PDA

View Full Version : Folkboat Restoration

Norske3
08-23-2005, 04:24 PM
web page (http://www.woodwindyachts.com/Restorations/Tjockis/tjockis.htm)

gert
08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
:cool:
very very nice

Ethan
08-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Very :cool:

A side note...Woodwind yachts was one of the first web pages I came across when I first began researching this addiction. I always remembered them because of Ken Lavalette's (to me) funny "contact" page where he explains his feelings regarding email.

ahp
08-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Wouldn't have been easier to build a new one? Save the keel casting, and weigh it while you are about it.

pcford
08-23-2005, 09:03 PM
Neat site. Impressive work. Really gives a person an idea what is involved in good and thorough restoration.

More than once a boat has come into the shop with the owner asking for a refinish and rolled out as a rebuild.

I'm thinking of one that was 85% new wood by the time it rolled out the door. All new planks, new deck planks and framing. (Deck had been altered. Had to get plans from Mariners) All bottom framing, transom framing and planking, backbone except stem, new dashboard. Parts of shelves. New gauges. Engine rebuilt. (twice, the first time it blew up....block was not Magnafluxed) Let's see is that it? Maybe it would be easier to say that the boat had the original engine stringers, and 2/3rds of side framing, and stem.

Dan Hobson
08-24-2005, 12:20 AM
I've never seen a prettier job!! Bravo! Bravisimo! The cost saving over building a new boat is substantial I hear.

pcford
08-24-2005, 12:39 AM
I've never seen a prettier job!! Bravo! Bravisimo! The cost saving over building a new boat is substantial I hear. Good point. I've been doing restorations a long time and I really don't know if that is true. Hmmm. I would not be surprised if it might be cheaper to build anew in some cases. Certainly the old-timers had things jigged up and parts cut so that a runabout (say) could be built in a few hours.

And then there is the old saying, "If you can't afford to _build_ it, you can't afford to _rebuild_ it."

htom
08-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Supurb.

JimD
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Absolutely beautiful!

Norske3
08-24-2005, 06:07 PM
YES...EXCELLENT photography. smile.gif

kng
08-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Very nice !! wonderfull job !! I love the folkboats !! I wasn´t sure about the blue, but in the last image she looks beautyful !!
cheers from Argentina.
Emiliano.

kng
08-25-2005, 10:04 AM
me again... Norske if Im not asking too much, and only if you can and want, would you like to share the pattern of the winch blocks you have used, I would like to make something like that in my Grey Seal.... well If it is possible I will aprecciate...
thank you very much !!
Emiliano.

Norske3
08-25-2005, 01:05 PM
KNG.....this is not my boat...or are you thinking of something else....you are confusing me with someone else.

kng
08-26-2005, 09:33 AM
sorry I think you were the builder... thanks anyway..
Emiliano.