View Full Version : Chincoteaque Va.

Memphis Mike
12-14-2002, 05:37 PM
Some of you know that when Sue gets out of
Art School, we plan to leave Memphis and try
to relocate to the East Coast.

Since We've been to Chincoteaque before and
I have property in my family there, we are
looking at a move there as a possibilty.

We'd like to hear some feedback on that area
and any other areas in the Chesapeake Bay
Region as alternatives.

On Vacation
12-15-2002, 07:07 AM
Rick, I would welcome all the bugs one can put into an area to living in Chincoteague Va. If one worries about the good ole boy mentality that might exist in many of the big cities in the south, one had better be prepared to swallow grapefruits in one big gulp in Chincoteague, Va.

Wallops Island is a high tech government Nasa and airospace type facility that needed the space to do the things it does for the industry. If you have any money in Chincoteague, you had better carry it with you. Carve ducks cheaper than the other guy .

One road to hell the "Offs" call it, Hwy 13 that is. Did I fail to mention the chicken industry holds hostage the working class on the strip of land known only to the local people before a group of school kids went to Richmond on a field trip back in 1992? They found out that looking at a map in the capital building, the strip of land wasn't even on the state map there.

Be prepared to kill your food for the winter, cause thats all you will have in the second year there is you don't carry about 200,000 dollars with you the first year. Buy a new car because an old one will wear out if it is five years old the first year with putting about 20,000 miles on it driving just to the grocery store. If you wish to drive to Norfolk, it will cost you at the least 70 dollars, gas, food and tolls and a full day. Full day to Washington and 300 miles. Other than these few issues, it is beautiful for an artist. Just paint cheaper than the next guy moving in tommorrow.

Memphis Mike
12-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks RK. As I said, we already have
obtainable property there one block
from the bay. The house would need some
work in order to change it from a
vacation home into a year round residence.
I guess my major concern is one of
employment.

Don W
12-15-2002, 12:25 PM
As far as employment, it's a bit of a ride but Virginia Beach/Newport News and the Slower Lower Delaware area -Rehobeth, Lewes, Ocean City MD, Salisbury MD are all reachable. I have family in Slower Lower Delaware and they tell me the area is growing all the time. Don

Chris Coose
12-15-2002, 12:46 PM
MM,
Make the summer house year round. Take a large home equity loan and live off that for a bit. Sell the place at a huge profit and move to the land that is practically free of theme park communities and crime.

Alan D. Hyde
12-16-2002, 10:18 AM
Chris, I'd never advise someone to consume his or her capital. What if the economy heads South in a hurry?

It's better to live off earnings.

You can keep more of your independence that way, and (a bonus) you don't have to depend on the goodwill of bankers.

Alan