PDA

View Full Version : Next year, a goat

ishmael
07-19-2003, 10:05 AM
The weed patch got beyond my reel mower so off to the rental center to rent a gas burner this AM. The task is done, but what an unpleasant experience. Noise, fumes... The more I think about a goat, the better one sounds.

It did bring back memories of teenage years, reminding me why I hated mowing the lawn from the very first time. I hadn't used one of these beasts in I'll bet twenty years. All the little tricks. Oh yeah, ya gotta keep the discharge to the outside of the circle; especially in tall wet grass :rolleyes: ;)

ahp
07-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Sheep pastures are beatiful, but I don't think sheep deal with brush, except for some Scotch breeds.

Leon m
07-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Why don't you get a rechargeable mower?
I got one for my Mom and she loves it.You
just flip the switch and go,and plug it
into an outlet in the garage when your not
using it.No gas ,no fumes, no noise,but
you do have to mow on a schedule to keep
it manageable.

Dutch Rub
07-19-2003, 11:19 AM
hear you go Ish- these are the noises you'll be trading for. Click on the goat sounds(#19). May I suggest that you play the nubian goat in heat? I think it may well be the music your ears have been longing to hear. http://www.ics.uci.edu/~pazzani/4H/GoatsHome.html web page

[ 07-19-2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Dutch Rub ]

Meerkat
07-19-2003, 12:23 PM
Goats are rechargable! :D

BTW, due to the demand for goat cheese there are a lot of surplus male goats. Most of them end up as barbecue. Some are used out west as pack animals (cheaper and, some say, better than llamas).

Ish, you gotta ask yourself: the mating call of a nubian goat or Dutch's pickup lines - which would you rather hear? ;)

oldriverat
07-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Hey Jack. You not afraid of trees are you? I once knew this chick who was afraid of trees. :rolleyes:

LisaS
07-19-2003, 01:11 PM
At least with a sheep or 6, you could sell the wool in the spring to the hand spinners and thus offset the costs of veterinary care and witer feed.

Lisa

Mrleft8
07-20-2003, 08:01 AM
, "but what an unpleasant experience. Noise, fumes... "
You've never had a goat, have you Jack? If you think the fumes from a lawn mower are bad, just wait until that young Billy goat starts feeling hot and horney... My god! The restroom at the Bangladesh train station might smell better!

Shang
07-20-2003, 10:20 AM
A few words about goats:

We kept a small herd of Alpine dairy goats. They won many prizes in the New York State Fair.

They're cute, loveable and fun; but I'd never have them again.

All of the bad things you hear about goats are true about billy goats, although not necessarily about nanny goats. DO NOT keep a billy goat! There are good reasons why billys are sold for meat.

New-born goat kids are the most fun animals in the world. They are ready to play as soon as they're born. They like people, and they smell like fresh cheese. However half of these cute little guys are born as billys, and will be eaten. This takes the fun out of playing with them.

They are a MAJOR responsibility in one's life. They must be housed, fed and cared for on a very regular basis.

You have NO friends who will volunteer twice to tend your goats while you go away for a long weekend.

Goats lend regularity to your life... If you are keeping milk goats you know EXACTLY where you will be every morning and every night.
(To paraphrase someone else: "No mistress was ever so demanding at dawn as a dairy animal who needed to be milked")

There is no practical market for goat milk nor goat cheese. However you will have an ample supply of both in your refrigerator.

You will become very knowledgeable about treating goaty health problems because your local veterinarian doesn't know squat about goats.

They will not mow your lawn ("Ugh, I WON'T eat THAT, it has BUGS in it!"). They eat expensive first and second-cutting hay, and expensive goat food. They will not eat brush unless you starve them into it.

I miss them.

[ 07-20-2003, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Shang ]

ishmael
07-20-2003, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the insight Shang. I threaten to get a goat, but your insights mean I probably won't, barring some major change in my take on life, like a ready made family with children. ;)

I thought goats would eat anything?

Jim H
07-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ishmael:
The weed patch got beyond my reel mower so off to the rental center to rent a gas burner this AM. The task is done, but what an unpleasant experience. Noise, fumes... The more I think about a goat, the better one sounds.

It did bring back memories of teenage years, reminding me why I hated mowing the lawn from the very first time. I hadn't used one of these beasts in I'll bet twenty years. All the little tricks. Oh yeah, ya gotta keep the discharge to the outside of the circle; especially in tall wet grass :rolleyes: ;) When it grows that fast you just have to cut it more often. My lawn grew at least 8 inches over the last 7 days. When it grows that fast it'll choke out a gas mower too.

Meerkat
07-20-2003, 01:57 PM
I wonder if the billy's used as pack animals by some out west here have not been fixed? I must admit that most of what I know about pack goats (little) was garnered from a long segment on a regional "Evening Magazine" type tv show, plus a few other articles I read. Although obviously biased, all those who where interviewed said that pack goats where really great hiking companions etc.

As to goat fodder: could it be that they become habituated to the hay and get spoiled? Could they be raised on grass/shrubbery? I also wonder if the food would has a bearing on the quality of milk produced?

When did you have your goat herd? I thought that goat cheese had really taken off and the beautique dairy goat business was thriving?

Mrleft8
07-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Goats are wonderful creatures. In other peoples yards.... :D