PDA

View Full Version : The Rodney Dangerfeld Question...

MJC
04-20-2005, 07:30 AM
Sometimes, I feel like Rodney. I feel like, down in the bilge, that I don't get no respect around here. That's how I'm feeling.

But what I really don't understand is why? My posts sink like winch handles dropped overboard to the bottom of the front page with zero responses, zero I tell you! When people do respond, I've been called stupid, arrogant, asinine, told to shove the ebay wall sconce where the sun don't shine, etc, ad nauseaum.

I mean, I know I'm a nerdy kinda guy. My daughter used to say "Dad, you're not going outside dressed like that, are you?" But you folks can't see how I'm dressed. So it must be some attitude that I convey, but if I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I can't change, can I.

So, what should I do differently?

George.
04-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Try some controversial C&P from questionable sources. You'll still be called names, but at least your posts wont sink down the bilge... :D

Memphis Mike
04-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by MJC:
Sometimes, I feel like Rodney. I feel like, down in the bilge, that I don't get no respect around here. That's how I'm feeling.

But what I really don't understand is why? My posts sink like winch handles dropped overboard to the bottom of the front page with zero responses, zero I tell you! When people do respond, I've been called stupid, arrogant, asinine, told to shove the ebay wall sconce where the sun don't shine, etc, ad nauseaum.

I mean, I know I'm a nerdy kinda guy. My daughter used to say "Dad, you're not going outside dressed like that, are you?" But you folks can't see how I'm dressed. So it must be some attitude that I convey, but if I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I can't change, can I.

So, what should I do differently?Ahh, you stupid, arrogant assinine son-of-a-gun: Who dresses you???
:D :D :D

-Sue

(just kidding, MJ)

PS: Please note, I DID respond. ;)

Memphis Mike
04-20-2005, 09:00 AM
MJ, I'm trying to keep it afloat, but you're gonna have to paddle faster! smile.gif

Try renaming the thread "The Truth about Catholics, Politics and Gun Laws" and it will go to 300 pages. Add a bad word or 2, and it might pass 500. :eek:

-Sue

Memphis Mike
04-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Actually, to the forum's credit, the longest running thread on MNBR is about jokes.

Since we can't all gather around food, which is a universal human tendency, we can still gather around humor, and that's good.

-Sue

Bruce Taylor
04-20-2005, 09:07 AM
First, you've got to change the handle. You need something easy to remember, like "The Hammer of God," "Marvin the Magical Moose" or "Pigfaced Pete."

Then, you have to work on the three S's..swagger, sadism, self-love. Announce to anyone who will listen that you are the toughest, smartest or wealthiest S.O.B. on the forum. Then go out and pick a fight. If a mobbing is already in progress, just pile on and get a few kicks in while the fun lasts. Of course, since this is just "virtual" bullying, you can't actually stick the guy's head in the toilet. So, you must try to hurt him psychologically. Scan his posts for signs of weakness. If your victim has confessed to some human failing -- alcoholism, poverty, loneliness, or whatever -- you're in business. Rub his nose in it...mock him, laugh at him. If he quietly accepts his punishment...great. If he fights back, tell him he has no sense of humour and keep hacking away at the weak points.

Remember, the goal here is not to be liked, but to be noticed. You've got to get in people's heads, like an annoying radio jingle. Make an ugly scene or two, and they'll remember you. Play on their emotions. Say something inexcusable, and then post a maudlin retraction. They won't know whether to despise you or pity you. Either way, you win.

There are plenty of other tricks, but these should get you started.

Memphis Mike
04-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Boy, Bruce you are good !

-Sue

Popeye
04-20-2005, 09:12 AM
"And of course, those are genuine Saskatchewan seal skin bindings"

Mike Wallace reporting on Super Dave Osbourne. http://www.bobeinstein.com/images/superexplains.jpg

[ 04-20-2005, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: popeye ]

Memphis Mike
04-20-2005, 09:16 AM
The next question being, who the heck is Super Dave Osborne???

-Sue

Memphis Mike
04-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Is he any relation to Ann Coulter? :D

-Sue

Popeye
04-20-2005, 09:34 AM
i think mr. fuji was his chief stunt designer. he would always end up in a mangled trap, arms and legs sticking out. one time his entire body got stuck in his helmet. Mike then interviews dave after the stunt has gone awry, dave starts swearing his head off at mr fuji, so the gag goes.

