PDA

View Full Version : Imagining the world before modern commerce and Edison

ishmael
10-31-2005, 08:24 PM
This time of year I start to get sleepy around nine or so. My Halloween thread got me thinking about how we are programmed, seasonal affective disorder, and the pace of the modern world.

There was a time, within the memory of some of our old ones, when we were largely pastoralists. This time of year the crop was in, parts sold, the wood or peat harvested for the winter fires, and the body and mind relaxed. There was always plenty of work to do, but it was also a time to sit around the fire, have a few drams perhaps, tell lies, and go to bed. It was a cycle repeated for millenia in the high and temperate latitudes, in almost all cultures.

Now, the pace doesn't slacken for the season, and I wonder if it isn't making some ingrained cycle in us ill. There is a clock, a timing, that is made up of genes, perhaps, that rebels against the lack of awareness, eh?

Katherine
10-31-2005, 08:28 PM
I would vote for simply going to bed earlier, except the only creature I have to curl up with is my cat.

uncas
10-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Katherine...who is at fault here...A good looking/smart.with a sense of humor woman with a BOAT.... I must be missing something...can't even call it a senior moment as it has lasted too long...
No Uncas is not for sale and it would have to be a package deal if he was... :D
Regardoing the time changes...makes no difference to me...Now if I lived in Alaska...it probably would...
jamj

Katherine
10-31-2005, 08:35 PM
The time change doesn't matter for you, because you don't have to be at work all day and can go out in the sun whenever you want. Those of us that have to spend most of our day inside notice the lack of sunlight more.

uncas
10-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Ouch....I worked hard to be retired and broke...Not that I don't enjoy it.... ;)

LeeG
10-31-2005, 08:37 PM
us has a cold, us expects to be feeling better tomorrow.

are you imagining or imagining imagining?

Katherine
10-31-2005, 08:39 PM
Sorry Jaime, wasn't trying to come down on you. But when your time outside is already limited, the short days make it even harder.

uncas
10-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Katherine...know you weren't...Actually when I left the educational field in 1995...I took off my watch and have never put it back on...don't even know where it is...However, even with the time changes...I always seem to ve within 10 minutes of the actual time...
So, guess the internal clock runs well even with the fall back/spring ahead syndrome..
jamj

ishmael
10-31-2005, 08:47 PM
I'm just imagining.

It was a hard life, the life of a farmer, and I'm not romanticising it. I'm just saying that for probably ten thousand years, maybe more, that's what we did. And, if you buy micro-evolution our stock evolved to meet it. And now, in a blink of time evolutionarily, the rules have changed in very arbitrary ways.

No moralizing, or romanticizing, just wondering, and feeling a little sympathy for those who have difficulty coping. Those with what is now called SAD may be suffering their genes, which say no, this isn't a time to be making compex business, this is a time for rest, and going inward. Winter. Take that away and I see depression, and crazy making.

Katherine
10-31-2005, 08:48 PM
So Jack, you're crazy? :D

Paul Pless
10-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Those of us that have to spend most of our day inside notice the lack of sunlight more. What? You live in Meecheegan, the sun never comes out there after August. Just dull grey skies day in and day out all winter long. YUCK

Paul Pless
10-31-2005, 08:58 PM
this is a time for rest, and going inward. Winter. I dunno, some cultures had/have to work pretty damn hard in the winter too.

And look at many modern Alaskans, they typically work all summer so that they can play all winter.

from a research perspective it might be interesting to study your hypothesis by comparing two different current cultures, say one that is modern and Westernized and one that is more primitive and tribal like the few unharried tribal cultures still in existence in S. America, Africa, or Asia.

[ 10-31-2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

ssor
10-31-2005, 10:22 PM
I always wake up when it gets light outside, haven't set a clock in years. Would probably go to bed when I was tired were it not for the clock. I keep one because other people live by them. And since I make my living working for people on their schedules, I must keep a clock.
Katherine, at the very least eat your lunch outside every day. It tastes better that way.

Katherine
10-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Not during a snow storm it wouldn't.

George Roberts
10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
I guess that taking care of livestock is harder in the winter. No putting the stock into a pasture with running water. Haul hay, grain, and water.

Cutting ice must be easier in the winter.

ssor
11-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Katherine:
Not during a snow storm it wouldn't.Only if you like cold food. We get your snow storms two days after they leave your part of the world.

uncas
11-01-2005, 07:31 AM
ssor...that snow you get must stop in Bel Air...We never get any of that stuff down here....Accordingly...the lower eastern shore is never ready for any of the white stuff which suggests to me that you should keep any and all of it up there.
I don't think that there are two clocks in this house agreeing on the time...The again, I don't think there are two9 clocks in this house...Oh yea...there are...my coffee pot and computer...One I have to set...can't deal without coffee in the AM ( when it is still dark ) and the other automatically resets...
Needless to say...I don't pay that much attention...Is it trash day????? I think so...
Have to check my palm pilot...oops no batteries... :D

LeeG
11-01-2005, 07:32 AM
It's times like these I look back to the SNL skit Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey.