PDA

View Full Version : Large shark caught

Stiletto
10-20-2005, 04:21 PM
20/10/2005NewstalkZBA 4.8 metre long great white shark has been caught off the Waikato coast.

Fisherman Aaron Leboray says the shark was pulled in by a commercial fishing boat and weighed in at a tonne-and-a-half.

He says an autopsy is currently being carried out on the female shark at Raglan Wharf, and it is suspected it may have been pregnant. Mr Leboray says the shark was half-drowned when the fisherman caught it late yesterday evening.

Meanwhile, some of the world's best surfers will not be letting a little thing like a one-tonne shark stop them from surfing at Raglan tomorrow.

Andy Irons, Sunny Garcia, Joel Parkinson and Mark Occhilupo are surfing against four of New Zealand's best surfers in the Vodafone Surf Sessions.

Surfing New Zealand spokesman Ben Kennings visited Raglan Wharf this morning to see the shark and says it is definitely massive, but he says the surfers will have seen sharks before and will not let this catch hold them back.

He says perhaps it is fortunate surfers do not have x-ray vision, so cannot see what is underneath them.

Mr Kennings says the event will definitely go ahead tomorrow.

This shark was found to have a fully grown fur seal whole inside it, apparently swallowed head first. :eek:

PeterSibley
10-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Another one down...pretty sure there will be none left.They're frightening ,true ,but imagine a world without them :( :(

[ 10-20-2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: PeterSibley ]

dmede
10-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by PeterSibley:
Anotherone down...pretty sure there will be nne left.They're frightening ,true ,but imagine a world without them :( :( I picture a world without them everytime I go in the water :D

brad9798
10-20-2005, 04:47 PM
They are beautiful creatures ... stunning in their design, etc. Near perfect.

A shame to kill it.

Bob Cleek
10-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Yep, a great white just nailed a girl surfing in my neighborhood off Bolinas yesterday. Years ago, I was out there with a surfer buddy of mine and I told him I wouldn't go out there. What you have is a creek and estero emptying into the ocean with a nice bar. Great for surf, but the seals hang out there to nail the salmon. Always seals on the Bolinas bar. Surfer with arms and legs hanging off the board looks like a seal to a shark looking up from below. Fortunately, the shark got a good mouthful of board along with her leg. She had a bite from the thigh to the calf. Missed her femoral artery by about a half inch. Other surfers brought her in and it looks like she will make it okay. I don't think she'll be wearing any short skirts for the rest of her days, though.

mbogo
10-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Sharks are an interesting catch-22. They are the coolest creatures in the ocean, esp the Great Whites. On the other hand, we are fairly insignificant to a perfect predator. Well worth watching (from a distance).

I have heard of lots of ocean sailors swimming near/behind their boat (Moitessier comes to mind). Given all the interesting marine life that follows boats and other floating stuff, is this a wise idea? I've heard of too many sharks following life rafts and the like for me to jump in the ocean and drag behind my boat like he did. Anyone else have a habit of swimming while cruising the deep blue?

Phillip Allen
10-21-2005, 11:46 AM
there is certinly something spooky about hovering several miles above the abyss

Hal Forsen
10-21-2005, 12:08 PM
Some photos from a recent fishing excursion to Guadalupe Island.
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/photos/uploads/104795/IMGP0910.JPG

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/photos/uploads/104795/IMGP1086.JPG

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/photos/uploads/104795/IMGP1091.JPG

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/photos/uploads/104795/Picture_005.jpg

The sharks are a given down there and it often boils down to whether you can wind your tuna or yellowtail in before the taxman sees it.
On this trip there were 2 large white sharks pestering us. The pictures are of the smaller of the two. On our second morning a couple 30lb. YFT were landed and as soon as they hosed off the deck these bruisers showed up. At one point the smaller shark jumped completely out of the water right next to the boat.
I never got a decent shot of the big one but it looked like Bruce from Jaws. I've been all over the Pacific, on all kinds of boats and it was most assuredly the largest toothy I've ever seen.
Truly Awesome creatures.
HF

Stiletto
10-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Yep, they get big alright, a ton and a half is a bloody big fish! the fur seal in the one I mentioned was later weighed and came out at 90kg or nearly 200 pounds.

Figment
10-21-2005, 05:52 PM
That last pic is phenomenal!!!
It could be a watercolor painting.

joejapan
10-21-2005, 06:18 PM
" We're gonna' need a bigger boat ! "

bamamick
10-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Just got through reading 'Devil's Teeth' about the White shark population near the Farallon Islands in California. Very interesting stuff.

More and more I keep thinking that I need to do something to help the environment and more and more I keep feeling as if an individual's contribution is trivial.

Drove to the top of Mt.Cheaha here in Alabama a couple of days ago, just to get away from things. Hiked a little, sat on a rock ledge and just listened to the wind. Watched the hawks and vultures circling overhead. No outside noise at all. Just what the doctor ordered. Then I got back in the 18mpg Jeep and drove the five hours home, to my job in a chemical plant.

We are a conflicted society. Even those of us who proclaim a 'green' agenda use chemicals every single day of our lives. Can't be avoided. I am pretty sure that we would all starve to death if we all depended on 'natural' farms for our sustenance.

Oh well. Too bad about the shark. Too bad about a lot of things.

Mickey Lake