PDA

View Full Version : Frame Setup - questions

fwalschots
12-08-2003, 10:16 PM
I am building the Cape Henry 21... At the point where I am about to setup the frames on the strongback. I need some advice on how best to setup the frames.

Should I attach the legs firstly to the strongback, square, align etc and then attach the frames or should I attach the legs first to the frames before attaching to the strongback.

The plans only show the construction details of the strongback.

What method would you recommend???

Also the frames are permanent and I would like to avoid screw holes etc... what method would be best to secure the frames to the legs?...

Thanks

Frans

L.W. Baxter
12-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by fwalschots:
Also the frames are permanent and I would like to avoid screw holes etc... what method would be best to secure the frames to the legs?...

I've wondered about this. Didn't come up with any answers. Seems like any kind of clamping would be prone to slip. I think I'd just use small gauge screws and fill the holes.

Banjo
12-09-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by fwalschots:
What method would you recommend???
FransI would fix the legs to the jig first, make sure they are all in correct locations and are dead plumb. Then fit your frames to the legs with clamps first to get alignment correct for centreline and waterline and screw them to the legs with enough screws to hold em in place.

Over the course of building you will add weight, push, prod and shove things around, so the frames need to be held securely.

Paul Scheuer
12-10-2003, 11:16 PM
It may be too late, but everything I've seen shows the forms built larger than the boat, and sawed off later. The temporary attachments to the strongback go off with the scrap if the forms are to stay in. You really do want a solid connection. You might be able to gusset and glue the legs on to avoid holes. You can plane off the glue when the time comes.