
The other members have aged some but all were great musicly.
I couldn't get over how tall Fee was. :eek:
I can't wait to tell Dawn.........."The Dong is Fake!". :D

Meerkat
05-01-2005, 02:56 PM
One wonders how MM knows the dong is fake... ;)

imported_Daniel
05-01-2005, 03:34 PM
I saw the Ramones here way back when, I think I was in grade 10 at the time. Mr KIA, I would loved to have seen Lou during the Rock & Roll Animal tour, he is still one of my favourite artists, always surprising, always honest and never dull.

Memphis Mike
05-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Meerkat:
One wonders how MM knows the dong is fake... ;) It's not MM, Meer. It's Sue. The Tubes did 2 shows a night at the Boarding House for several nights running, just like all the bands.

It was fake, and it was way too obvious, but it was a sight gag, and as such was very effective.
It was ridiculously large. :eek:

Their whole performance was intended to shock and titillate, mostly in a humorous way. One of their songs was titled "Mondo Bondage" if that gives you any inkling.

-Sue

High C
05-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I saw the Neville Brothers today, and heard a bit of Isaac Hayes' set. Ahh, what a day.

They say that Shaft is a bad muttha shut yo' mouth! :D

Katherine
05-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Issac Hayes as he appears to my generation.

http://www.ollit.ndo.co.uk/epiimgs/epi209/sp209_fudge_vdth.gif

High C
05-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Katherine:
Issac Hayes as he appears to my generation.

http://www.ollit.ndo.co.uk/epiimgs/epi209/sp209_fudge_vdth.gifOoohhh, Katherine, shut yo' mouth! :D