Memphis Mike
04-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by popeye:
i think mr. fuji was his chief stunt designer. he would always end up in a mangled trap, arms and legs sticking out. one time his entire body got stuck in his helmet. Mike then interviews dave after the stunt has gone awry, dave starts swearing his head off at mr fuji, so the gag goes.Mr. Fuji?? Arms and legs stuck in a helmet??

Uhhh, ok, it's all clear to me now. :confused: tongue.gif

-Sue

Bruce Taylor
04-20-2005, 09:43 AM
Oh, and your thread title needs a bit more sizzle.

How about: "People like you make me SICK!!!!!"

(The more exclamation points the better).

MJC
04-20-2005, 09:59 AM
I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet.
Rodney Dangerfield Why do people hijack my threads? They must hate me.

Bruce Taylor
04-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Change the thread title to "Why do you hate me??!!!" and watch that baby soar!

Or, you could decide that being ignored by a room full of randy apes is kind of a compliment...

Phil Eves
04-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Super Dave Osborne, born.....Dave Einstein, is actually Albert Brooks' brother!

Popeye
04-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Super Dave (Bob Einstein?) was a spin off from John Byner, remember John Byner and Carol Burnett ...

http://johnbyner.com/images/rodney2.jpg

mmd
04-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Aren't Super Dave and Red Green cousins? :D

Memphis Mike
04-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Here's another good Post to bump it. ;)
-Sue

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/CMAG/948-015.jpg

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
04-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Man I miss Rodney and lines like this......

When I say I'm lonely, I mean lonely. The other day in traffic a guy gave me the finger. And I enjoyed it.

what a guy. :D

[ 04-20-2005, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Know It All ]

mmd
04-20-2005, 10:47 PM
"Hey, waiter! Bring us a tray of beer every ten minutes until somebdy passes out. Then bring a tray every fifteen minutes. Man! We're here to have FUN!"

-Rodney, from the movie "Back to School"

Jack Heinlen
04-20-2005, 10:59 PM
I'm working on it. Le's see.

Her cooking, my wife's, is so bad the flies fix the screens so they can't get in.

Not quite it, but you get the idea.

A pip, who like Bruce didn't mince words. Actually, not like Bruce. Bruce was a darling of the left intellectual crowd. Rodney was the working man's comic. Very, very funny man at times. RIP.

High C
04-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by mmd:
[i]-Rodney, from the movie "Back to School"Addressing an attractive female teacher, (from memory) "I'd like to talk to you about going out on a date with me, but I see you have class now. Call me when you have no class." :D

JimD
04-20-2005, 11:08 PM
MJC, here's a sample of your style lifted from you last thread (that also bombed):
I said I was trying to be a centrist again. I didn't say I was a conservative. QED, I can think for myself, thank you very much. See, here's the problem. I don't think you can. tongue.gif :D

seafox
04-20-2005, 11:12 PM
MJC
what do you meen about hijacking a thread the reasons post sink is because other people have no intrest in them. I think you might find as a percentage I have you beat 3 to one in the race to oblivian of no responces. but then again I can't remember any subject you have posted about could you list them here?

Jack Heinlen
04-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Jim,

This is nonsequiter, but I would really like if you would retract your accusation against me. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I am really offended. I don't think you meant it, at least I hope not, but accusing me of pederasty is really heinous. To hurt a wee one is the worst thing a person can do. Please make that right.

JimD
04-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
Jim,

This is nonsequiter, but I would really like if you would retract your accusation against me. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but I am really offended. I don't think you meant it, at least I hope not, but accusing me of pederasty is really heinous. To hurt a wee one is the worst thing a person can do. Please make that right.MJ, can I call you MJ? Are you beginning to see how it works? Jack, for example, is so upset with some imagined slight against him that he has to follow me around into other peoples threads! This is good stuff. Think you're ready to give it another try? It's getting late. No pressure, just sleep on it, and I'll check back tomorow. I gotta log out and hit the sack now. zzzzzzzzzz

Jack Heinlen
04-20-2005, 11:35 PM
It's not imagined, Jim. You said people should keep their children away from me. That hurt me, because nothing could be further from the truth. I would no more hurt or exploit a child than I would a woodthrush, or my own conscience. It's ugly, your insinuation. Why can't you say, boy, that wasn't right. I retract that? Not man enough, I see.

