PDA

View Full Version : Humble Gopher Admits Defeat, MM Follows...

Fooler
12-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Sorry, boys- maybe next time! ;) :D

Monday Dec. 28, 2003; 4:13 p.m. EST
NY Times: No Evidence of Halliburton Profiteering

A comprehensive investigation into Halliburton's multibillion-dollar contract to restore Iraq's oil infrastructure shows "no evidence of profiteering" by the Houston-based oil services company.

That's the verdict by the New York Times, which assigned its Whitewater sleuth Jeff Gerth and investigative ace Don Van Atta to lay bare all the tawdry details of how Vice President Dick Cheney's former company was reaping big-bucks profits from sweetheart deals imagined by Democrats.

One problem: Gerth and Van Atta found almost nothing for Dems to hang their hats on. In fact, not only couldn't the Times find any evidence that Halliburton was stuffing its pockets under-the-table - even the aboveboard revenue collected by the company hasn't been much to write home about.

"So far this year, Halliburton's profits from Iraq have been minimal," the Times admitted. "The company's latest report to the Securities and Exchange Commission shows $1.3 billion in revenues from work in Iraq and $46 million in pretax profits for the first nine months of 2003."

Greg H
12-29-2003, 05:03 PM
I like butter and syrup on mine. Of course that depends on what else is on the plate.

JimD
12-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Just curious, but how do these sleuths and investigative aces arrive at such conclusions? Does Haliburton just hand over the books to the reporters to see if they can find any suspicious looking journal entries?

Fooler
12-29-2003, 05:17 PM
Um, publicly held company? Plus, given the facts were favorable, maybe they had an incentive to cooperate? :rolleyes: ;)

Greg- that would be "crow", with a side of "humble pie?!" :eek: :D tongue.gif

[ 12-29-2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: True Grit ]

oldriverat
12-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Here's a link especially for you False Grit. Be sure you have the sound turned up so you can get the true meaning.

http://www.bushflash.com/ihr.html

Fooler
12-29-2003, 05:31 PM
True ;) but the spin's the thing in today's world. :D And bottom line, the bottom line will stay about the same, with the government allowing a 5% profit. While the numbers are huge, 5% isn't much of a return for the risks involved.

Fooler
12-29-2003, 05:35 PM
MM, 'tis more gracious to give than to receive, especially this time of year! :D So here ya go!

http://www.freefarts.com/

[ 12-29-2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: True Grit ]

JimD
12-29-2003, 05:40 PM
So they used the official public financial statements that all publicly traded companies by law have to publish? :eek: Oh yeah. I'd trust those alright. :rolleyes:

Meerkat
12-29-2003, 05:56 PM
True ****.

Fooler
12-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Aw, gopher, cheer up! Your team will most certainly find some dirt, somewhere, on the loyal opposition- that's the nature of politics. The problem is though, while it may put a smile on your face for a day, it won't really have any effect on your life. That's up to you. Get ta look'n for a job! :eek: :D :D

JimD
12-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Somebody definitely needs a life, TG, and I think its you

Fooler
12-29-2003, 06:24 PM
Yo there, JD, I have (had) a great life! Hope to have a bit more. ;)

Gotta admit though, I'm a bit bored out here in the FREEZING great NW, and while I love being with the kids and grand kids, home will be welcomed. 'Till then, I'll just spend some time here, kinda like hang'n round a warm camp-fire, pok'n at the coals, and teas'n the flames.. :eek: :D

Meerkat
12-29-2003, 06:46 PM
There needs to be a new section for True Grit posts: Misc. Non-brain Related. :D

Fooler
12-29-2003, 06:53 PM
It would be safe to say we'd never meet there... :D And this is so much more fun! :eek: ;)

Ron Williamson
12-29-2003, 07:12 PM
To quote SWMBO,
"Was that really necessary?"
Accompanied by much :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
R

km gresham
12-29-2003, 07:23 PM
To quote one of my favorite British comedy characters (Onslow) "Aww, Nice! :rolleyes: "

I'm sorry, I just don't see the point in becoming obscene rather than debate. Of course if one can not debate and choses not to just opt out, I guess obscenity is all that's left.

