PDA

View Full Version : $600million rebuilding contracts

LeeG
03-21-2003, 08:03 PM
these are the beginning contracts of US firms with US govt' for "rebuilding Iraq",,,, there aren't construction firms in Iraq? Does anyone have anything to add on the topic?

NormMessinger
03-21-2003, 08:51 PM
It was reported that half the sub contracts could go to non-US firms. But, you know, the 600M is money from the US taxpayers. I guess I don't have a problem with it being spent on US firms. If other countries pitch in they can award contracts as they see fit as well. Using local labor makes economic sense so we can hope some of the money will flow to the people of Iraq.

High C
03-21-2003, 10:29 PM
The Iraqis will find themselves rich beyond their wildest dreams if they can develop a free, democratic government to replace the theivery and totalatarianism they've suffered under for so long.

JimD
03-21-2003, 10:37 PM
Lee, I mentioned Bechtel Industries and the Republican connection in a thread last week. No doubt the contracts will be influenced by partisan politics but so it always goes. Iraqi oil will no doubt ultimately pay for Iraqi reconstruction.

Oyvind Snibsoer
03-22-2003, 05:00 AM
I think there are some pretty strong voices rising now that the UN should take over and rebuild the country, not the coalition partners.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
03-22-2003, 05:24 AM
It is too early to say what may happen. President Chirac has said that France will veto any UN resolution giving temporary control of Iraq to the three coalition partners, which rather sounds as if he wants Iraq to come under direct UN administration.

No doubt the US Government has its own plans, and in the present state of things it is unlikely to consult France about them.

Wayne Jeffers
03-22-2003, 08:54 AM
How much of those "rebuilding Iraq" contracts do you suppose Haliburton (Cheney's old employer; still paying him a generous severence package) will get?

Wayne

High C
03-22-2003, 09:05 AM
The UN had a chance to participate, but they bungled this thing for over a decade. They are irrelevant.