PDA

View Full Version : Fighting AIDS Bush-style.

Meerkat
07-08-2005, 10:30 PM
And save money too!: make the terms to get the money so odious that no one will take it and, if they do, it won't have any real effect.

Katherine
07-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Meer, you hopeless cynic you. :D

Meerkat
07-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Alas, I'm serious. Beyond abstainance, the US is now requiring aid recpients to not help sex workers (prostitutes).
Government places new restrictions on AIDS funding (http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/07/08/aids.prostitution.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest)

Not to mention this little establishment of religion:

Another requirement is that the federal government must now give equal opportunity to funding applicants that have "a religious or moral objection" to a particular AIDS prevention method or treatment program, such as condoms or needle exchanges.

Katherine
07-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Wasn't this already brought up in the condom thread?

BrianW
07-09-2005, 04:55 AM
Beyond abstainance, the US is now requiring aid recpients to not help sex workersThe article in no way says that. If anyone takes the time to read the article you linked to, they will clearly NOT read what you claim.

Your hatred of the current adminstration has either clouded your mind or your willing to make stuff up and try and pass it off here as fact.

This is typical political rhetoric. Make up stuff that sounds close to the truth, and hope nobody really checks it out and finds out the truth.

Mrleft8
07-09-2005, 07:47 AM
your willing to make stuff up and try and pass it off here as fact.

This is typical political rhetoric. Make up stuff that sounds close to the truth, and hope nobody really checks it out and finds out the truth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmm..... If true, could he have learned this strategy from another source? Another source like.....Oh let's say.... THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION? :D

Crusoe
07-09-2005, 07:51 AM
Mrleft8 I think you actually meant:

THE ROVE ADMINISTRATION? :D

Mrleft8
07-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Crusoe:
Mrleft8 I think you actually meant:

THE ROVE ADMINISTRATION? :D Oh... Sorry! Yer right! My mistake! :D

High C
07-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Doug, what about those tires!?

Mrleft8
07-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Tires?

High C
07-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Mrleft8:
Tires?What were the tires you put on your GTI that you liked so?

Mrleft8
07-09-2005, 08:47 AM
AH! Gotcha! (My mind gets crossthreaded occasionally! :D ) For the GTI I got Vredestien (SP) low profile jobbies. On the Honda CRX I just put on some Toyos that seem to work nicely, but they'll occasionally go soft for no apparent reason. I had Goodyear Eagles on a pick up once too. They were good tires, but a little soft for pick up type driving... I bet they'd be great on a VW though.

[ 07-09-2005, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Mrleft8 ]

High C
07-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Thanks, I've not heard of Vredestiens, but I'll do some homework on those. I can't wait to replace the stock Goodyear Eagles on my TDI. They're great on dry pavement, but pretty sloppy when it's wet. The ESP stability control comes on way too often!

[ 07-09-2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: High C ]

Crusoe
07-09-2005, 09:08 AM
If you keep pimpin' your rides you'll probably need some condoms sooner or later.

Just say NO :D

ljb5
07-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by BrianW:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Beyond abstainance, the US is now requiring aid recpients to not help sex workersThe article in no way says that. If anyone takes the time to read the article you linked to, they will clearly NOT read what you claim.</font>[/QUOTE]Actually, Brian, I read it, and that's pretty much what it says.

[Coburn] specifically criticized USAID for funding Olson's group, which has programs aimed at educating prostitutes...The policy says that AIDS groups must sign a pledge to oppose prostitution...which seems pretty obvious.

As with everything in this administration, there is a difference between how the policy is written and how it is applied.

It's possible to oppose prostitution, yet still try to help the prostitutes...

but not in the mind of the neoconservative, who thinks that educating prostitutes is that same as encouraging prostitution. The end result: if you help a prostitute, they'll try to take the money away.

(By the way, Tom Coburn, is the Republican from Oklahoma who illegally sterilized a young woman, without her consent, and improperly billed Medicaid for the procedure... It's nice that he's suddenly discovered morality.)

[ 07-09-2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: ljb5 ]

BrianW
07-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Apperently you fall into the same category as Meerkat, and you only quote part of the article. Here's the paragraph...

The rule now affects private U.S. groups conducting AIDS programs overseas. If a group is looking for a federal grant or contract, it must first adopt a statement saying it opposes prostitution and sex trafficking. Then it must sign a form for the government promising it has the policy. Only then is the organization eligible for funding.There's absolutlely nothing there that says those groups can't give aid to prostitutes. Most those groups already denouce prostitution anyhow, and who here is for sex trafficing?

As with everything in this administration, there is a difference between how the policy is written and how it is applied.What a convient generalization without any proof.