Fooler
12-29-2003, 07:24 PM
:( :eek: Oh well, looks like he's going down for an eternity.... :rolleyes:

brad9798
12-29-2003, 07:25 PM
EXACTLY true grit ...

Hell, I wouldn't touch a project for only 5% profit!

Oh, it's another conspiracy to fool the little man! :rolleyes:

Good post!! :D

Greg H
12-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Since when did Ropublicons give any credability to something published in the NYT?

Bob Smalser
12-29-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm no fan of senior-executive coziness or no-bid contracts in general, but having actually administered a couple major DOD contracts...

...I'm hardly surprised. Brown and Root have been major support contractors to the Army for decades and have capabilities of scale and location unmatched by any others in the short term.

There is another out there I helped fire that I did find to be as crooked as a hound dog's hind leg...I'll might tell generalized stories but I won't name names.

oldriverat
12-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Ya see, changing is not an easy thing, especially after 30 years of the same behavior but I am trying to change. It's no excuse but True Grit's post in general, pisses me off. I think it's aim is to insult and incite. I feel the political garbage is ruining this place and it's often difficult to stay out of it.

I know when I owe an apology and I apologize to the group for my display of z middle finger. :D

[ 12-29-2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Meerkat
12-29-2003, 10:46 PM
I bet you got True Twit all hot, bothered and randy MMike ;)

Fooler
12-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Naw, not much the "little people" do causes me ta think about them at all. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

If ya mean what ya say, I think there's a "delete" option there, Mikey. ;) :D

Seems ta me that the gopher and MM are the ones most likely ta loose all self control.... ;)

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Hey TG, what do you use for bait when fishin for fish? :D

Joe (SoCal)
12-30-2003, 09:56 AM
I've noticed that True Twit brings out the worse in people on both sides of an issue. As a new member to this forum ( if he really is new ;) ) he certainly shows no respect and is almost always cutting and rude in his remarks - a true addition to this forum - NOT :mad: I have also noticed that True False has become the pet lap dog for most of the neocons - its a shame that you have sided with such an obvious troll it makes your agenda look that much smaller. I try to avoid these stupid threads. But what is so bothering to see is people on this forum that I have known for years now being stirred up by this obvious True, BS. To see MMike loose it only to get a cold and harsh remark from the supposedly reformed Donn "That's his substitute for alcohol. " Man, that was just cold dude. For all his struggles MMike has been a TRUE part of this forum and he opened up and shared his addictions with us all - I find it horrible that someone would USE that just to get a dig in post. This whole thing is Just wrong. But I'm sure by my opening my mouth I'm about to be on the receiving end of both barrels. But I would be willing to take and return fire for any one of you-so have at it. (Grits Teeth ) :mad: :mad: :mad:

[ 12-30-2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ) ]

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-30-2003, 10:04 AM
It's only a battle if you stay and fight Joe. I just smile and move on to the next interesting thread. smile.gif

brad9798
12-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Joe, your read too much into it.

It is a simple of matter of: "dish it out, and ye shall receive."

Receiving is not much fun for folks that dish it out.

Memphis is a fine fellow, he and I actually have some things in common! ;) :eek:

But Memphis knows he dishes it out against Bush, Haliburton, Cheney, et al-- just a little 'point-making' going on, that's all.

:cool:

oldriverat
12-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks Joe smile.gif and Donn doesn't bother me. I know what I'm dealing with.

Fooler
12-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Joe- you seem tense- have a drink and "chill out" tongue.gif :D If you can't handle it, follow your own advice and "just stay away!" :eek: ;)

[ 12-30-2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: True Grit ]

km gresham
12-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Thank you, Mike. smile.gif Maybe it would help to count to 10 (or 100) before posting? ;) Keep in mind none of this is worth losing one's cool over - although we all have on occasion :D

stan v
12-31-2003, 08:10 AM
I know that if any of the unemployed/dissatisfied members that frequent this forum had a chance to join this fine company, they'd jump at the first opportunity. :rolleyes:

Edited to add: dissatisfied

[ 12-31-2003, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: stan v ]

km gresham
12-31-2003, 09:22 AM
In a skinny minute! As well as some employed/satisfied ones :D