PDA

View Full Version : Inspired by John Gearing's "Object of Fear" and current events

Ed Harrow
04-01-2003, 11:35 PM
The Art of Diplomacy as Practiced by Beau

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g65/wlgtoo/Spring%20Lane/Critters/Beau.jpg

This picture does justice to his manners, but not to his bulk; he weighed about 130 pounds. His idea of fun was retrieving 8-foot 2 x 10s. When we put on our addition, once a week I had to comb the neighborhood, picking up these morsels where ever he’d lost interest in them. If there was water involved, so much the better. He was nearly impossible to keep in a boat, and equally impossible to get back in to one.

In the too few years we were blessed with his presence, I saw him only twice really demonstrate his diplomatic skills. The first time was when we first brought him home (we adopted him when he was full-grown). At that time the “king” of the neighborhood was a husky, and one had to look mighty far to find a more aggressive dog than “Moses”. Moses’s stock in trade was growling, baring teeth, hackles raised, tail up, barking, etc, etc. Kind of typical school-yard bully tactics. The dog officer visited his owners after Moses had been reported for biting someone. No problem, Moses just bit the dog officer! Given that sort of history, we wondered how this first meeting would play out…

They met in the street. Moses did his usual routine, growling, barking, hackles up, just being as nasty and menacing as he could be. Beau, on the other hand, approached quietly. They met in mid street, I had thoughts of the shoot-out at the OK Corral. When their shoulders touched, Beau just pushed Moses across the street. Once at the curb, he switched sides and pushed Moses to the other side of the street, then he simply walked away, and never looked back. As simply as that, Moses was dethroned, and Beau never, made his life miserable while they coexisted, and Moses never made any of the other critter’s lives miserable either, which had been his past practice.

The other event involved one of our foster kids. He’d been with us for about a week when the social worker stopped by for a visit. She made the mistake of getting between Beau and our charge. Very firmly and assertively Beau let her know she’d over-stepped her bounds, he just pushed her away. No barking, no growling, no bared teeth.

I still laugh when I remember walking with him thru the woods out back, and a couple of real-estate brokers were exploring the area prior to listing a neighboring house. “My god, will you look at the size of that dog!” Then, of course, there was the time he knocked over the hutch… Full of dishes… As big and intimidating as he was, there was one thing bigger, and that was his heart. He was the gentlest with our various foster children and other pets. I’ve been looking for the picture of he and Amanda’s rabbit sleeping together, if I can find it I’ll post it.

It's too bad a few others couldn't learn a few lessons in diplomacy from Beau.

Mr. Know It All
04-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Thank You Ed. smile.gif I needed that.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
04-01-2003, 11:52 PM
Ditto Ed. A lovely picture. smile.gif

Bruce Taylor
04-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Noble creature!

LisaS
04-02-2003, 07:30 AM
Great story Ed.

Lisa

Mrleft8
04-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Beau sounds a lot like my big guy..."Muddy buddy (Mudd)" 130 lbs of fur and compassion.

km gresham
04-02-2003, 08:01 AM
smile.gif

Matt J.
04-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Good one, Ed. I like it.

Unfortunately, Teddy has the same problem as Moses. He wouldn't hurt a fly unless the fly bit him hard, but he's so big and rambunctious, that when he sees other dogs, he gets all excited and barely controllable... I think he needs a couple obedience classes to learn how to behave. He's like a big, uncontrolled (my fault) puppy. But his size makes him incredibly intimidating (about 32-33" to the shoulder).

Beau looks like he everyone's best friend, and that's a cute picture.

Dave Williams
04-02-2003, 12:52 PM
Ed,

Thanks for that! Some depressing things going on around us right now but that made me feel better.

A noble creature!

Here's to kindness,
Dave

John of Phoenix
04-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks. Very :cool:

Paul Denison
04-02-2003, 06:34 PM
That was a breath of fresh air.

imported_Daniel
04-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Ed, I believe the gentler souls of our species have a special bond with the creatures we share this earth with, obviously, you are one of them. Thanks for the post, and the pic. Lovely dog. smile.gif