[ 04-21-2005, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

mmd
04-21-2005, 06:46 AM
Jack, they're only words strung together in a sentence. Once they're out there you can't get them back. You've probably heard them from others, so what does it matter? There's no one here to make him delete them. You can't stifle his freedom to expression.

Any of this sound familiar? ;) tongue.gif

MJC
04-21-2005, 07:01 AM
I don't get no respect around here.

This morning when I put on my underwear I could hear the fruit-of-the-loom guys laughing at me.
Rodney Dangerfield
But it seems like Jack is getting even less.

Jack Heinlen
04-21-2005, 07:05 AM
It's been repeated ad nauseum Michael, but mentioning a word is not the same as using it to offend. And no, I've never heard it before directed at me.

I'm a currently single man, who happens to have worked extensively with sex offenders and pederasts. It, seemingly, makes me a target for gratuitous abuse.

I know them. It is ugly and ultimately offensive to be called that, when not. You can rationalize and make excuses all you want, about how it's just a word, but accusing me of pederasty just because(I don't think Jim even followed that argument closely), is ugly. I wish he'd see his better nature. It has nothing to do with my posting of a word in polite conversation, it's, rather, a point of personal honor. Lesser matters got men shot in a more direct age.

JimD
04-21-2005, 07:14 AM
So little Suzie walks home through the park after school, and when she is greeted by her mother, Suzie says "Hi, ----"

Shocked, Suzie's mom says "Suzie! Where ever did you learn a word like that?"

Suzie replies "From this nice man I met in the park. He was very open minded and wanted to talk about anthing and everything."

"Well I want you to stay away from that man and I don't want you using that word ever again. Do you hear me, Suzie?" said the mother.

"Ok, mom. But he didn't actually use the word ----, he just mentioned it"

MJC
04-21-2005, 07:20 AM
No respect at all, no respect I tell ya.

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.
Rodney Dangerfield

Jack Heinlen
04-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Jim,

If you were close to hand I would call you out. I'm a getting to be flabby almost fifty year old, and probably would get my clock cleaned, but I'd do it anyway, just for the satisfaction. Two hundred years ago a pair of matched pistols would be in order, and I'm not a bad shot.

Make a retraction, apologize, and move on. It will do you good. It stops being good fun when you impugn a man's character.

mmd
04-21-2005, 07:26 AM
Jack, words and sentences can be interpreted differently by different listeners. I read JimD's words, and I didn't take them to imply that you were a threat to small children as a sexual predator, but merely that you were, ah, different than the usual neighbour by dint of your introspective proclivities and philosophical outlook. Mothers with a less than accepting outlook than you would react negatively to someone percieved as "different" without assigning a specific cause. It seems you are the one to imbue JimD's statement with sexual overtones.

JimD, nicely put re: Little Suzie. :D

(Edit to clarify what JimD had put nicely.)

[ 04-21-2005, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: mmd ]

Popeye
04-21-2005, 07:29 AM
.. mentioning a word is not the same as using it to offend..

If i may, the words in question are propagated by common usage. Routinely labeling people with stereotypical images, even quietly and indirectly, costs.

There's enough crap in the world already, why add to it?

TomF
04-21-2005, 07:32 AM
JimD, from where I sit, you are going a bit over the line, particularly with your most recent post intended to rub salt in the wound. Jack's got a point.

FWIW, I recall that in pre-Napoleonic France, duels were so common that literally thousands of young french Aristocrats died each year. Over imagined insults much more trivial
than this.

t.

Memphis Mike
04-21-2005, 07:34 AM
MJC, you might break 300 with this thread yet! ;)

-Sue

Jack Heinlen
04-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Say whatever you want, Michael. Spin,"I understand why parents protect their children from you." in anyway that suits you. If Jim were in reach I'd do my best to give him a good punch in the nose, to knock him down, to knock him out. If dueling were still legal, I'd shoot him.

mmd
04-21-2005, 07:36 AM
Sue, does that mean we have to give him respect? ;) :D

[ 04-21-2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: mmd ]

mmd
04-21-2005, 07:39 AM
But Jack, they're only words! Why such furor over mere letters strung together? Can't you just accept his right to type words and move on? tongue.gif :D

You don't expect him to actually edit his post to remove the offensive words, do you? They're out there and can't be undone. You said as much yourself when you were asked by over a dozen people to edit a single word from your posts. In fact, you repeated it over and over to show your impunity to public opinion. Surely you can stand up to a bit of offensive material when it comes your way, can't you?

