PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane info requested from those who have been there.

alteran
09-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Just curious having never had to prepare for one.
I see pictures of people screwing plywood over windows. Do some of these homes have some sort of "dedicated" screw locations? Threaded fasteners intalled? And are some window sills just full of random screw holes?
Some must have operating shutters I suppose?
What can you tell us from the north about home hurricane preparation?

Thanks, Al.

[ 09-25-2004, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: alteran ]

Ken Hutchins
09-25-2004, 09:30 PM
All the folks in Florida are too busy to answer at this time. But I'll make a few suggestions. I would think they would have dedicated plywood cut to size and dedicated screw holes, but when you see all the scrambling to get plywood on TV that tells me there are a lot of people not prepared in advance.
The other things to do to prepare for both hurricanes and serious blizzards is make sure the vehicle and spare gas cans are full, because with massive power failures operating gas pumps will be rare.
Secure all loose things outside that can become flying missles in the high wind.
Water for consumption and flushing must be stored, I always fill bathtub, washing machine, buckets and jugs prior to major storms, important when relying on an electric well pump.
Batteries for flashlights and radios.
Oil for oil lamps.
Enough food in the house for at least 5 days.
Keep freezer filled with blocks of ice ahead of time. Don't open the refrigerator and freezer any more than necessary during power outage.
Slightly crack open a window in vehicles to reduce the possibility of windows blowing out with a sudden pressure drop with a fast moving storm.
More people are killed by the flooding than the wind, know the geography of your surrondings, if even a remote chance of flooding around home get out to higher ground before the storm and remember there are possibly millions of other people getting out also, so the traffic jams will be severe.

alteran
09-25-2004, 09:42 PM
I might not have been clear. I still live in the north and don't need to prepare. I'm just interested in how those in hurricane country take care of the exterior of their buildings.

From afar it seems that many don't prepare at all until the warnings are sounded but I'm sure many do and the ones we see on the news are mostly those in a frantic race to do what could or should have been done before. Better news footage than a nicely shuttered home.
So I'm just curious.

Where I am the biggest natural disater would be a tornado. Not much warning if any. Go to the basement and hope for the best.
Blizzard... make sure you have gas for the snowblower, food for a few days and polish your storytelling so when you CAN get to town you can tell everyone at the cafe what a hell of a time you had getting to town. smile.gif

Al.

High C
09-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Al, I have fitted and marked plywood for each door and window. And anchors set into the wood frames that stick out with exposed machine screw threads, 1/4". There are holes drilled in the plywood such that it is hung on these anchors, and fastened with fender washers and wing nuts.

Easy up and down, but takes time to do the first time to get the holes lined up properly with the anchors.

The quick way is to just nail up the plywood with #8 duplex nails, the ones with an extra head so they're easy to remove. Screws are not necessary. If there's enough wind to pull nails out of that plywood, the whole house is going to get blown down. :eek:

[ 09-25-2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: High C ]

Shang
09-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Living in Tormado Alley...Gawd's own Mix-Master,
we know a little about nature's own...
But you guys in Florida,..!
Holy Jumphin' Geegzzeezz!
I'm glad I don't live on Clearwater Beach Island any more...

Good luck, guys...I drove through your area about two years ago, and have a clue about what it must be like now...!

Mark Van
09-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Breezy.

Billy Bones
09-26-2004, 07:25 AM
http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.rzstarr/index/shutter.JPG

Here is an example of one of my shutters (still under construction) which remains in place year round. Known as Barbados shutters, they offer shade in the open position and close virtually instantly when needed. They prop is also the bar. They are made of 2x8 pressure treated and shiplapped.

Note salt blast, even at my 400' altitude on the zinc plated hardware.

On the North side of the house I have more traditional shutters and two roll-up aluminum ones for the larger openings with the rollup mechanism on the inside.

My new porch will be surrounded by the corrugated aluminum shutters which pop up into a track at the top of the opening and bolt to a studded track at the bottom.

I posted a long diary of my preparations for some storm earlier this year and now it's been deleted. I hate it when people do that, but I've done it myself so I shouldn't complain too much.

NormMessinger
09-26-2004, 08:09 AM
That shutter puts new meaning to the term "hell fer stought." May your labor all be for naught.

Elmer Jenkins
09-26-2004, 08:14 AM
I find it hard to believe that such a kind, compassionate, caring individual as yourself has an actual interest in this Al.

My better judgement tells me you are planning on loading up a truck of plywood for the next one and heading to Florida to price gouge the hurricane victims. smile.gif

Billy Bones
09-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks Norm.

Here are a couple of pictures from various stages of construction on the house...shutters obvious.

We moved into this house two weeks before hurricane Lenny hit us as category 4 and stalled on us for about 36 hours. Somewhere I have a picture from then. Next break I'll look for it.

http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.rzstarr/index/deck.JPG

http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.rzstarr/index/currenthouseweb.jpg

edited for image size

[ 09-26-2004, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Billy Bones ]

Bob Adams
09-26-2004, 08:58 PM
The 6 Ps...Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Preformance.

alteran
09-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Are those aluminum roll ups common on homes there? And if so are they just for storms or are they also used for security from breakins when people are away?

Al.

And no MMike I'm not planning to sell plywood there. Are you planning to go in and sell cigarette machines?

imported_Dutch
09-26-2004, 10:00 PM
these would sell if some one needs an idea

http://www.melonbones.com/userpics2/Dealsnsteals-152.163.252.165-77066404.jpg

MickeyLane
09-27-2004, 06:01 AM
Zephyrhills, FL reporting in...

The eye of Jeanne passed directly over us late yesterday afternoon - at least I think it was still afternoon - and thus ended a very long day. Jeanne was very active in the north west quadrant and almost calm in the south east. There wasn't really much going on after the eye passed.

All is well as far as my interests are concerned but it's still dark and the power's still out so I don't know what sort of damage exists around here yet.

As far as the news reports of people going crazy buying plywood are concerned, keep in mind that some places - Tampa for instance - haven't taken a direct hit from a hurricane in 50 years or more. Just how much prep are you supposed to do for something that happens once in a lifetime? Another thing to remember is that boarding up the windows doesn't really do much good if the rest of the house disappears.

(Technically, Tampa still hasn't been hit - the storm passed by 40 miles to the north east.)

Granted, Zephyrhills is not oceanside so it never sees the full force of a storm but I'd guess that around here only one house in fifty does any boarding up. Stores with lots of plate glass tended to do more than homeowners.

What most people do is pack away anything that can get blown around and tie down everything else. One often reported tactic is to toss all the patio furniture into the pool. The nicer your car is, the further away from the trees you park it.

As Ron White does in his comedy routine, "It's not THAT the wind is blowing, it's WHAT the wind is blowing. If you get hit with a Volvo...."

Mickey.

Billy Bones
09-27-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by alteran:
Are those aluminum roll ups common on homes there? And if so are they just for storms or are they also used for security from breakins when people are away?

Not terribly common, but the corrugated aluminum type is pretty much the standard....

http://www.rolsafe.com/shellie.jpg

There are also lots of accordian shutters which are very strong but pretty ugly.....

http://www.stormprotectionsystems.com/images/accordionex.jpg

And none save perhaps the lockable accordian shutters are used for security. Looking lived in is the best security for a home in these parts, tho it's not infallible.