It's clear by the replies on this thread that if you need to lie about Bush to make him look bad, that this group is okay with that. Then they'll try and change the subject before more folks notice.

Wild Wassa
07-09-2005, 12:28 PM
"What a convient generalization without any proof."

I thought this was about aids funding not about Iraq.

Warren.

Meerkat
07-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by High C:
The ESP stability control comes on way too often!Probably due to unstable driver! tongue.gif :D :D :D :D

Crusoe
07-09-2005, 01:13 PM
BriaW.
"It must first adopt a statement saying it opposes prostitution and sex trafficking"

Is in it's self a gross generalisation, any organisation signing such statement must surely know that it will have it's funding removed for the flimsiest of reasons if it disagrees in any way with the administration, say, on abstinance only education.

You trust them far too much.

BrianW
07-09-2005, 01:43 PM
You guys amaze me sometimes. As long as it's anti-Bush, you accept being lied too.

Meerkat
07-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Equally amazing is how naive some people are!

This president, and his cronies, are not on the side of the American people, no matter how impassioned his rhetoric or how much he wraps himself in the flag. Contrary to his words, his agenda is do disenfranchise people, not empower them.

ljb5
07-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Brian, did you read to the end of the article?

Did you get to the point where Tom Coburn was attempting to use this policy to remove funding from a group?

It's not about how the policy is worded. It's about how the policy is enacted.

If it were as simple as signing a pledge, what would be the point? Pledges are meaningless. They do not cure disease. They are nothing more than words.

The only thing a pledge is possibly good for is faulting someone if it is violated -- in this case, taking money away from a group.

Crusoe
07-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Brian, the words "lied to" and "Bush" do go together in the same sentence.

Just not the way you structured it.. :D

BrianW
07-09-2005, 04:35 PM
This president, and his cronies, are not on the side of the American people,Do you realize how stupid that sounds? With that attitude as a reference point, it's hard to tell when your telling the truth or spreading untrue rumors. In this case, you're doing the later, and it was so obvious your fellow liberals had to come in and try and distort the facts.

The facts are in black and white, the rest you guys make up at will...

Crusoe
07-09-2005, 04:56 PM
You know Nixon lied.
You know Reagan lied.
You know Clinton lied.
You know Papa Bush lied.

What is it about Baby Bush and his administration that so blinds you to the realities of this governments agenda, it's blatant misrepresentations of the truth and it's distructive nature?

BrianW
07-09-2005, 05:14 PM
I've never stated that Bush hasn't lied. He's a politician, therefore he is not to be trusted completely. And now, I can say the same thing about Meerkat, his political rhetoric is not to be trusted at face value, but must be verified.

Notice how much you've changed the subject, in order to protect a fellow liberal?

ljb5
07-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Brian,

Let's look at the facts:

</font> The policy exists</font> Republicans are citing the policy in an attempt to stop funding to some groups</font>Duh? Duh.
It's as if you have a congenital disability to see that which is plainly in front of you.
And what are you talking about, 'protecting a fellow liberal'? This thread isn't about liberals. It's about Bush and his stupid ideas which will probably prevent aid workers from contacting prostitutes, thereby doing more harm than good.

[ 07-09-2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: ljb5 ]

High C
07-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Brian, don't take the bait. It's a troll. It's unworthy. It argues strawmen and things you haven't said. It's nonsense. Ignore... :cool:

Paul Girouard
07-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Brian, High is right . These guys are more sold out than Bill & Hillary , at least with the later you knew it was / is all about them and their legacy / well being. Meer and his bubba's are really sold out , talk about selling your soul :eek: :eek: they have to the DNC , let it go . They're so over the top who would believe anything political they say :rolleyes: :rolleyes: HTBH (sort of) ;) PEG

ljb5
07-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Wow, look at how far these two will go to change the subject.

What's the matter? You have a hard time discussing Bush's policy?

BrianW
07-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Let's look at the facts:

* The policy exists...and it's written in fairly plain English. All else is speculation and not fact. The twist by Meerkat was a deliberate attempt to mislead anyone who reads his rhetoric.

ljb5
07-09-2005, 10:18 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Let's look at the facts:

* The policy exists...and it's written in fairly plain English. All else is speculation and not fact. The twist by Meerkat was a deliberate attempt to mislead anyone who reads his rhetoric.</font>[/QUOTE]'Twasn't Meerkat who twisted it. 'Twas Tom Coburn.

Didn't you read that part? Pointed it out to you a couple of times. Thought you could read.

BrianW
07-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Yep, they're trolling. Sad...

[ 07-10-2005, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: BrianW ]