PDA

View Full Version : arrogant and insulting posts, why?

sigridt
10-22-2000, 08:56 AM
Can we get our ideas across without resorting to arrogance and insults? Yes.

NormMessinger
10-22-2000, 11:25 AM
Yes. In this forum more than any other I've read. I am in awe that some of the subjects covered are delt with so gentlemanly.

--Norm

Ed Harrow
10-22-2000, 02:06 PM
Agree, on the whole the group of people who call this place "home" are paragons of civility.

John Weigandt
10-22-2000, 05:05 PM
Not always... that's why my other subject heading was "Snobs and snot slinging slobs"

I included an insult for both ends of the spectrum. The snot referred to was of course resin... clear gold..boat snot.

One needed only choose the term that applied. No one was left out.. diversity and inclusion... that's what it's all about... along with a heapin helpin of wry smiles and a tisch of sarcasm.

:)

John

Ian McColgin
10-22-2000, 06:02 PM
The nice thing is that usually when we toss an insult it's at least a bit self-depricating.

But in general, I believe that as a community we pretty much sort the vigorous expression of deeply held beliefs (and our concomitant responsibility to respond with vigor) from internet flamers who, thanks be to the System Administrator for whom St Thomas offered seven proofs for the existance thereof, seem to get bored with our tendency to be such wood heads.

Paul Frederiksen
10-22-2000, 10:26 PM
Yeah, there was a post which ran for several pages on political philosophy and I was stunned to see such divergent ideas presented and commented upon without the flaming which is common elsewhere. After you have logged some time here you will see that even when someone gets their ire up they rarely disengage their brains in the process. So occasionally someone will raise their voice but name calling is rather rare her. Confucious said, "He who raises his voice first....looses."

docgoeckel
10-23-2000, 03:40 PM
good prayer i heard and am trying to follow: "lord wrap your arms around my shoulders and your hands around my mouth"

Bob Cleek
10-23-2000, 11:26 PM
Well, if you can't take a little ribbing... you ain't no friggin' sailor! LOL

K.E. Baisch
10-24-2000, 07:53 AM
This is the only forum I visit so I wouldn't know the difference. Besides, I like the insults--reminds me of home.

Nathan
10-24-2000, 08:01 AM
Of course we only tease you cause we like ya. Those we can't stand we ignore.....

Jim Hillman
10-24-2000, 09:53 AM
WOW! I did'nt know you could'nt stand me?!

AngWood
10-24-2000, 01:02 PM
I find it entertaining to try to think up questions that will elicit indignant replies. For example, "I am building my H28 with chipboard and balsa. What sort of staples should I use, or do you think the Elmer's glue will hold without fasteners?"

Ian McColgin
10-24-2000, 01:17 PM
Only if you seal below the waterline with shrinkwrap.

Alan D. Hyde
10-24-2000, 01:19 PM
Sig transit gloria mundi.

Alan

Ian McColgin
10-24-2000, 01:32 PM
Alan.
A pun that Sigrid is a passing glory ?

(I'm sure she's one of the world's lasting glories.)

Or simple misspelling?

Beowolf
10-24-2000, 02:33 PM
I tend to agree with Ironmule. In an effort to show the extent to which we think through our responses to various posts, inserting some form of humor, (sometimes sarcastic...ok, usually sarcastic) is the result. Without it, I wouldn't be checking for the latest posts between every class.

By the way AngWood, I find it utterly deplorable that you would create such an indignity as to build such a craft in the manner that you stated! Why, when I built my H28, I used only the finest teaks and mahogonies and spruces available, $300/gal paints, and an infinite number of coats of varnish. Now if I could only get the friggin' thing out of my apartment!

Later Folks

Jeff.

Alan D. Hyde
10-24-2000, 04:23 PM
Ian-----

I knew of course that it should be "sic,"
but was punning to suggest that sigridt's (and other's) analytic dudgeon had declined in this thread to easy good humor, and that I was ready to be happily resigned to this state of affairs.

Like Scott, I was trained as a lawyer. This, and some time spent with practical matters like building and sailing, have made me pretty skeptical of the value of most a priori thinking and disputation.