[ 04-21-2005, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: mmd ]

Jack Heinlen
04-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Michael,

You're being fatuous, and you know it. I'm not going 'round this barn again. Jim accused me of a heinous thing. If you can't see the difference, you're much more stupid than you let on.

[ 04-21-2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

Popeye
04-21-2005, 07:49 AM
.. If dueling were still legal, I'd shoot him.your moral compunction is born of legislation?

. pathetic .

MJC
04-21-2005, 07:51 AM
I tell ya, I don't get no respect around here.

The bilge used to "All About Joe", Now it's "All About Jack." Jack should get a dog.

With my dog I don't get no respect. He keeps barking at the front door. He don't want to go out. He wants me to leave.
Rodney Dangerfield

mmd
04-21-2005, 08:11 AM
And Jack, you are being unreasonably stubborn. All of the pages of strident postings would not have happened if you would have merely accepted that you posted a word that offended some number of forumites. It would not have diminished your opinion nor your right to it if you had edited the word as requested and expressed some form of apology for the offense. Not apolgise for posting the offensive word, but just that you misjudged the audience to whom it was directed. You would have kept you integrity and dignity on the subject, placated the offended, and still have been able to make your point on the subject word. Instead, you threw a tantrum and reposted the offensive word at every chance you got, apparently just to show that you could do so with impunity. Well, son, this level of harrassment that you are recieving is proof that you are not made of teflon and that your words do stick to you. I believe that you acted unreasonably to our repeated requests for you to edit the"c" word, now you are feeling the heat generated from your stance. When I tire of the chase, hopefully you will have become suitably irritated so that you will reason the wordings of your postings in the future.

Remember the old agage, "Keep your words soft and sweet because you never know when you might have to eat them."

Jack Heinlen
04-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Michael,

That someone of your intelligence refuses to see the difference between referencing a word, and using it in anger, is truly frightening to me. The fact that you compare direct accusation to thoughtful examination is flabbergasting.

My fathers lived till they were in their mid sixties. I'm closing in on fifty, so I've got about fifteen years left, lord willing. Your lack of awareness, no, your twisted awareness, is on the upswing. I, lord willing, won't live to see the worst of its fruits. I hope I'm eaten by a shark, and don't live to see a pierced eyebrow in the wacked attendant.

mmd
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Jack, as my last address to this particular subject, allow me to leave you with an imaginary scene for you to ruminate upon as a possible means to explain to you that I really do understand that you werenít using the word hatefully, but that your use of it in this place was inappropriate:

Imagine that you are at Bostonís Logan Airport, about to board a plane to fly to Michigan to see your brother. While in the lineup at the security checkpoint, you turn to the stranger behind you and casually begin a pleasant conversation about why the signs say you cannot speak of bombs or hijacking in the terminal. Despite your correspondants pleas for you to cease using them, you use those words repeatedly to make your point that they are mere words and should not be banned from conversational use in the terminal. After all, they are just words, right? Homeland Security personnel come and take you away to a small windowless room and begin to interrogate you in a most unfriendly way.

Do you think that your arguments about the use and intent of the words will hold water with the Homeland Security officers, or were the signs right in that those words should not have been used in that place, regardless of how benign your use of them?

By the way, I am surprised that you have resorted to calling me stupid and are implying that I am somehow becoming mentally unbalanced because I disagree with you. Poor form, old boy.
;)

Hwyl
04-28-2005, 09:45 AM
MJC I just read a LBJ5 post, in which you responded to his every post by some version of "idiot". If you wonder why you get no respect. Take a look in the mirror.

MJC
04-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it.'
Rodney Dangerfield

Katherine
04-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Michael,

That someone of your intelligence refuses to see the difference between referencing a word, and using it in anger, is truly frightening to me. The fact that you compare direct accusation to thoughtful examination is flabbergasting.

