PDA

View Full Version : The National Scouting Report

cs
03-04-2004, 07:54 AM
The National Scouting Report (http://www.nsr-inc.com/)

Has anyone heard of this organzation or know anything about college sports recruiters?

This is an orgazation that will assist with recruiting for college. They put together a portfolio which includes (but not limited to) a video, a cd, and a web page, which highlights your sports carrer. They than send this information to perspective schools and in fact he said they send this cd out to every college twice a year. They activilly get involved in the recruiting process with e-mails to coaches and school administrators. They make the prospective student athelete visable to coaches. They help with scholarship searches.

In short you pay them to get your name out and about to perspective colleges to enhance your chances of getting a sports scholarship. All this for $1995 (one time fee). They recomend getting started with this program in your junior year of high, but will take you in your freshman year and help with your recruiting all the way through from start to finish for only $1995.

What do you think? Is this a legitimate organzation or does groups like this flood the market so bad that they would be considered "junk mail" by colleges?

I have a few years before I need to start thinking about this for my daughter, so now is the time to investigate stuff like this.

Chad

George Roberts
03-04-2004, 10:15 AM
It is junk mail. Unless they reject a lot of people your daughter will get lost in the crowd.

If your daughter wants to play sports at a college, find out what the coching staff does in the summer and get her into those programs.

Ken Hall
03-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Chad, this outfit charges two grand for stuff your daughter's high school coaches will do for free if she's good enough for a scholarship.

Bruce Hooke
03-04-2004, 10:36 AM
If you think your daughter has a shot at a sports scholarship what I would recommend is picking a college or two that seem like likely candidates and then make a call (either in person or by telephone, but probably the latter at least to start) on a few people at the colleges to figure out who handles athletic scholarships and then talk to them about what they look for and how they find out about potential candidates. I'd guess that you will find them quite willing to talk to you and your daughter and that you will gain quite a bit of insight into the how the process works.

There are two things that I would keep in mind:

1. Don't send her to any college that will give her some money. When I was applying for college I got some nice financial offers from colleges that clearly had more money than good candidates (these were colleges that I was not even remotely considering). I'm sure I would have left with a degree but the education I received would probably not have been nearly as good as the one I got.

2. On the other hand, a state school can provide a fine education, especially for a student who is willing to go out and find the people and resources they need.

3. If your daughter has the potential to get into a top notch school don't rule that option out just based on money. Many of the best schools still do their best to make it possible for people with limited resources to attend their school, by basically offering in loans and scholarships what they determine you cannot afford.

Bruce Hooke
03-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Ken Hall:
Chad, this outfit charges two grand for stuff your daughter's high school coaches will do for free if she's good enough for a scholarship.A good point...do your daughter's coaches think your daughter is good enough to get a scholarship? They probably have a pretty good feel for who gets scholarships and who doesn't.

cs
03-04-2004, 11:21 AM
I was kinda thinking that they flooded the market.

Yes, I think that she has the potential to win a scholarship (athletic & academic) and this is not just based on me being a proud parent. You guys may have seen some of the photos I have posted of here. She is only 11 years old and doing the same stunts that an advanced 15 or 16 year does. So yes I expect here to be good enough by than.

Bad thing is not many colleges offer athletic scholarships in cheerleading, but UTK does offer 6 full ride scholarships for girls. That is the school I want to target.

I'm starting a little early (she is only in 5th grade), but I feel that this is so important (education that is) that I can not start to early.

Chad

Bruce Hooke
03-04-2004, 11:34 AM
If you know which school you want to target then you are in a very good position to talk to them directly and find out more.

However, I would relax for a few years. It could be that by 9th grade she will think cheerleading is old hat and be onto something else. If she is strong academically she will have some good choices when the time comes.

The son of a friend of mine was a good enough pitcher that his pitching coach (a former major league pitcher) thought he had at least a shot at making into professional baseball. However, he decided he didn't like the looks of what it would take to get there, and that he liked music better -- so now he has a good shot at a music scholarship.

cs
03-04-2004, 12:26 PM
We don't push here in any direction. She does what she does as a choice. The only stipulation that we add is once a choice is made it is seen through to the conclusion (i.e. end of season). Not trying to force the issue, just trying to be preparied. One of the things that we are doing is trying to get her in a school that offers some of the activities that she wants (track & cheerleading) and still offers good education. And she is involved 100% with the choices that we make, although we make the final decission.

Chad

Bruce Hooke
03-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Chad,

I didn't mean to suggest that you were pushing her or taking the choice away from her. I was just saying that so much changes for a young person between 5th grade and 9th grade that it may make sense to hold off on doing much about the college scene until it gets a little closer...

- Bruce

raycon
03-04-2004, 01:59 PM
If you have a school in mind see if they have any summer camps run by that schools coaches/assistant coaches -- sign her up and have them give you a skills assessment at the end.

I'd wait a few years as well.

As for the young pitcher that gave it up. Tell him that a triple -A prospect player now may make $100,000k+ a year -- with a decent signing bonus.

cs
03-04-2004, 02:18 PM
I knew you weren't suggesting that. The main reason for this thread was about whether or not this organzation was for real or not and worth the money. We will seriously start looking at recruiting colleges when she enters her freshman year. At the present we just ensure that she is given the chance (i.e. going to school that offers what she needs).

Lots of good tips here and as we get closer I can imagine that we will be work closely with coaches trying to get her recruited. That is if we are not moved out of country by than and than it will be a different ball game.

Chad

Alan D. Hyde
03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Instead, invest that fee money well, and it will perhaps double in value by the time she's college age.

Alan

Do you know about the "Rule of 72?"

Take the rate at which you invest money (say 8%) and divide it into 72 (72/8). The result (72/8= 9) will be the number of years it will take money to double at that rate. It works pretty well... :D

[ 03-04-2004, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]