"How small, of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure!" (Oliver Goldsmith)

Alan

rickprose
10-24-2000, 04:35 PM
ya see, sigridt, they're just a buncha pussycats...

Ian McColgin
10-24-2000, 04:38 PM
Yeah, it was probably half way between show-offy and condescending towards someone to even ask. I was pretty sure you were punning and should have had confidnece that most everyone else would get it too.

But I like disputation and using words to find distinctions and play with them and reject some options. I have the WB callander so I'm staring at the W boats. 'Traditional?' No. Modern construction methods and materials. 'Classic?' Probably not because it's not old. But 'in the classic style.' For sure.

For
"What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, through puzzeling quesitons are not beyond all conjecture. . ."

Bob Cleek
10-26-2000, 01:13 PM
Totally off the topic, Ian, but your classical reference reminded me... saw a thing on the Roman emperors on the "Hitler Channel" last night. Seems Nero wanted to off his mother and had a "collapseable" boat built which, at the prearranged time, folded up on her out in the Bay of Naples or some such. She swam to shore and he had to have her whacked with a sword after all. It occurred to me that this was probably the first historical reference to stitch and glue boat building, thus making it a "traditional" construction method after all. Seems though they weren't much more reliable then than now! LOL

G. Schollmeier
10-26-2000, 01:22 PM
Bob
LOL
Gary

Ian McColgin
10-26-2000, 01:32 PM
Only if you use CDX with Elmers.

Nora Lee
02-18-2004, 12:29 PM
Oh, for the good ole days!

Nora

Joe (SoCal)
02-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Bob Cleek:
Well, if you can't take a little ribbing... you ain't no friggin' sailor! LOLClassic Cleek :D

Eric Sea Frog
02-18-2004, 01:00 PM
"Because of arrogant and insulting posters".
Sorry I had to wait for the Euro to go up a bit.
You owe me 50.

LeeG
02-18-2004, 03:54 PM
hear, hear,,here here?

J. Wellington Wimpy
02-18-2004, 03:57 PM
I really don't care about apathy and don't know nothing about ignorance.

Stiletto
02-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Where's Cleek now?

NormMessinger
02-18-2004, 05:05 PM
He pops in to Building from time to time, I guess when a topic meets his fancy and he feel he can help. He sure was good help to me as I was building Prairie Islander. I got in on the best of times.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Because it was there?

I am definitely guilty of running hot and cold... it's like civility is eventually overrun by the Mongol horde of insult and rage. :rolleyes: :D

johnw
02-18-2004, 06:58 PM
I haven't had a lot of vitriol aimed at me, and I suspect it's because I try to avoid getting personal. It is possible to disagree with someone without anger.

skuthorp
02-19-2004, 03:00 AM
I also enjoy the philosophical posts and thoughtful comments and look forward to my limited time on the forum. Works fine as long as we stay off 'local' elections!
Bob Cleek, have you ever seen the Jaques Tati film 'Monseur Hulot's Holiday'? nice little scene with a folding sailing canoe that does just that. If youv'e never come across Tati's films there's a treat awaiting!
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=110
:D

[ 02-19-2004, 04:06 AM: Message edited by: skuthorp ]

Wild Dingo
02-19-2004, 04:18 AM
Well... I must admit that I never ever ever get involved in :eek: ... nah that aint right! :D Sometimes I gets involved in slingin matches... but then I type as I think and if Im phissed off well it comes out in me typin... then on a moments reflection AFTER I post the thing I gotta race back an offer me apologies!!! sadly at times thats too late and the words been said the fires underway and no amount of backburning is gonna help quell it... so thats when you let go and walk away from it and let it burn itself out.

Sometimes I wish I could be as quiet and still as our 18th century dwelling mate Ironmule up there but I aint Im me and well like most hooman beans Im an emotional passionate sorta fella... and well I get a dander up and by crickey Im off like a headless chook at a raffle :(

But Im learnin!!! :cool: sometimes its just better to simply walk away for a time or click out of a thread as fast as you click into it... the agro just isnt worth it and no matter how you try you gotta realise you just aint gonna be everyones cuppa tea so theres gonna be those you phiss off just by your presence... just gotta accept it and move on.

Way it is.