PDA

View Full Version : honeysuckle

Larry P.
04-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Well it looks as if our house is finally sold smile.gif :( . One of the things that I am going to miss is the honeysuckle that grows along my back fence.

Question? can I grow new plants from cutings and how would I go about doing it?

NormMessinger
04-22-2004, 09:26 PM
You almost certainly can. Your local nursery may sell a rooting hormone which will make success more likely. Take a cutting, a fresh growing tip a few inches long, dip it in the powder, stick it in wet sand until it forms roots.

Concordia..41
04-22-2004, 09:36 PM
a fresh growing tip a few inches long Well that explains why I lost 100% of the Confederate jasmine I tried to root last month (thought I'd be smart and root big old growth so I'd have nice big bushes to start with... :rolleyes: )

NormMessinger
04-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Well yeah, assuming I know what I'm talking about, which is only what my neighbor tells me. I can't remember for sure but the cutting should not have very many leaves, enough to provide photosynthisis but not so many as to overload the ability of the stem to take up water until the roots form.

Greg H
04-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Some plants want soft wood cuttings and some (like azaleas) need it to harden off a bit. Not sure on those two.
With honesuckle, you can probably just yank some of it out of the ground and replant it, (lotsa water) I know it's hard to kill if you're trying to get rid of it.

Dutch.Rub
04-23-2004, 10:27 AM
...any one know how to get rid of honeysuckle?....

Mrleft8
04-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Where ya movin' to Larry? I'll send you hundreds of feet of Honeysuckle... ;)

Larry P.
04-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Staying on Long Island just moving a couple of towns east. Thanks for the info guys.