My fathers lived till they were in their mid sixties. I'm closing in on fifty, so I've got about fifteen years left, lord willing. Your lack of awareness, no, your twisted awareness, is on the upswing. I, lord willing, won't live to see the worst of its fruits. I hope I'm eaten by a shark, and don't live to see a pierced eyebrow in the wacked attendant.So what if your fater kicked off at 65, with a little pit of self preservation and healthy behavior, you could live way past that. What's the old saying about a man who thinks he'll die tomorrow probably will?

George Roberts
04-28-2005, 12:18 PM
MJC ---

Does 2 pages make you feel better?

MJC
04-28-2005, 12:34 PM
:D

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
Rodney Dangerfield

:D

George.
04-28-2005, 04:30 PM
And just for a bump's sake...

The Wall Street Journal reports that Ann Coulter said that gay pro-abortion Catholics are twice as likely to support higher taxes for bear hunters as liberal Southern psychologists who voted for Tom Delay.

Ed Harrow
04-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Join the club, MJC, it ain't a bad one, really.

Memphis Mike
04-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Ed Who? :D

-Sue

L.W. Baxter
04-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Nice thread you got here, MP3.

Look out for number one, but don't step in number two!

L.W. Baxter
04-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Speaking of no respect, how do you feel when yours is the last response on a multiple page thread?

I'm the king of lonely, unanswered, last responses. After I'm done, people just can't run away fast enough, I tell you.

John Bell
04-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by L.W. Baxter:
Speaking of no respect, how do you feel when yours is the last response on a multiple page thread?

I'm the king of lonely, unanswered, last responses. After I'm done, people just can't run away fast enough, I tell you.No way! I'm the king of that!

...and this response will prove it.
;)

High C
04-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by L.W. Baxter:

I'm the king of lonely, unanswered, last responses. After I'm done, people just can't run away fast enough, I tell you.No, no, no, you're taking it all wrong. When that happens, it's because your comment is so complete, your argument so convincing, that there is nothing left to say. Consider it a victory!

Yeah, that's the ticket... ;) :D

High C
04-29-2005, 10:16 PM
John:

Hah hah!

http://www.simpsonsfolder.com/gallery/fox/c-nelson.jpg

John Bell
04-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Drat. :mad: Maybe this one will do it. :D

L.W. Baxter
04-29-2005, 10:19 PM
:rolleyes:

Amatures.

John Bell
04-29-2005, 10:20 PM
That's AMATEUR to you, sir!

(That ought to hold 'em.) tongue.gif

L.W. Baxter
04-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Well, now my humiliation is complete.

Katherine
04-29-2005, 10:33 PM
While I'm a woman so I always get the last word. :D

seafox
04-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Katherine
perhapse the best word
but not the last...yet any way
L W Baxter I may be over sensitive but I know exactly what you ment because I think at least of hundered of my post have ended threads

as rodney would have said I married a morman girl, and the missionarys still didn't try to convert me

Wild Wassa
04-30-2005, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Bruce Taylor:
"... self-love."

Oh my goodness, :eek: , I hope you mean narcissism not that other type of self love.

Warren.

[ 04-30-2005, 04:33 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

MJC
04-30-2005, 05:59 AM
So, sure, see what I told you? No respect. Now people are fighting to see who can have the last word on MY thread.

No respect I tell you, no respect at all, the other day I met the surgeon general - he offered me a cigarette. -Rodney Dangerfield

Memphis Mike
04-30-2005, 06:55 AM
I was so ugly, as a child my parents made me sleep naked on the kitchen floor to scare away the roaches.

-Rodney Dangerfield, from memory

Hey sweetheart, you want to earn $5.00 - the hard way?

- Rodney Dangerfield, from memory, to an elderly socialite in "Caddyshack"

When I was born, I bought no joy - my parents looked at me and said, "We wanted a boy!"

-Rodney Dangerfield, from his song "No Respect"

MJ, you're becoming the king of the popular threads. What are you going to do with this new-found fame? smile.gif

-Sue

Memphis Mike
04-30-2005, 07:01 AM
OK, now you're up to 70 posts. See, all you had to do was ask! Now, I'm going to go craft a post, something to the effect of, "When I ask for a complete new wardrobe, nobody ever pays me any attention." :D

-Sue